Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sustainable Cat Litter

Posted by flowerkitty12 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 16:16

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for good recommedations for sustainable cat litter. I've heard Breathe Free Litterbox Mate pads are good for the environment, plus they're a inexpensive (major bonus!).
Is there anything else out there?
Thanks!
Erin

Here is a link that might be useful: Breathe Free Litterbox Mate Pads

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sustainable Cat Litter

Any of the new. alternative source litters are sustainable. There is recycled paper, wheat, corn and more. I have used the Swheat Scoop for 5 years with good results. Seems like there are new materials coming out all the time.

I would recommend going to a big pet website like Petsmart or Petco and browsing the selection. Just beware - there are as many different opinions on cat litter as there are on politics and religion. You really need to try it with your cat(s).

o

As far as "sustainable" which I assume means environmentally friendly, clay litter is certainly that. Obviously it has its drawbacks, dust being the primary drawback.

o

spedigrees - Sorry, but clay litter is NOT environmentally friendly. It is strip-mined, leaving huge bare, open pits. Recently the companies have been pressured to repair the damage but it is still damaging. There is lots of info on this online.

o

It depends on where you live ... I use pellet fuel made from the leftovers from lumber mill operations. It's ground up, compressed bark and mill scraps.

It takes less transportation to get it to me than if I bought wheat or corn based products from the Midwest.

And we compost the used litter (minus cat poop) for less waste and better garden.

o

Pellets sounded good to me but my cat didn't think so. Some cats that are raised on small-particle cat litter and like the way it feels when they dig in it won't move to the pellets. And my cat sure likes to dig.

o

Blue has a litter made out of walnut shells. I like the thought of it but having tried it now I can say it tracks around quite a bit and stepping on small pieces of walnut shells in bare feet is not a pleasant experience. It isn't bad as a litter so if you have your box(s) in a place where tracking a bit wont matter much then its worth a try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here