Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arkansas_girl

Something better than Frontline? Fleas and Ticks?

arkansas girl
11 years ago

My gosh, I hate Frontline worse a little more and a little more each month. Every time I use it, it makes a nasty mess of her normally lovely silk like fur. Today it somehow managed to run down her side of the shoulder blade and she scratched with her back paw and then proceeds to lick her paw...GAH....that stuff is toxic! It just seems like WAY too much product in a vial for one thing. So much that it just started to run down her back. Then, I always manage to get it on myself and just the smell of that mess gets up my sinuses and leaves a strange taste in my mouth. It's just disgusting, that's all there is to it.

I need for a product to kill ticks also because walking in the woods, there are many ticks here. Is there something else besides Frontline?

Comments (7)

• sylviatexas1
    11 years ago

I've had good luck with Advantage.

It's a chemical, too, but it comes in a small tube & it's very effective.

• arkansas girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes that's another thing about Frontline I find terrible is that stupid little applicator they put it in...don't we pay enough for that stuff that they could afford better packaging? UGH! You can't even use the tip of spread it in because it's sharp and pointed on the sides. Last time I used it, I cut the edges into a circle shape.

I'll have to read up on Advantage.

• harebelle
    11 years ago

I buy frontline in the largest size and use a needle-less hypodermic to apply it. Much better aim that way. And since it does tend to leave an oily streak, I put half on one day and the other half the next. Maybe that would make your life a bit easier. I've used Advantage too, it seems easier and less icky to apply. I used Revolution until it made bald patches where applied.

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

Advantage works well for fleas, though I'm not sure any better than Frontline... but Advantage has absolutely NO effect against ticks (it ONLY kills insects, not arachnids like ticks). one of the best products for tick control is Amitraz, sold as 'Preventic' collars. More effective than Frontline but NOT for use on cats- ONLY dogs. Revolution is probably a bit less effective against ticks than Frontline, but it has some effect and it's not greasy at all.

That stuff you taste in the Frontline product is NOT the Frontline itself, but the oily product that it is mixed with. Frontline's toxicity is very slight, far less than most other pesticides, but I cannot comment on its 'good flavor'- not meant to be tasted I am sure. I have lots of dogs so I don't particularly like this product either when I have to treat all my dogs at once as then there is a large greasy mess on the furniture and them for a day or two. But I don't have a tick problem, just fleas, so I sometimes use Comfortis instead (no grease, and MUCH faster effect), or even Revolution (no grease, but a lot slower effect against fleas).

• arkansas girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lzrddr, thanks for all that information! That makes me feel better that it isn't so toxic. I like the idea of the other poster, harebell, that suggested to use half one day and half the next...I will use a needle-less hypodermic to apply it next time. I still wish the company would package it in a better style...I think I'll write them and suggest! :)

• Nancy in Mich
    11 years ago

Very interesting information Lzrddr! I always hated the smell of my Megan's breath after giving the Frontline treatment and the vet said there was no way I could smell it on her breath. Now I know what it was I was smelling. It was like she had diesel fuel breath! I have been lucky to not have flea problems most years. I tend to treat only after seeing a flea - but I am on constant watch for any signs of them.

• smlaplante
    11 years ago

Have you tried the natural stuff? Diatomaceous Earth is an all natural powder and it helps with fleas and internal parasites.. there are lots of wed sites that tell you about it and it is ok for humans too!!!