Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are cats any more cooperative when taking pain meds?

Posted by phish (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 14:32

I'm debating a mastectomy for my kitty (there is another post on this and I'd love to hear stories from others who have done this).

Anyway, one issue is I don't want to put her through unneccessasry pain. If she were a person I'd say "well at least she can have pain meds to get her through it". But as we all know, cats are not cooperative about taking meds.

I'm wondering if they are any more cooperative about taking pain meds? I'd like to think that on some level they knew the pain meds made them feel better. Or if she is weak from the surgery, maybe she wouldn't fight me as much. Or maybe she would fight and her fight would be painful because of the surgery. Anyway, I'd love to hear if kitties are better about taking pain meds than they are regular medicine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are cats any more cooperative when taking pain meds?

Ask your surgeon about the fentanyl pain patch. It's a patch that is applied to the cat's skin and will provide pain relief for up to about 100 hrs before needing to be replaced. Another option is to see if an oral pain med can be compounded into a transdermal gel that can be applied to the inner ear flap. Or you can just use Pill Pockets, which I have found to make administering oral meds quite easy in most cases.

From what I learned when researching Somer's mammary cancer, though, the surgical center will typically keep the cat hospitalized for a while after mastectomy surgery specifically for the purpose of providing adequate pain relief. It is, from what I was told, a very painful surgery.

Laurie

o
RE: Are cats any more cooperative when taking pain meds?

I had no problem giving my cats pills. The vet told me to use a large bath towel, wrap it around her neck and enclose the feet in it. No scratches or bites that way. It sounds awful, but it works.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here