Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilly316

vet visit

Lily316
13 years ago

My rescued Dachshund Wally who I've had for almost a year went for a well checkup along with my other dog, Ziggy, a Boston mix. 450 dollars poorer I left and all appeared well . But today Wally isn't his rambunctious self. He has eaten his meal as he did last night but isn't up to running after squirrels. They took both dogs away in the back to get blood to check for Lyme and heartworm(both negative on both dogs). Wally screamed when his was done, Ziggy was quiet. Wally had DA2PPV 2 year booster, Heart worm/ Lyme test, three year rabies vaccine, . Plus vet found he had a slight ear infection and now I wash his ears out, wait 30 minutes and give Mometamax drops. Would this be a concern? Should I call the vet? Ziggy is fine and normal today.

Comments (5)

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

I'd call that vet right away.

I wish you the best.

• Lily316
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think he's okay now. He walked three miles and was his usual pulling self despite the fact it's in the 80's today after being in the 40's last week. I just hate vaccines and that's why my five house cats don't see a vet unless they are sick which rarely ever happens. I don't do vaccines with them except the PA rabies law makes me give that one.

• ritaweeda
    13 years ago

I've noticed changes in my pup the last 2 visits, (both involved vaccines). The first time, she was very listless the next day, didn't seem to want to interact with us. Yesterday was the second time and she acted like she didn't want to eat, also this morning. Don't know whether there was a reaction on her first vaccines since she got those at the shelter. So it's hard to tell whether the reaction is physical, emotional, or both. She was more freaked out this time at the vets, hope this isn't a sign of things to come. But then I can't remember ever having a pet that liked going to the doctor. I try to take her on short by-by drives when I can so that the vet visit isn't the only time she goes by-by in the car.

• quasifish
    13 years ago

Glad to hear your dog seems to be feeling better.

I have one cat who is always completely down the day following vaccines. He is lethargic, won't eat or drink from sun up until 5pm. At 5pm it's like someone throws a switch and he's 100% normal. We've been through this a few times- and I'm thinking of vaccinating him in stages next time, or not at all (besides rabies) if the vet recommends it. I don't know if that would make a difference for him, but I've learned that this is how he reacts and that he will be okay- but it still stresses me out a lot.

• User
    13 years ago

Not unusual, in my experience.

Some animals react to vaccinations and some do not.

Some get sore and others do not.

Now, the thing all pets do react to is the owners mood before and after the trip/vaccination. If an animal is reactive to the medicines and the owner is apprehensive/soliticious, the animal has two situations with which to deal. One, the physical response---usually only a short time, and the emotional response. That could last much longer.

The process has to be done. Best way, IMHO, to handle the whole thing is to be as emotionally neutral as possible before/during/after the trip. Rewards are great, but only after the dog exhibits desired behavior and you are rewarding the positive behavior, not because the dog just visited the vet. That alone will banish the bad memories much more effectively.

Dealing with the physical part is emotionally difficult, but keeping food/water avaiable and allowing the animal time to weather the storm, so to speak, is about all you can do.