Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baroo2u_gw

Want advice re: Adoption

Baroo2u
10 years ago

Hi, I'm seriously considering adoption of a blind senior female husky /w diabetis, but not sure what to expect--I've had dogs with many other problems, but not diabetis. I know she'd need injections 2 x daily, but what else? My chief concern is whether or not diabetic dogs need to be carried outside when they get older--I wouldn't be strong enough for that.

Does anyone out there have a diabetic dog who could give me some realistic info?

Comments (6)

• laurief_gw
    10 years ago

I've never had a diabetic dog, but I've had plenty of elderly dogs with and without serious medical conditions. In most cases, they do require assistance negotiating stairs in their very elderly years, usually due to arthritis. This is particularly true of larger dogs llke huskies. Of course, there are other ailments to which elderly dogs are more susceptible, such as vestibular, stroke, and blindness (which is an unfortunately common side effect of poorly controlled diabetes) that may require assistance with mobility, as well.

I commend you for even considering taking on such a special needs animal, and I especially commend you for thinking ahead to your capability to handle certain potential aspects of this animal's future care. It sounds, though, as if you might be wise to consider adopting a smaller, special needs dog ... one who needs your level of compassion and commitment, but who you will still be able to handle if mobility becomes a problem in the future.

Laurie

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your feedback, Laurie. Clover is already blind, at 10. My usual breed is the basenji, a much smaller dog. Both of my existing boys are special needs--failed fosters, basically. However, I've always kept a "real" dog, too--and my female "border shepherd" passed away prematurely in july. Me--and my basenji boys and fosters--enjoy having a kind "mama" dog around, and despite her blindness, Clover is a special girl. I just have no experience with elderly diabetic dogs, and have no idea what to expect.

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your feedback, Laurie. Clover is already blind, at 10. My usual breed is the basenji, a much smaller dog. Both of my existing boys are special needs--failed fosters, basically. However, I've always kept a "real" dog, too--and my female "border shepherd" passed away prematurely in july. Me--and my basenji boys and fosters--enjoy having a kind "mama" dog around, and despite her blindness, Clover is a special girl. I just have no experience with elderly diabetic dogs, and have no idea what to expect.

• blubird
    10 years ago

Having had a diabetic elderly dog, I would say that it is not any more of a given that he/she would need assistance in walking. My Katie, who was a husky shepherd mix, died of cancer but she never needed walking assistance,

What you do need to do for a diabetic dog is that in addition to giving her shots, you will need to test her blood sugars at home to give you tight control. If you live near a Walmart, their prices on insulin and testing strips were really very decent.

In addition, her diet will need to be fairly closely monitored so that she maintains good blood sugar control.

While it may sound like a fair amount of work, it only took a few extra minutes each day to keep a diabetic dog "healthy" and well worth it.

Good luck if you do adopt her, she sounds like a sweetie.

Helene

• calliope
    10 years ago

I helped take care of my mother's diabetic bichon, and it was not at all difficult. The vet did not have us on a blood sugar test protocol, but took them in his office once a month or so. We just had to make sure that her diet didn't vary widely, and know what to do if she had low blood sugar. We got the syringes and insulin at the local druggist, much more cheaply than through the vet. They were fine with that.

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I took too long to step forward--someone else adopted Clover while I was doing my research!

Thanks everyone--my search continues!