Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jcheadley

comparison of artificial grass products

JCHeadley
9 years ago

Is there a way to compare artificial grass products online? It sounds like a great solution for my small, dirt & weeds back yard. My little Lola needs something better. My husband tried to grow grass out there for 45 yrs without success because the large Oak shades a lot of the yard.

Comments (6)

• mazer415
    9 years ago

Although plastic grass may seem like a good idea, especially for dogs there are a number of issues with them. First plastic degrades with time, leaving small pieces around, these can cause issues when a dog or other critter accidently ingests them, or they get into the waterways during a rain event. Many sea cratures ingest these smal plastic bits in large quantities which ultimately kill them. The other issue is that unless properly cleaned bacteria from fecal matter and urine can build up on the plastic surface and even under the "grass mas" which can cause health problems for both pets and humans. How about gravel as an alternative?

• handymac
    9 years ago

Just watched an episode of a landscape show on HGTV---Disaster Landscape or similar where the host and the Beneful pet food company redid a several acre dog park in the South---all with artificial turf designed for dog parks.

My son/DIL have a grass problem as well and are considering the dog friendly turf.

• DMc92040
    9 years ago

We installed artificial turf in our back yard two years ago. Regret it every day. It gets ridiculously hot. You cannot stand on it when the temps get above 80 outside.

We have 1 dog -- the turf is the only option in our back yard for her to pee. No matter how often we saturate it with water - it STINKS!! We have tried vinegar, baking soda, and various other products that are supposed to break down the enzymes ... nothing has worked. We even asked an EZ Turf representative at a home show for their suggestions -- they acted like I was speaking nonsense. Our next step is to try a solution that is supposed to be guaranteed to work on pet odors in carpet - a mixture of peroxide, baking soda, and a small amount of dawn detergent... Fingers crossed.

Bottom line, if you are considering buying turf for a pet -- don't do it. If its too hot for you to stand on, its too hot for them. And if that is going to be their only option to relieve themselves, it won't take long before your yard smells awful.

If you have no pets, and you're looking to install it for ease of care, minimal maintenance and aesthetics -- Absolutely. It looks pretty.

• twilcox
    9 years ago

Have to disagree with other posters. I love my artificial grass and have zero problems with heat, maintenance, or anything else. I just posted to a thread called "Anyone ever use K9 artificial turf for Dogs?". Take a look if you are interested in seeing my pictures. I didn't use the "K9" brand, so I can't speak directly about that, but there are many options out there for turf. Today's turf is nothing like the turf that was available years ago. Also, it is important to make sure that the installation and prep is done properly to get the drainage that is necessary.

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

It's a losing proposition to try to grow grass under trees;
    it doesn't happen in nature, & you'll waste every dime you spend as well as running yourself nuts trying to force it to happen in lawns/gardens/yards.

Under trees or in other shady spots, use ground covers like vinca, or make a fern garden, or just put down a thin layer of mulch, & fence the area off so the dogs don't mess it up.

no mess, no mowing!

• mazer415
    8 years ago

ump the original post was in 2014, please check the dates of posts