Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cat sick after surgery

Posted by JackMurphy10 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 10:53

my cat got spayed 3 weeks ago, then had eyelid surgery last week...she was fine wed-fri she was fine, VERY loveable and happy to be home...purring constantly. She had sort of a hacking attack fri night like she couldnt breathe. Then she threw up all her food early sun morning. now mon morning and her breathing is short and shallow. She is taking a steroid antibiotic cream in her eye, did that weaken her immune system? is it just a cold that she will get over? any home remedies?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cat sick after surgery

Sounds scary. Call the vet as soon as they open. Especially given that she has a fair amount of recent medical procedures, they will tell you what you need to know as far as your next step. Good luck to you and your kitty.

o

Short, shallow breathing sounds like it could be critical to me. If one of my cats was doing such a thing, I'd be on my way to the vet's office already.

Laurie

o

very likely NOT due to eye medication OR a spay done that long ago.. .but I certainly agree about getting to the vet ASAP.

o

Why is she doing a steroid AB ointment in the eye? If it's for ulcers, steroids are contraindicated, and if it's a triple antibiotic ointment, those can cause anaphylaxis in cats when applied to the eye. You may want to ask your vet about that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here