Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drobertson_2008

Dog Eatting Grass

drobertson_2008
14 years ago

Does anyone know why dogs eat grass? I have heard in the past that it was a sign of worms. Is this true?

Comments (8)

• Ninapearl
    14 years ago

there are several reasons. sometimes dogs eat grass when they have a tummy ache. often, they will throw up after doing so.

my 2 great danes girls eat grass because they like it. there are certain places on the farm where they will stop and "graze", something about the grass there. one of them will even munch on hay when i am feeding the horses!

i don't think i've ever heard of worms being a cause.

• User
    14 years ago

I read somewhere certain grasses taste sweet to canines.

A couple of my dogs used to eat grass a lot, with no regurgitating afterwards. My current dogs seldom eat grass.

• weed30 St. Louis
    14 years ago

One of my previous dogs, (terrier mix), ate grass and threw up shortly after. My current two dogs, (a beagle and a shepherd mix), eat grass with no after effects. None of them had worms.

• cheryl_p
    14 years ago

My Born (shep. mix) loved to eat grass. He was quite a connoisseur of it - he had "a nose" for what I guess was the "good stuff". He had his favorite patches (and lengths) but at any new location, he would carefully check out all available patches with a gusto that made me smile. No regurgitating ever.

• carmen_grower_2007
    14 years ago

Because they like it and something is missing in their diets. If you notice, all dogs seem to like the same kind of grass. Also, grass works if they need a emetic.

• doberman_2007
    13 years ago

My Dobie eats grass when she has a upset stomach then barfs, she also eats dirt, sod ,not in that order but something like that.

• kresha
    13 years ago

My girl eats grass. Her specialty is located very close to the house and with a bit of morning dew on it. (I have to admit that i love to watch her) She may find other spots but she will sniff and sniff until she finds that perfect patch. She does not vomit after either. For those that do vomit, if you watch your dog like a hawk like i do, you will notice that your dog did not eat much that day or not with as much vigor as he/she normally would. I would assume that whatever is in the grass is needed to help with the upset tummy. Everything should be fine right after the grass hunt is done. You will find strings of grass in the poop but that is all good. :@)

• doberman_2007
    13 years ago

I must admit my girl only eats grass after a rough night on the town. I tell her every time you drink this happens ,I guess I will become a hawk.