Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konrad___far_north

Hedgehog..why do you have one?

Konrad___far_north
10 years ago

As a pet?

I really don't know why people have hedgehogs, would love to hear your side, I have no experience.
Other then cute looking, pretty useless, can't interact with them.

I'm babysitting one for my daughter, that thing never gets used to me, always hisses at me when I pick her up and wants to roll up. Guess she's not used to me now,...how long will it take?

She poops in the rolling wheel and runs over it,..a bit stupid, lol.
I'm washing her every second day, the wheel every day, yuck! Not sure how many miles she runs every night...allot! She thinks that a night out running will get her into another territory, but when stepping out of the wheel, she finds out that she's back home again lol.

Is my theory correct?

Comments (6)

• eibren
    10 years ago

If it's tame enough not to bite, it's an OK groundhog.

Don't complain.

;o)

ps They're probably more intelligent than they appear to be.
    *Something* opened a large plastic container of birdseed I had in my gazebo a few years ago, when there was a groundhog in residence, by unscrewing the lid..

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's not a groundhog.

Still complaining,. Hedgehog don't make good pets!

And,.. very messy animals, not complaining about the animal, its doing what they're made to be,..it's the people who keep these.

I would much prefer something else, perhaps rabbit, hamster.

• ryseryse_2004
    10 years ago

As far as I am concerned, a 'pet' is an animal that gives back love. Even a canary will react with love when you give it attention - used to have one that would take a shower with me! Hedgehog? Never had one but maybe they are affectionate like guinea pigs.

I don't understand snakes and fish as pets.

• 0nametaken0
    10 years ago

Fish are for looks and their behaviour. For example, some people like keeping puffers because of their personality. You can throw in a crawfish and be entertained on how the puffer attacks it and rips its limbs apart. Different people have different reasons.

• spedigrees z4VT
    10 years ago

IMO a pet is a kept animal that you respect and feel affection for, for its own unique qualities. I find hedgehogs charming little critters for their unique qualities and their defensive spirit when faced with a strange person/intruder 100 times their size.

All pets are not wind up robots who will instantly warm up to a new caretaker, especially one who displays no empathy. (How long would it take you to warm up to an alien creature, say a 20 yard tall humanoid covered in spines?)

I would probably have a hedgehog, were they not illegal in my state, and in-state veterinarians prohibited from treating them.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL...you have a point

Still, ..very messy animals,..that running wheel she runs every night and pups in stinks so badly, ...need to be washed every day, including hedgehog with poop in their feet!

Do you think they do this in the wild,...NO!

Feel sorry for this creature, running in that wheel for hours,
    sometimes to exhaustion and sleeps in it,..I'm pretty sure, has nothing to do with the love of exercise, they want to escape into another territory,...eventually finding out that it didn't go anywhere.

If you love animals like I do,..this is cruel!

Just be aware, new Hedgehog owner!