Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brit5467

Help - my cat was in a fight and is now sick???

brit5467
9 years ago

My male neutered cat Pinkey (9 yrs old) is mainly an indoor cat. But he got out and stayed out all night this past Saturday. When he came home in the morning, he'd been in a fight. Nothing serious, except for his back paw. It had something on it and he was limping.

It may have been bitten. I cannot really tell. I've been watching it. No abcess or swelling. And he's not favoring it much anymore. But it's still too touchy for me to really inspect.

But there's something on it making his fur stiff (don't think it's dried blood) and the odd thing is, he has never cleaned it off. Usually cats lick their wounds, but I have not seen him lick his paw even once. So I'm wondering why that is???

But what has me concerned now is something different and I don't know if it's related to the cat fight. He was getting better each day but then today, he started acting sick.

When I woke up, he had already thrown up a little bit. It didn't look like food. It was more sand colored. There were a little bit of kibbles in it but not much.

Then he never ate all day. He still hasn't. He asked for his food but didn't touch it. Not the soft nor the kibbles. He did drink some milk (I rarely give it to him but didn't want him to dehydrate).

Then, later, he threw up again. Not a whole lot but again, it was a funny lighter color than when he usually gets sick. I figured maybe it was the milk mixed with whatever he had left in his tummy.

He also seems like he wants to eat. He stands in front of his bowl but just looks at it. I even got out his treats and put some in a bowl but he didn't even smell them. He let me feed him two pieces in my hand but didn't even want a third

And he's gone back to wanting to be left alone, and sleeping in secluded spaces whereas he was acting more like himself each day.

I guess my question is ~ is there anything that could be making him sick from the cat fight and possible bite? It just seems odd that he was getting better and then all of a sudden he's sick. I don't know if it's coincidence or something to do with the fight.

I did let him outside with me for a few minutes yesterday but watched him constantly, and didn't see him eat anything unusual.
However, now that I think about it, he did drink a lot of water from a large plate under some annuals I just bought. Is it possible whatever they feed the plants was in the water and made him sick? But wouldn't he have gotten sick soon after, instead of over 12 hours later?

Tomorrow's Friday and I will take him to the vet if I have to because I don't want him not eating all weekend. However, the vet is a long way away and it really puts stress on him. He HATES it and goes nuts. So I try to avoid putting him thru that if I can. Plus, as we all know....it's very expensive.

So I'm just hoping someone else may have experienced something similiar and can share what they know.

Thanks,
Bonnie

Comments (7)

• annzgw
    9 years ago

The water from the saucer could have had something in it that is making him sick but the fact his foot is still too touchy for you to inspect it would lead me to believe he has developed an infection.
    It does sounds as though he doesn't feel well and IMO it's best to let him get stressed from a trip to the vet rather than do a wait and see and chance him getting worse. And if he gets worse, the vet bill will be even higher. : /

• calliope
    9 years ago

He needs to be seen by a vet. Sometimes pain in and of itself is enough to put a cat off their food and local infections can go systemic. If there is a chance your cat was bitten by a wild animal and he is current on his shots, he may still need a rabies booster. Your vet can answer those types of questions for you, I can't.

• Elly_NJ
    9 years ago

Take him to the vet.

Has he been inoculated for rabies?

• brit5467
    Original Author
    9 years ago

He has current rabie shot, thank God. I did manage to get appt. @ 11, so just waiting to leave. Uncle taking me so I can hold him vs carrier, so less stress there.

Thanks to all for quick replies. Will keep u posted...cr

Bonnie

• brit5467
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, we're baack! He's ok. Turns out he was also bit on his haunch (hip). But neither bite was infected and no fever, so happy about that.

Was real concerned this A.M. cuz when I picked him up, he screamed as tho his tummy hurt. So thought he had internal damage. But that was just bruising from hip bite hurting. Vet said even picking up under his arms can hurt his hip since their skin is different than ours...so it pulls on hurt area.

Calliope, u were right about the pain putting him off his food. At least that's what vet thinks. She gave him both an antibiotic and pain shot since didn't wanna give him pain pills on upset tummy. And I'm to call her tomorrow with update.

He's still not himself but he's contentedly asleep in a basket I put in bathroom.

So thanks again for all y'alls help.

Bonnie

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

I'm so glad he's ok Bonnie.

Our cat is also indoors only but years ago I had an outdoor cat and a racoon killed her.
    We now live near the mountains and have coyotes and bears so Lynxsy cannot get out.

Dave

• brit5467
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Dave. Your kind words mean so much !!
    Bonnie