Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brit5467

too soon? cat passed away / want another already

brit5467
9 years ago

Some of you may have read my previous post about my cat being in a fight and acting sick.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pets/msg0400500625643.html?10608

It's not important to read it to understand my new question. I just put the link there in case it is helpful for someone in my situation because as it turns out, I was right.

There WAS something else wrong with him. It wasn't the cat bites. He had acute kidney failure going on and I had to put him down last night at an ER. This is after two prior visits to my regular vet and having him treated for the bites and no one picking up on his kidneys failing.

But that post included info about him drinking water from under a new plants and if that is what caused him to get sick.

I'm not at a place right now where I really care what caused it. It can't bring him back. That will come later when I'm ready to do some research of what fertilizer the nursery uses. But I want others to at least be aware it's a possibility.

May he rest in peace......

Now I have a new question....

I find it very odd that I am already thinking about getting another cat. I know they say it's the wrong thing to do and I need time to grieve. And when I lost my last cat, getting a new one was the last thing I wanted.

But this time is different. I'm sure it's because I miss him. I miss his presence. I miss having a pet in the house.

I live alone. I am often laid up in bed, due to my disabilities, so Pinkey and I became very close over the 9 years. He was loyal, like a little dog and was always with me, wherever I was.

He slept with me on my chest while I watched TV during the day. Or on the pillow beside my head during the night. He followed me to the bathroom and wanted to be on my lap while I 'did my business.'

He was very social, always coming out to see who was at the door and wanted to visit with whoever it was. I even talked to him. And he did talk back. He was very vocal. So he was more than a pet to me. He was my friend. My little baby.

So I just wanted some feedback on getting a new pet so soon. I know I'm trying to fill a void and they say you do that expecting to get another "Pinkey" and when the new pet doesn't have the personality of the old one that you often get mad and end up resenting the new pet.

What are y'alls feelings on this? I'm open to hearing that it's the wrong choice. Or maybe someone did this and it was the right choice. I guess I just need talked out of it if it's not the right thing to do right now.

Thanks for listening and for any advice you may have.

Bonnie

Comments (14)

• christine1950
    9 years ago

I never wait to get another animal after one has passed,otherwise if I waited I probably wouldnt get one. My last cat was 16 when she passed and I got my new one within days,I knew there was one out there that needed my love,so I went to the shelter and was picked by my KitKat. We never forget the ones that passed. I think its great for you to want to give one a home full of love. Keep us posted. Best Wishes Christine & Kit

• emma
    9 years ago

I would start looking for another cat now. I think it will be like taking safe meds for depression. It will occupy your mind and help you deal with your loss.

It could certainly be the water under the bush. People put very serious chemicals/poisons on the lawns and plants. I use fertilizer on every plant I put in the ground and redo it every year. Years ago the fertilizer used on real sod was believed to be the cause of Lou Gerig's disease (ALS). When I first started using the same fertilizer you could not use it on food stuff. The package doesn't say that now, so they must have removed the chem that caused the problem.

I would not ever grow veggies on any lawns, until I had the soil tested for chemicals. Even if you don't use chemicals the people who lived there before you could have.

• brit5467
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Emma and Christine & Kit ! I think I might start looking. I'm ok with the fact that he needed to leave this earth...just not ok with 'not' having a pet to love and care for. Like I said, I miss his presence. I miss the feel of having a pet in the house. It feels empty. Barren. Sterile. Cold.

Just to clarify Emma, the water was in a dish under new plants from Kmart. So I fear the nursery used fertilizer that drained into the water. I saw him drinking it Wed morning and by Wed nite he had taken a turn for the worse.

I could kick myself for letting him drink but it's rare that he's outdoors like that and I"m usually always watching him when he is. But I will have to live with that guilt, I guess.

Thanks again for the encouraging words !! :)
    Bonnie

• calliope
    9 years ago

I doubt it was the water from the plant. I am a retired commercial grower and my greenhouses always had a live-in cat who moused for me. Most of the nutrients given to bedding plants are just not much more than salts of different minerals in the irrigation water. Not anything you'd want to purposely drink, but prolly harmless if lapped up by a cat who found a puddle of it. I'm sure mine did, but lived to ripe old ages. Cats get kidney failure. It's not at all uncommon. I'm sorry for your loss..........he was a pretty fellow. I also had the feeling that I needed a dog to replace our dear ancient schnauzer and rescued one from the shelter within a week of having to put the schnauzer down from infirmities of old age. I did not expect the new dog to be a clone of the old one. Each are unique. It worked out well for the dog and for us. You know in your heart when the time is right to get a new pet. There are so many in shelter waiting for a home.

• brit5467
    Original Author
    9 years ago

God bless you Calliope.ÃÂ I feel I know you.ÃÂ Over the years you have often answered many of my gardening questions in great detail and I've always been grateful.ÃÂ But you can never know the gratitude I feel for the burden of guilt you have lifted off my shoulders.ÃÂ

They WERE small bedding plants and only 4 of them...so I am now comfortable that it wasn't my fault.ÃÂ Now I can be at peace that it was just his time to go.

He was a pretty fellow, wasn't he?ÃÂ I've never lost a pet before that I had for so long or that I loved so much.ÃÂ And I've been fortunate in life to have not yet lost anyone extremely close to me.ÃÂ So this mourning thing is really new to me.ÃÂ I'd expect looking at him would make me cry.ÃÂ But for some reason, I am not sad when I look those pictures.ÃÂ They make me smile and remember how wonderful he was.ÃÂ

I do however, break down every time I go into the bathroom.ÃÂ I expect to hear the pitter patter of the pads of his litte paws coming around the corner, to see where 'Momma' is.ÃÂ I just woke up and that just happened. So forgive me for being so emotional.

So far, seems everyone agrees that they've almost immediately gotten a new pet and it was a positive experience.ÃÂ So I do think that is what I will do.ÃÂ I just need to make my mind up if I want a kitten or a cat.ÃÂ

A while back I was looking around on CL and saw a cat who needed a home because the military family was moving and couldn't take him.ÃÂ I had thought that way, I could spend time with the cat and see if we bonded.ÃÂ

We also have a place called Cat Corner very nearby and they only take full grown cats.ÃÂ I haven't looked at their website lately but know they have tons of them.

I'd love a kitten but fear he/she may not be as loving as Pinkey was.ÃÂ Seems the other 4 cats I've had over the years since they were kittens ended up being somewhat aloof.ÃÂ

Guess that's what made Pinkey sooooo special.ÃÂ He was quite the opposite.ÃÂ What a love bug :)

Thank you again,
    Bonnie

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I don't have cats, but I've had dogs. We lost Topper, a Cardigan Welsh Corgi, to a belly full of cancer after 10 years. Within days my 16-yr-old son said "Mom, there's a great big Corgi-shaped hole in this house."

We had another Cardi within 2 weeks. Yancy was 1-1/2 years old when we got him, and he is SO unlike Topper! But we love him for who he is. It's been 3 years now, and we still reminisce about Topper (as well as our lab that died 9 years before Topper did). There are some things that made Topper extra special; there are different things that make Yancy extra special.

I vote for "get a new kitty".

• Debbie Downer
    9 years ago

You know yourself better than anyone - if you think you're not going to be comparing the new kitty to Pinkey then you won't!! I dont think a new kitty is going to keep you from grieving and missing the unique loving personality that was Pinkey - we cat people know that each kitty is unique and irreplaceable. I don't know who the "they" is you are referring to. Yeah, I think that's probably true for some people (comparing new pets to old ) but I think also that you'll know when the time is right. It may be shorter for some, longer for others.

My experience was that when my old cat was first diagnosed with CRF I went out to get 2 younger cats. I didn't wait til she passed. I dont know what I was thinking - like maybe that could keep me from preventing the grief of losing my old girl. It didnt work that way. I came to love the 2 new ones, but when my old girl finally passed 3 years later - I grieved long and hard. Having other cats didnt keep me from grieving deeply for her. I still cry for her.

Re: adopting a new cat, I think with most shelters nowadays, they usually can give you a good idea of the personality and the history of the cat you're considering - and to some extent help you find a good match. I would look at the adult cats 3 yrs and over- in general they will prefer having lots of good snuggle time and won't be bouncing off the walls as much as a young cat would. Also I think with older cats you cant get a better idea of what their personalities will be like.

What a handsome fella Pinkey is-was! I know he is deeply missed. All the best to you. Good for you for giving a homeless kitty a home - what better tribute to Pinkey.

• socks
    9 years ago

Go get another kitty! While you are experiencing terrible heartache over losing your dear Pinkey, you can at the same time offer the kindness of a home to another kitty who might be sitting in a cage somewhere at this moment. You might consider an older cat if you don't feel up to dealing with a frisky kitten. Hey! Just had an idea....how about two? LOL Take care, keep the good memories close at heart. Oh, and let us know what you do!

Susan

• brit5467
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gosh...everyone here has been so kind and supportive !!!! Have more to say but just got home and at least had to say thanks. But I will be back later tonite!!

Bonnie

• brit5467
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well...so far not one person has said that it's best to wait. I'm glad !!

Kashka, I guess the "they" I was referring to was...I remembered reading an article a long time ago about losing a pet. And it spoke of what I'd said.....that often people rush in trying to 'replace' the pet they lost and they become disappointed. I didn't necessarily agree, but wondered if anyone else had experienced that.

But so far, it sounds like everyone on here had a positive experience. So I say "poo poo" on that article...lol.

And as many have said, I would never expect to replace Pinkey. When God made him, He broke the mold. As Ann said, every animal is special.

Socks, I was actually giving thought to getting two kitties. I've never owned more than one, except when I took in a stray when I already had an older cat. She didn't like it at all...lol. But two at the same time would be a good thing. They could be buddies.

I did at least make one decision for now. I have a terribly junky and messy spare room. It was Pinkey's litterbox room. It is piled with stuff and a lot of it is pretty precarious. Altho Pinkey never hung out in there, for a new cat it would be like a mysterious jungle to explore. And a good place to either hide in or get lost in or possibly even get hurt (falling boxes...lol).

So I decided to get my house in order before I introduce a new cat into it. I want to be able to keep tabs on him/her and don't want a lot of places where he/she can hide while getting used to the new home.

So getting a new kitty is my new motivation for getting my house straight. I think it's best. It's bad enough having to look under beds and in closets for where a cat can hide, much less having that junk room with it's many hiding places that I cannot reach.

Thanks to everyone for all your loving support. And thanks for sharing all your touching stories about your own experiences with loss. It really meant a lot to me and truly helped me.

GW is a wonderful community and has been a great source of comfort for me. Never did I know that my love of gardening and need to ask learn about my flowers would lead me to such a loving group of 'friends' :)

And when I DO get my new baby, I will surely post a pic on here !!

Oh, and thanks to everyone who said how handsome Pinkey was. It made me smile because my best guy friend always called him handsome. And I wanted to add, when I showed him the 2nd pic (him looking back over his shoulder), he remarked on his expression. He was not too happy with me at that moment. I had pulled on the covers he had underneath him so he was giving me a dirty look....lol.

My best to you all,
    Bonnie

• nicole__
    9 years ago

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

I love my cat and still have him and I want 2 more! :0) My cat Peeka sounds a lot like yours.....wow....I wound't want to be without that kind of LOVE! He really did LOVE you!

I'd adopt a couple this time....you sound like you've got a heart big enough to take in a few new friends.

Would appreciate pics of the new room mates when you get 'em. :0)

• brit5467
    Original Author
    9 years ago

THanks Nicole ! Yep he did really love his 'momma'. I've always wanted two cats but never had the change to get both at the same time so this just might be the time.

I sure will post pics of the 'big event'... LOL !!

Bonnie

• nicole__
    9 years ago

Bonnie....... the Humane society has sooooooo many cats here they give 5 away every Wednesday & Sundays cats are free. I got my little boy off Craigslist...free.

Happy pet adopting!

• brit5467
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nicole, funny you mentioned CL. I already checked that out last night but believe it or not, only a couple cats, which I think I want to go with versus a kitten, and no reponse yet. So guess it wasn't meant to be.

We have the SPCA real close by but I had not thought of the Humane Society. I know my mom used to volunteer there to walk the dogs. She said she'd go ask for the meanest, most unfriendly dog because she felt they prolly never got picked for walks....lol. They seemed pretty happy that she picked them, too !!

Thanks for your support !! Cat lovers UNITE !!! :)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County