Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linday12_gw

best carpet for pet owners

linday12
11 years ago

I need advice about carpet.I have 5 small-medium dogs and I am terrible at house-breaking even though we do have a doggie door. They will still pee on the carpet if they get a chance. I want to replace my master bedroom carpet and have seen the Stainmaster with odor resistance, Shaw and a few others, all who claim to be pet urine resistant. What do you guys have and does it really help? Thanks!

Comments (13)

• mazer415
    11 years ago

There is NO carpet that is really stain proof, much like water resistant jackets, they resistant only to a point. They are not great. However the chemicals used in carpet are more likely to shorten the life span of your pets than resist stains. Berber carpets are the hardest to remove stains from.
    Training pets to go outside can take less than a month for stubborn pets, and is more cots effective....Just my 2 cents

• arkansas girl
    11 years ago

I remember seeing an advertisement for some carpet that had a plastic or water proof backing just for that purpose. It was supposed to keep the accidents from leaking through to the padding. I would go to a carpet store and ask them...even if you don't necessarily intend to buy there...just go and look around and ask questions.

• annzgw
    11 years ago

Put in vinyl and use throw rugs if you can't house train, or crate, the dogs.
    DS had the carpet with water proof backing and altho it prevented dog pee from reaching the pad, the carpet held the odor so well that they eventually had to tear out the carpet.

• spedigrees z4VT
    11 years ago

If my dogs were having accidents in the house, I would take them to the vet to be checked for urinary infections and get antibiotics to treat them. Especially with a doggie door, if they are still peeing indoors, it may be so urgent that they cannot get out the pet door in time. Then I would work on house training, using a crate if all else failed.

I agree with Annz, vinyl flooring with washable scatter rugs is the way to go for pet owners. I wouldn't have anything else. My dogs are, and have been, housebroken, but pet accidents can always be expected occasionally if a pet is unwell, or in old age.

• linday12
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all for the input. I guess I really have to get strict about the crating. I have gates but my kids are terrible about keeping them shut (need to train the kids too I guess!). I'll go with the tile floors I have everywhere else and use washable throw rugs.

• Nancy in Mich
    10 years ago

Linday12, I accidentally discovered these quilted mattress pads meant for incontinent adults. I bought a bunch for my DF-in-L, then another bunch for my dogs. If you get rid of carpet, they will want to pee on something fabric, and these wash up really well. Of course, you do need to train the kids to keep the dogs on the side of the gate where the doggy door is, and the dogs have to be trained to use the doggy door all the time, instead of going pee in the house. I am not sure how you are going to break them of this if it has been going on for very long. Try The Whole Dog Journal. They have e-books on training issues like this that you can buy.

Here is a link that might be useful: reusable quilted bed pads

• ryseryse_2004
    10 years ago

I think even for a family with pets that are completely house-trained it makes sense to get a patterned carpet. Our two labs throw up (road kill mainly) every now and then and Spot Shot does a good job of removing stains. However, they also come in with muddy feet on occasion.

We have solid color beige carpeting - the color of our labs but when we ever have to replace it, I will chose a pattern that will hide dirt and stains that can't be completely removed.

I think a counter top the color of ants makes sense for the same reason!

• robertz6
    10 years ago

Even if the dog(s) are house broken, consider the future. My shelter dog did fine for 90% of his life. But the last year, things went downhill.

He was unable to move very well the last six to nine months. Once I came home and found him lying in a puddle of urine; unable to move himself. If I was to get new carpeting, I'd investigate the possibility of something I could take up and wash myself. And if you have a lower level and a dog that will use it in cases of emergency (liquid bowel movement), one day the dog may be unable to use the stairs.

• ritamarie_sc2
    8 years ago

I learned this the hard way, but it is good to.know. I purchased a 100% wool 10 x 13 rug for my living room. One of my cats did not like the.other using the litter box so she started going on the rug. I found a recipe online to remove the odor. It helped a lot but didn't stop.the cat. Each time I saw a,wet place I blotted.it, then literally poured whire vinegar and hydrogen peroxide on the spots. I had to put something under afterwards to.dry the floor and absorb liwuid from the rug. Then when I had my upholstery cleaned, I had them clean the rug. Only after I paid them did I ask how they clean wool.rugs (my sister pays souch to.have hers picked up, cleaned and returned.in place. WELL, I was completely shocked to.learn the carpet cleaners WASH WOOL.CARPETS. So after that did what they said they do. My husband took ut out to the drive way, and I washed it front and back. It has to be turned to dry thoroughly, but don't leave the top with direct sun for several days like I did. I had a bit of fading.

So, you do have this option if you really like the warmth and feel of carpet under your feet. Not all wool rugs are as expensive as some pay for the orientals. Mine was 900. compared to almost 4000. ,my sister paid. Hers has to be a lifetime.purchase. Mine does not, thankfully.

Also,.in.my bedrooms, I bought the padding that has the liquid barrier layer.

Also, another tip I got :, If you do decide on carpet, before installing, wash your subflooring (if not particle board) with white vinegar and hydrogeox peroxide,,When dry sprinkle combo of baby powder and baking soda. Sweep that up so to leave sime in the wood grain. Then again sprinkle a light layer.all.over and install carpet over it with.the pet type padding or the fur babies will.smell where they went before.

It will be chore with 4 of them, but u k buy baby diapers and cut a hole for the tail. Then u should take all if them.out together removing the duapers at the doggie door and coax them out with a treat. When u take off the diapers, note which.one already wet their diaper. Then as each goes you should praise them by name and give another treat. You can reuse the dry diapers using painters tape wrapped as round. The orig tape wint endure. You may find by checkin who.used the diaper that all 4 ate not the culprits.

I.have two dogs, two cats and all but the newest puppy rings a bell hanging.on the door to.let me know. Then they all go out together. But that puppy comes running to.me to see if I am coming, so she's om her way. I do also have a doggie door, but.only..one cat uses it. I also.keep a pee pad on the bath floor for when I am gone.

I.learned a long tome ago, you have to use some of your not really free time to train puppies /dogs. Skip.one tome taking them out on a schedule (for a while) and you are causing the problem. The become accustomed.to going at certain times. You have to.gradually extend it from every hour until a couple of times a day.

Hope ALL this helps some.

• ritamarie_sc2
    8 years ago

Sorry abt typos. I keep hitting wrong keys on.my phone.

• SaltiDawg
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Edit the post??????? (Which is a couple of years too late.) lol

• monarc617
    4 years ago

Put doggie diapers on them if needed. Buy washable ones.