Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black crusts around my cats neck?

Posted by martagirina (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 21:57

My cat has had these black crusts around her neck for a while now, they are around her neck, on the top of her head, and starting to spread on her chest. The skin first discolours and turns black/dark brown, and these crust things are formed, its not a scab, but you can peal them off, they're about 3-5 mm big. The skin under is grey/dark brown/sometimes red underneath, and occasionally looks very shiny. She has little to no fur around her neck, and no fur on her belly. She is a devon rex, and she's hypo-allergenic and is fed prescription food from the vet. I feel like if I don't peal the crusty skin pieces, a lot more form, i'm not sure what to do about it! She finds them itchy, but she's fine with me touching them and looking around, so they don't bother her too much.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get rid of them, and tips will be greatly appreciated !

Other info: she's an indoor cat, but spent almost all of last summer just "tanning" which made her skin a lot darker, she's been inside all winter.
-If I giver her a bath and scrub her neck, the crusts only form after a day or so

This post was edited by martagirina on Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 15:34

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black crusts around my cats neck?

That looks just awful! I would take him to a different vet...there's no sense in a vet just brushing that off! Your poor kitty must be miserable! I hope someone can help and at least point you in the right direction.

Is it possible that it's yeast? Does it stink like corn chip smell (that's how the describe it)?

o

It actually has no smell at all! And yes, we're planning a day to bring her to a local vet to get a different view !

It doesn't seam to bother her a lot, she acts normal, the only thing different is that she occasionally scratches her neck more often

o

Don't waste your money on a general veterinarian. Take your cat to a university vet school where she can be seen by a veterinary dermatologist. She needs an accurate diagnosis and treatment.

Laurie

o

I found this- no idea how reputable the site is, but it may help.

Have you checked the label on the bag to make sure the food hasn't had an ingredient change? Sometimes slight changes get made that can add in that one allergen that sets things off.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabcats link

o

I have heard that Devon Rex cats are susceptible to skin conditions and it's common in the breed. Did your vet discuss this with you?

o

Wow...your vet didn't pay attention to her skin condition. I would have just walked out of his clinic.

Hope your cat finds relief soon because just looking at the pictures makes me itch.

Anicee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here