Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martagirina

Black crusts around my cats neck?

martagirina
11 years ago

My cat has had these black crusts around her neck for a while now, they are around her neck, on the top of her head, and starting to spread on her chest. The skin first discolours and turns black/dark brown, and these crust things are formed, its not a scab, but you can peal them off, they're about 3-5 mm big. The skin under is grey/dark brown/sometimes red underneath, and occasionally looks very shiny. She has little to no fur around her neck, and no fur on her belly. She is a devon rex, and she's hypo-allergenic and is fed prescription food from the vet. I feel like if I don't peal the crusty skin pieces, a lot more form, i'm not sure what to do about it! She finds them itchy, but she's fine with me touching them and looking around, so they don't bother her too much.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get rid of them, and tips will be greatly appreciated !

Other info: she's an indoor cat, but spent almost all of last summer just "tanning" which made her skin a lot darker, she's been inside all winter.
-If I giver her a bath and scrub her neck, the crusts only form after a day or so

This post was edited by martagirina on Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 15:34

Comments (7)