Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my new torbie cat

Posted by luvdogs (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 27, 10 at 20:59

I went down to the high kill shelter to adopt a Snowshoe mix. Of course, they didn't know where he was at that time so i picked another cat.

I had always thought that "torbie" was a misspelling of "tortie". Shows you what i know.

She nurses on herself - she bends her neck to her belly, sucks and kneads. I read that this is due to not enough mothering. She's the size of a 6-month-old cat.
Anyway - she's rather innocent-acting.

I named her Cammi.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
cammi

boy i hope she becomes less timid and more active. She's still acclimating i guess.

o
RE: my new torbie cat

congratulations!

I once fostered a kitten that nursed herself;
she was the last of the litter, kept in a cage at the vet's office for nearly a week, in a very noisy environment.

Nursing herself was her only consolation.

Give this kitty lots of love & she'll learn that she can get comfort from cuddling with "her" human.

o

Thanks sylvia - she doesn't seem to do it when she's alone - at least i've never caught her doing it.

But when i hold her and snuggle, that seems to stimulate her to nurse on herself. I pull her out of it and rub her belly. It's a little disconcerting to be cuddling with a cat who then starts to cuddle herself instead - lol. I bet she had a tough start.

o

poor thing.

maybe snuggling gets her in the mood to do the only thing she knows to do to make herself happy.

As my brother would say, just keep on truckin';
she'll grow out of it & learn that love comes from you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here