Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cat loosing fur?

Posted by SunnyDJ (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 12 at 20:05

One of our fur babies is loosing a lot of fur on her back legs...Of the 3, she is the most timid, likes to stay in 1 of the bedrooms and we're not able to pick her up...She does like to be petted but on her terms...We had a stray kitten (2-3 months old) show up at the door during the summer and of course I took her in....She's been spayed and got a very good health report and is very playful....I was wondering if, change in routine might be bothering the older cat...We haven't changed their food....Just wondering what I can do about the fur loss issue....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cat loosing fur?

I wish I had an answer for you. We've been dealing with "over-grooming" for the past 3 1/2-4 years, first with one cat, and then with both. We are currently feeding them a Limited Ingredient Diet with mixed results (have recently switched to a non-Rx LID food, and there's been an increase in over-grooming again, especially on the part of one of our cats--could be coincidental, so we are continuing along with the new food for now, and monitoring the situation/behavior).

If you haven't had your cat checked out by your vet, I would do that and try to rule out any medical causes for the hair loss. Blood-work can be done to rule out a medical issue and/or allergies, though in our case the allergy-testing didn't provide any concrete answers.

Good luck!

o

Allergy testing in cats is a near complete waste of time as the results are nearly impossible to interpret. Fur loss in cats can be allergies (most common cause) or if the skin is also damaged, a list of skin infections from bacterial and fungal to parasitic. Also hair loss can be due to hormonal problems, but these are rare in cats. And severe malnutrition... but most cats lose hair from excessive grooming and allergies. What is your cat allergic to? No telling usually. Food is about the cause 1/4 of the time... environmental allergies 3/4 of the time (fleas are included in this second category). If it is just fur loss, and no skin damage or excessive barfing of hairballs, often we do not specifically treat this as losing the fur rarely leads to a medical problem. But you can try fatty acids, antihistamines and food trials. Steroids are reserved for those cats with associated medical problems, too.

o

Have its T4 blood test. Could have a Thyroid issue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here