Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chihuahuas front & hind legs giving out

Posted by MeekMeerkat (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 19:50

I have an almost 14 year old chihuahua (he'll be 14 in April), I know that these types of things will happen to dogs as they age but I've only been able to find articles on larger dogs or just their back legs...All of his legs started giving out at once yesterday, and he started wobbling...He tried to get back up but I ended up carrying him to his bed and telling him to stay. My grandfather thinks it's just muscle weakness or artheritis, but I'm concerned it could be something more serious...I would enjoy a second opinion before taking him to the vet, this has supposedly been going on for about a week but I've only witnessed it once and haven't been around to witness it more times.
Please help if anyone has any knowledge on this matter, I would appreciate it fully - thank you very much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chihuahuas front & hind legs giving out

Get him to the vet for a full evaluation asap. I seriously doubt the problem is going to improve on it's own and I don't think it's just arthritis.
Keep him confined until you see the vet so that he doesn't injure himself and make things worse. Be sure to carry him outside to do his business and keep food and water in front of him.

o

Could be several different things, some serious, some less so. As an illustration, my then 9 yo lab had 2 or 3 episodes of having his legs collapse under him over the course of less than 2 weeks. He first was wobbly, then went down and was unable to get up. In between he had no other symptoms. We took him to the vet where it was discovered that his spleen was enlarged. Fortunately we followed up with various tests and he needed his spleen removed. We were lucky that he had a benign tumor which was removed. It is exactly a year later and he's doing just fine.

All that to say, get your dog into the vet for an evaluation.

o

Yep time for a vet visit....Good Luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here