Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elly_nj

Shelters

Elly_NJ
11 years ago

To reduce shelters to "Kill" or "No kill" betrays a lack of understanding. To suggest to people on this forum (or anywhere) that all shelters "kill" stray cats (seemingly capriciously, arbitrarily and without thought) is, well, to say it politely, ill-informed and passing along your limited understanding.

Not all cats are automatically euthanized at shelters. Sheesh. Really. That is offensive to the people in shelters across the country who dedicate their lives to saving other lives.

And if the shelter near you is limited in its resources and space, how about considering fostering some of the adoptable animals they have to euthanize? How about everyone interested in helping the overpopulation of animals that burdens many shelters by doing that?

At my local Animal Welfare Center, we have a strong volunteer foster program that places unsocialized cats for socialization, sick cats and dogs for care, and kittens for growing up to an adoptable age/size. This increases their chances of being adopted.

I am fortunate that they also have a hospice fostering program that allows me to take in old, sick, otherwise unadoptable cats who yet still have months maybe years of quality of life. Yes, cats like that, often surrendered because they are old, sick or their beloved owner died, need people with room in their hearts and homes to give them tender love and a bed to sleep in for the last months of their sweet lives. In the last 2 years I have fostered, and lost, 5 cats. You can do that, too.

Not all shelters have access to such resources. Don't slam them Help them.

Here is a link that might be useful: St. Hubert's Animal Welfare Center

Comments (6)

• debd18
    11 years ago

Over-react much? I wasn't slamming shelters in the other thread. I realize many of them work very hard to place pets, even supplying dog obedience classes for them to make them more adoptable. The fact is they only have so much space, due to the behavior of other people and not because they're uncaring. The other post was about a feral cat that she stated is mean. I just felt that she should be aware that if she traps him, he likely won't find a home. You haven't changed my opinion about that.

I called rescues in our area about some feral cats and none of them would even return my calls because they're completely overrun. We also recently found a very beautiful, sweet and friendly young cat and had to beg the local no-kill shelter to take him. They have over 800 cats they can't place.

And no, I'm highly allergic to cats so I won't be adopting any. Not all of us are in a position to do that. Nor have I ever contributed to their overpopulation.

• Elly_NJ
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The cat may have been adoptable although homeless. We have gotten many toms and found homes for them. We can do so because of our resources, volunteers and the public included.

Nor have I ever contributed to their overpopulation.

People contribute to the cause of Animal Welfare in different ways. Your words are harsh and unhelpful.

• debd18
    11 years ago

You are just reading more into my post than I wrote. You can't guarantee that poster that the cat on her property will have a happy ending if she traps him. I resent the implication that I'm somehow harming animals by suggesting that he may not find a home. I'm through talking to you. You can find another target for your ridiculous rants.

• sandywc
    11 years ago

Elly thanks for telling more about shelters. It isn't a cats fault that it is homeless and ended up having to fight and scrape for food. It is always a touchy subject when shelters are involved and I appreciate your input. It's my last resort but I may have to consider.

• Elly_NJ
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good luck.

• trancegemini_wa
    11 years ago

off topic deleted

This post was edited by trancegemini_wa on Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 12:39