Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cat Back Spasms

Posted by jerseygirl_1 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 9, 09 at 18:15

My 9 yr old short-hair male cat seems to be getting spasms in his back. He tries to run from them and then starts licking the area. They only last seconds and he is not in any pain.

He is an indoor cat. No fleas and no other behavior changes.

Can someone give me ideas of what can be causing the spasms? I'm not getting specific enough information from Google.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cat Back Spasms

Meghane will provide a list, I think.

In the meantime, it would be a good idea to have the pain and problem addressed by a vet, as opposed to Google.

o

I have not issues going to our vet but I usually like to get an idea of what can be going on.

o
hyperasthesia

Hyperesthesia, slipped disc...?

o

Can you explain what they look like at all??

o

The behavior you describe is exactly what happens when one of my cats is bitten by a flea. Just because you're not seeing any fleas doesn't mean they aren't there. A single flea bite can be extremely irritating to a cat who is sensitive to them. If you haven't already treated your cat with Advantage or Frontline, I recommend you do so now. Do NOT, however, use any other types or brands of storebought flea products. Many of them are highly toxic and have been implicated in the serious illness or death of numerous cats and dogs.

Laurie

o

I have one dose of Frontline from last year. I will apply it on him tonight.

o

My female Tuxedo cat Minou who is about six or seven, has back spasms pretty bad now and then - she doesn't meow, she just runs all over and the spasms last intermittently sometimes for up to 30 minutes- her rear legs often twitch when she is at rest and she tries licking them - she is perfectly normal most of the time 95% - she sleeps a lot is active in the evenings and drinks lots of water. She is an indoor cat I had her wormed by a vet when I first rescued her at a prison where I was employed in 2007 and she is an indoor cat who is petted and adored and is a wonderful companion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here