Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

Does this look like a chow mix to you?

Fori
13 years ago

The people who dropped off this litter of puppies at the shelter said that the pups were 1/4 chow. I'm thinking that perhaps anyone bright enough to end up with a litter of unwanted puppies might be confusing their Chinese breeds. My guy is not at all fuzzy (and no black tongue)! I suppose it's impossible to tell, really...whatcha think?

The other alleged breeds are more apparent.

Comments (19)

• Elly_NJ
    13 years ago

100% cutie pie breed.

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

That long nose & narrow head & tipping-over ears make me think of Collie.

It seems to me that long hair is recessive, & I've seen Chow mixes with short coats.

He does look like a very intelligent & warm-hearted dog, so I think you done good!

• Fori
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. :)

Yeah, he's cute. Has a little trouble staying in a bean bag though. He's supposed to be half German shepherd dog and his fur is too short for that, but he's shepherdy enough--when the wind hits him right his ears stand up. :)

• reneeny
    13 years ago

wow, what a cutie. you sure did good..looks loving too.
    My son's german shephard had a black nose like that....

• pamghatten
    13 years ago

100% Heinz 57 mutt, and an awfully cute one! LOL, I assume you meant he has trouble staying on a bean bag chair? That's what I am imagining .... LOL!

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

Very cute pup! I see shepherd and collie as the most prominent or obvious breeds, but only a dna test can reveal a better picture of his ancestry. Congratulations on your new family member. He certainly is an appealing little guy and I can see why you picked him.

• Fori
    Original Author
    13 years ago

He's not too bad, for a dog. :)

He loses the collie look when he's in action (not that he's all that active, thank goodness!):

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

Wow, what a difference the perspective makes!

Now I'm thinking black "eyeliner" & muzzle look like Chow, & the color & look of his coat make me think of Lab.

• Elly_NJ
    13 years ago

What color is his tongue?

• calliope
    13 years ago

My guess is a Great Dane mix, maybe dane/dobe..........I've seen them with ears like that. Did someone at the shelter guess the breeding? I have seen some real whopper labels on our local shelter dogs. LOL.

• Fori
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jeepers don't scare me with those big dog breeds! He's already too big!

Pink tongue and mouth (but black lips).

The shelter was told by the people that brought in the litter that their dogs were a German shepherd and a pitbull/chow cross. He looks a little like a shepherd and he's got a bit of the pitbull skull, but honestly, what the heck does a chow look like under the fur? I have no idea!

He snores, is yellowy red, and has a wrinkly forehead, and that probably doesn't make him a shar pei. :) Just a mangy mutt. We like him.

• coconut_nj
    13 years ago

I can actually see that cross they said he was. I have a friend on a pitbull forum whose dog is a german shepherd/chow/mastiff cross. He looks a lot like your dog. Her's just has a bit more of a wrinkled forehead. People always ask her if he's a shar pei mix..lol. He's very cute. Good luck.

• calliope
    13 years ago

Coconut, now that she threw in the pit bull, I can see it too. He's a beautiful dog and aside from community regulations and insurance issue, I don't have an issue with pit crosses as long as the owners know and exercise the appropriate responsibility. I know of a few wonderful pitties. But God, I wish people would stop randomly breeding them, because there are far more of them than responsible owners.

• mazer415
    13 years ago

You know my last dog looked EXACTLY like yours save mine had a mask. You can not tell what your pup is right now, too young. By the time my dog was a year old he looked completely different from when he was younger....wait a bit, you will see.
    By the time my pup was 6 months he had a fluffier tail. Husky and started growing and would not stop - Bull mastiff. Those at the shelter said he was shepherd mix...was not even close.
    My friends dog was labelled a pit and malinois mix, she was malinois but she also part boxer not pit. I was watching her play one day - she used her front paws for everything and had that great underbite. My friend was stunned and saw exactly what I saw - sometimes behavior will help you figure out lineage.
    Kudos to you for adopting a mixed breed, Good luck

• sometimesweet3_aol_com
    13 years ago

Hi,
    In my opinion the puppy looks like a Shepherd Labrador mix. Very cute!

• SoTX
    12 years ago

If you REALLY want to know, Jeffers Pets will get you DNA for$29.95. Good people to deal with, regardless.

I don't see chow and I'm looking at one, but who knows?

• amyta
    12 years ago

I see the pit bull plus shepherd plus ? . I think it would be great fun to do the DNA test!

• anadjeannie_aol_com
    12 years ago

I have a puupy thats half pit bull and chow thats what my vet told me but then his assistant said have sharpei and pitbull because the tongue is not black so i am going to have to listen to the vet.

• singleton165
    12 years ago

Some friends has what they thought was a black lab mix, but did the dna tests and that came back with a mix of everything BUT lab! That dog is loved, no matter what breed he is.
    Your boy looks very happy and that's all that matters!