Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nativeflower49

My Cat Pee's on my bed daily HELP!!

nativeflower49
13 years ago

I noticed about three weeks ago that my 5 year old cat began to pee on my bed, I keep the litterbox in the bathroom and the door is always open for them to have access. I wash my comforters, bed sheets more than twice a week and its getting very frustrated. I have no clue to why she is doing this but I cannot allow her in my bedroom during the day I keep my bedroom door closed and I have another cat shes is 8 years old and she never had peed on our bed or the floors like my other cat does. We do have a new dog which needed a home its part pit & boxer very friendly and playful an adult size dog. I need to know if someone can tell me why my cat pees on the bed when she knows where the litter box is?

Comments (11)

• cynthia_gw
    13 years ago

Maybe she wants more dogs in the house.

You brought a dog in and didn't give the cats their own safe place and slow intros? That's stress. Think about what's going on in your house. Also get kitty to the vet to rule out UTI. And you need more litter boxes if you have two cats.

• wombat1071
    13 years ago

I had the exact same problem but my cat also peed on the living room couch! I took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with feline interstitial cystitis which is pretty ideopathic, meaning they don't really know what causes it. My vet sent me to a website that you can search for called "Indoor Pet Initiative" run by a vet school, I think Ohio State. What I learned from the website was that his bladder lining was irritated from concentrations of chemicals in his urine and I should be feeding him only canned food. My vet gave him a week of painkillers, I switched to ONLY CANNED FOOD for all my 3 cats, and I have had no flare ups since this happened.

Since then, I've learned that cats should only eat CANNED FOOD regardless because dry food dehydrates them and has terrible nutrition.

And yes, try adding another litter box in another area.

If the cat is in pain, it's not the cat's fault. Don't yell at it. Probably it will not have an infection though so a blood test won't show anything. You can try switching to CANNED FOOD ONLY immediately and see if that helps by itself.

I wish you the best of luck!

• wombat1071
    13 years ago

Sorry, I told you wrong in the first post.

• pamghatten
    13 years ago

First rule out anything medical, most likely though, it is the stress of the new dog in the house.

• nativeflower49
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well the dog does not stay inside in fact he prefers to be outdoors and once in awhile I bring him in and let him go back out. My cat still seems to be peeing on the bed so I put her in the garage at night time and she will remain there but during the day I let her roam the house and keep my bedroom door closed. I had thrown away lots of comforters because I am fed up washing them and then she pees on them again but not the garage is her sleeping pad.

• v_lacroix_hotmail_ca
    13 years ago

I can't help you with the cause, but make sure that you wash everything that has been soiled with a CAT URINE CLEANER. Laundry detergent does not remove the scent that your cat left on it, and will keep urinating on your bed if it still smells like its toilet. Good luck, I'm having the same problem.. and my cat is only 9 months old :(

• Elly_NJ
    13 years ago

How many times do we have to say this? If your cat suddenly starts soiling outside the litterbox, take it to the vet. That is a sign of a urinary tract infection, and it is painful for the cat.

Why would you have a pet and not take proper care of it? It can't take care of itself.

• cynthia_gw
    13 years ago

This one is starting to look a bit trollish with the dog who is let in the house 'once in a while'...

• All About Cat's
    8 years ago

Stop cat peeing on bed. If your cat is peeing on the bed, it means that something is wrong. The probable reasons can be like she might be sick or stressed or may be she dislikes her litter box. During this time all you need to do is to be patient and follow few simple steps to know your cat’s problem of peeing on bed.

• 1 Consult Your Veterinarian

If inappropriate urination has become an issue with your cat, the most important thing you can do is make an appointment with your veterinarian. Your cat’s doctor will perform a physical exam and urinalysis to determine if the problem is medical. Urinary tract infections and kidney failure are just some of the common health issues that either cause a cat to produce more urine, or add an increased urgency to urination. If your cat is given a clean bill of health, you can then move on to addressing environmental or behavioral issues.

• 2 Observe the Social Dynamics

Conflicts between multiple cats, or the introduction of a new cat, may cause inappropriate urination. Occasionally, the case may be that your cats got into an altercation in or near the litter box and it has left one of them with associated bad memories.

• weathy
    7 years ago

When cats pee where you can see them/it, they are communicating to you. They are saying, "Something is wrong. I am sick." Take that cat to the vet. (I know this post is years old. This is for anyone reading it with a current problem.) And immediately switch all cats to wet food. Dry food eventually, after years and years, cause UTI and or kidney problems, usually until it kils the animal. Ask anyone with a cat who has has passed what the cause was. Its usually kidney failure or related. I know this is a generalization. It's also been true of anyone I;ve ever asks dhow their cat died, if by disease. Please feed your cats highest quality/moisture content wet food.