Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New dog question

Posted by lily316 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 16:01

You guys helped me with my pack mentality dog walking question, and I have started trying a different way in treating this. Now I have another question which doesn't need solving because it is a good thing. My Boston, Ziggy constantly threw up in the car. Never ever at any other time..just in the car. It was unpredictable. Some times he would be okay for long rides and would throw up coming down our street. Other times he would throw up a block away from our house. It seemed it was at least every other time. We got Wally, the Dachshund ten months ago, and they both ride in the back of our Prius. Never once in all those 10 months has Ziggy ever thrown up. Instant cure. Never a relapse. Why would this be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New dog question

just like people, some dog are more prone to motion sickness. Especially puppies and dogs under a year their , they are more prone to motion sickness because their skulls and internals are still growing.
My pup threw up until he was 6 months old, my friends dog refuses to ride facing foraward and only rides in the car looking out the back window, anothers dog wont get into the back, but insists on have the vent on, and sticking his face in the vent the entire ride (we call him a vent rider)....

o

sometimes, we just never have answers. it could be that he's more relaxed with a traveling companion and that has eased his anxiety about riding.

when i got pea (146# dane), she had NO clue how to get in and out of a vehicle. we had to LIFT her into the back seat of my truck. when i got home, i had to leave all of the doors open for 30 minutes before she finally figured out how to climb out. it took her a few times to get comfortable with riding but now when she hears the keys jingle, she spins in circles and can't WAIT to go!

o

I think you may be right.He might have had anxiety about riding in the car, because he threw up for almost two years, and as soon as he had a traveling buddy it stopped. You should have taken a video of your dane trying to figure how to exit the car. Great Danes are the sweetest dogs on earth.

o

Benadryl can help with this. Ask your vet how much to give. Benadryl has a side effect that stops motion sickness. I've used it myself and it definitely works!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Pet Nanny and Dog Walker

o

LOL lily, i was so flabbergasted that she didn't know how to do it, i never thought to have the camera handy. she looked SO confused but finally figured it out. hmmm, maybe she was playing me for a fool and just wanted to go for another ride!

yup, i will never be without at least one dane. they are just big ole giant lap dogs, for sure!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here