Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roobear_gw

Finally, no more poop eating.

roobear
14 years ago

After trying every product under the sun with no help we finally broke down and bought a remote shock collar for our dog after two years of severe coprophagia issues.

I was planning on getting a remote citronella one instead, but was advised that over time they can get desensitized to the smell and then the training no longer is effective. I thought for the longest time that shock collars were cruel but actually they are better then I was expecting. I can choose the intensity of the shock and tried it on myself first, feels more like a tingling sensation, no pain and extremely short, just meant to get the dog's attention to change.

This was a last resort choice as she was getting sick too often from this really bad habit. She started eating poop when she was two and has continued with it ever since. She eats hers and our other dogs, she has always been on healthy dry foods like Wellness, Innova, California Natural, Nature's Variety etc., so I don't think it's a nutritional issue for her, it's most likely an O.C.D. behavior thing.

We did try all the pills, over the counter and from the vet, the natural stuff like pineapple, meat tenderizer, hot sauce, and different training commands "leave it" etc, with no progress. Walking her on the leash all the time works and is what we did for a while, but it became difficult because she can take up to 20 min. to go potty while on leash (she's always been like this never going to the bathroom on walks), specially not fun on very cold winter nights or when you need to leave soon to go somewhere.

She's been using the collar for 2 weeks now and has been doing great, I rarely have to correct her with a shock and always try the sound button first, which usually works. There have been several successful times where she doesn't even try to get near the poop. I can go back to picking up poop outside every couple of days and not worry about her gorging herself on it. She only wears the collar when she goes outside to go to the bathroom and so far has let me put it on her without hesitation or fear. I'm hoping in the future she'll get to a point where I won't be correcting her at all except a few times a year if she starts to revert.

I've also heard that the wire basket muzzles can work as well, probably if you add a stool guard but her obsession is so strong I thought she would find a way to mash the poop through the muzzle and lick it off.

Comments (74)

• junglehouseil
    10 years ago

Roobear - did this continue to work? I see your last posting in 2010. Has the collar continued to do the trick. Were you ever able to take it off and have your dog continue to leave the poo alone? Our dog is obsessed with her own and rabbit - we were hoping that at the 1 year mark she's grow out of it. It clearly is an obsession. Just recently started sneaking around the house - to poop and eat it and we've recently caught her. Either this has to stop or we'll have to find her a new home. We've never had a dog with this issue. Any update?

• roobear
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes the collar works as it's intended, as long as we put it on her before letting her outside to go to the bathroom, she usually doesn't try to eat poop.

She only wears the collar when we let her outside in the fenced in backyard by herself, she never wears it any other time. She's had a few times with the collar on over the past 3 years where she considered eating some, the winter time is harder as the frozen poop is of more interest to her, but if she tries to, just giving her the warning sound beep with the remote and she stops immediately and runs right into the house. We watch her from the windows when she goes out with the remote in hand just in case.

We haven't needed to use the shock part of the collar at all since when we first bought it. She is far more likely to try to eat poop if she doesn't have the collar on and knows the difference.

I'm not really concerned about her poop eating from a health standpoint necessarily, I mean we feed a raw diet now and I'm not concerned about the bacteria, I know she can handle it. What I didn't like was her binge eating on any poop I missed picking up, and then her coming inside and throwing it up on the rugs, that was too much for me.

This post was edited by roobear on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 19:25

• JoppaRich
    10 years ago

"You would think that her brain would associate the nausea with the mushroom eating but it was her favorite activity and caused health problems that lasted her entire life."

Conditioning doesn't work like that. If the result isn't almost instantaneous, no association is formed. The dog doesn't have the capacity to understand that it gets sick a half hour after eating mushrooms, it just knows mushrooms are tasty. A half hour later is an eternity.

• chickadee4
    10 years ago

Roobear

My first dog a yellow lab loved to snack and roll with cat feces. Over time I learned to keep her in the bathroom to make clean up easier. Presently I have an Aussie who loves eating the golden retrievers piles. She only eats his . She does not eat hers or the other male dog's stool.
    She is exercised every day regardless of bad weather or my off days. On my bad days I hit tennis balls or we take long bike rides.
    Makes no difference if I yell scold, remove, supplement vitamins , exercise or give her a job she eats the poo. She knows I am not happy. She will sneak to the pile hoping I don't see her . On the days I need to leave them in the yard she will devour the stool. Jeeze I have had to rip out carpets from the after affects.

Glad to read you found a way to discipline your dog.
    Having tried to stop my BM muncher I get why you used the collar. You were not lazy. You exhausted other learning tools and it didn't work.
    I have a deaf dog who insists on peeing on the female dog. How do you clean the dog in ten degree weather?. I have been taking out the deaf dog first but when we go for our long hikes he nails her. I have a thirty foot horse lead that I use so I can physically tug so he gets schooled. Sometimes I manage to hit him with a snow ball.
    I don't see using the collar as being lazy but a stronger discipline.
    I live on acreage. Even though I live in a rural area I walk my dogs four times a day . I never let them hang out without me since we have hybrid coyotes .
    If I can not get the male dog to stop peeing on the female with the horse lead I just may use the electric collar . Why? When the deaf dog marks the female dog the cat then sprays her too.

We did a raw diet for a few months . This is when the Aussie started eating the golden retriever's poo. I believe he does not process his food as well so she sees it as snack time.

• CastawaChi
    10 years ago

After reading this I have decided to get a remote shock collar for my dog. I am pretty close to losing my mind. My diligence and effort, not having her get a single snack of poop for two weeks came to nothing when I let her outside and was talking with my roommate for a minute or two only to turn around and finding her having a poop snack. She is only 9 months old, but has insistently eating her, and now beginning to other dogs, poop since she was 6 weeks. She is as good as gold when I am watching her and there to let her inside right after, but having to stand outside in -30 for 20 minutes every day has gotten old. I would like to be able to leave her outside during the summer without having to find her poop everywhere.

I have also tried everything I can imagine, and everyone keeps telling me 'she will grow out of it'. I have tried teaching her to 'leave it', which she does perfectly. She is very obedient for an Afghanhound. When that did not work I put hot sauce, and bitter spray on the poop but she figured that out fast. It also requires me to wait for her to poop and watch her eat it. Ugh. Then I tried pumpkin, pineapple, meat tenderizer, probiotics, for-bid and a few other things said to stop poop eating. None of that worked, or slowed her down. I tried rewarding her when she left it and scolding her when she did. I also pick up her poop everyday, there is no poop in my yard. I don't mind picking up poop, I would prefer to pick it up than to leave it there for myself. If I did leave one she usually won't be interested, she only likes poop fresh but who knows if that will change when it warms up.

Also, to those shock collar haters. I have used a shock collar on myself before. They really are not bad. Like any training tool, it need to be used sparingly and properly. Of course it will become cruel if your shocking your dog over every little thing. It is made to be a correction, not a punishment. Nothing good comes from all positive training, a dog will know what to do, but with no consequence for disobedience, they will have no reason to be obedient if they don't feel like responding. Tough love, but in the end proper training creates less conflict and a more comfortable and understanding environment.

• Debbie Downer
    10 years ago

Not having much knowledge about dogs, I have to ask.... what is it with dogs anyway that they are doing this. Is this something their canine ancestors did... I mean if they are by nature carrion eaters, maybe from their point of view poop isn't all that different from rotted meat? Or is it some kind of compulsive behavior or psychological disorder, and if the latter what is the cause? On another forum Im reading about dogs actually dying eating things like sand and golf balls and it's alarming to say the least.

• CastawaChi
    10 years ago

There are several reasons people think dogs eat poop. Nutrition, boredom, OCD, anxiety, taste and plain hygiene. Generally it is believed to be a self-pleasing behavior, and that is why it is so hard to break. Like barking and tail chasing disorder. I mostly think it is probably boredom and anxiety. Also I am pretty sure some dogs get a rise out of their owners yelling at them and chasing them away. However I don't really know. I just can not comprehend why any animal would want to eat their own feces or the crap of something else.

For my puppy, she has been eating poop since I met her at 6 weeks. Probably she had been eating when she was with her mother as well. She never grew out of the habit.

• maile1
    9 years ago

Hi there, sorry you may get this as a DOUBLE msg!
    Please tell me what kind of shock collar did you use? I would appreciate this info. and how does it work? I supposed the collar will come with instructions, but which one do you use?
    I got a very sweet dog with this GROSS behavior and I have tried just about everything.
    I am so exhausted, sleeping with 1 eye opened and even having night mares that she has gotten out to eat poop because I am asleep.
    Thank you so much for your prompt reply!

• emma
    9 years ago

There was a dog training show on for awhile and the lady said they eat poop because it was not digested well and still tasted like food.

My sis's lab would jump the fence the minute got out the door. She bought a shock collar and broke him of the habit and probably saved his life by using it.

• sisserydoo
    9 years ago

I've been trying to get my beagle to stop eating rabbit poop for 2 years. I keep her on a leash while we're out. She has an amazing nose and can smell the poop from about ten feet away, even one little piece! We don't have a fence, and have a large yard in the country, so cleaning it up isn't an option, since there's probably more than 50,000 poops out there! Lately, I think she's been holding her business so we can play the fun game of her trying to find the poop while I pull her away. Should I just give up and let her have her fill?

• slwkimmel
    9 years ago

I realize I am reading this almost 5 years after the initial post and almost a year since the last post, but want to thank you roobear for your post and also check on how things are going. My 13 month old golden retriever has the same issue. We only got her at 6 months and she lived on a farm before that. I have heard that mother dogs eat their pups poop to keep the area clean, and I am also quite sure they did not pick up the poop on the farm, so have often attributed this disgusting habit to that. My dog does not eat her own poop, just others - dogs, rabbit, deer. And she can sniff it out from great distances. She is rarely out in a yard. I walk her at least 4 times a day for long periods of time, train her and play lots of fetch, so I do not think boredom is the issue. I walk her on lead to control her habit, but go to an area where there are other dogs and do try to let her off lead a bit to run and play. I almost always pay for it though, as she will play for a bit but then take off for a wooded area, dig through 2 - 3 feet of snow and find some poop. I have worked on leave it, recall, sit/stay, all of which she does very well except when poop is involved. I bring special treats like cheese and bananas to try to entice her back to me, but nothing seems as appealing as the poop. Just last night my husband and I were discussing the idea of the shock collar and then today someone sent me the link to this article. So as I said in the beginning, I would love an update on how things are now. Do you still need to have the collar on your dog?

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

"I have heard that mother dogs eat their pups poop to keep the area clean..."

Actually, that's not the reason. A lactating female eats the poop and laps the urine to re-cycle any nutritional content the pup was unable to process from her milk. The pup exists to take in food, process it to create body bulk, and excrete the rest... until the next meal.

This distinction may be shown to be correct because within a couple of hours the mother will stop this behavior following the first introduction of solid food - i.e. beginning the weaning process.

Were the motivation keeping the area clean, that motive would still exist following weaning.

• gemmom24
    9 years ago

So glad I found this post. We have an 6 month old English lab and she's been eating her poop ever since we got her (3 months). I literally throw up in my mouth a little bit every time I see her do this. I try to catch her pooping and scoop it into a plastic bag right away, but now she's onto me and waits till she's in the yard by herself (my husband always lets her out.) I tried the pills, pineapple, switched food...ugh!!! I'm not ready to resort to a training collar yet, but it's an option I never thought of. Fyi, I'm so over all these contemptuous dog owners that have criticized Roobear. (Just sayin...)

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

I think you need your Vet to help by determining if her blood/urine/stool parameters are all OK. I can offer no other suggestion but to get your husband on-board with the program and pick up after the dog immediately.

Sorry to not be of more help.

• gemmom24
    9 years ago

No problem, I was just venting. :-) Medically, she is fine. My husband grew up in the country and doesn't think it's a big deal. (Eww!) I try to be with her when she poops, but that's not always possible. I have 4 kids and if I'm making dinner or giving someone a bath and the dog is standing at the door, I can't always go out with her. I'm hoping she'll outgrow it. Meanwhile, I've read that fig newtons help and also this supplement by seameal. Will try both.

• SaltiDawg
    9 years ago

Again, you need to get your husband to be supportive on this issue.

• gemmom24
    9 years ago
    Not going to happen. But thanks.
  • John Smith
    8 years ago

Roobear....good for you...they use shock collars for invisible fence so I hate these comments that you aren't doing enough. I too have a poop eater who is just like your dog....as long as I am beside her she is good, but why have a fenced in yard if you have to be outside in inclement weather....if my girl doesn't stop this disgusting behavior I will be getting a training collar too.

• Lily Spider
    8 years ago

One of my dogs eats poop. It's gross. In the winter we call them "poopsicles".

I have tried everything but she keeps eating it. My husband threatened the shock collar (we have used it to train in the past), but we have a huge fenced in yard, and I am not following her around waiting for her to eat poop. It's gross but not harmful to the dog in anyway. My vet told me not to worry about it but if I see her eat poop don't let her lick you on the face/mouth. After having 2 different dogs that ate/eat poop, I have learned to embrace the poop eating.

• mailemoore5017
    7 years ago

Dear Roobear: PLEASE, I am desperate, I got a dog that is doing the same thing, and I've tried pills, etc,. whatever, the thought of killing her myself have crossed my mind for her own good. Yes, she got sick and vomitted everywhere. Please, can you reply to my comment? I've got a shock collar and I am going to use it. Please tell me until when your dog STOP eating poop? I mean how many time did you have to shock her until she stopped? Thank you so much!

• mailemoore5017
    7 years ago

At roobear: Sorry, this is my EMAIL address: mailemoore5017@yahoo.com, PLEASE be so kind and reply, I do appreciate so very much!!!

• gemmom24
    7 years ago

Hey Mailemoore, I tried everything, too. I have a lab who is a year and a half old. I just read that switching to a cheaper dog food can do it. Apparently, the "gourmet" brands have a lot more vitamins and minerals and, like humans, the extra stuff winds up in their stool. This makes a fecal meal more appealing. (I'm about to throw up as I write this! lol!) Stella, i.e. Stoola, doesn't eat her poop as much anymore so she seems to have grown out of it a bit, too.

• mailemoore5017
    7 years ago

Hi gemmom24, I understand what you are saying but she is on a grain free diet, (Taste of the Wild) regardless, I am tired of being optimistic. I suppose I can try harder to overlook her problem but the real trouble is: Her body just does not tolerate it at all, she would vomit everywhere, its smell really gross, I had to take a giant dish towel tie it around my head to block my nose so that I would not throw up while cleaning it up. One day, I went all day without eating because I am feeling so gross out and sick and no appetite because of it. Then after eating the poo, she would get UTI urinary tract infections and leak everywhere for days (then antibiotic and when she is heal) the next episode starts. I am basically exhausted and at my wit end so I must do this or . . . put her down. I sure do not want to do this because she is an perfect angel and got a heart that is BIGGER than her. She is a pure bred pitt bull and is the nicest of all my dogs and I have 4. Her, and 3 little ones!

• trancegemini_wa
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

mailemoore, hopefully roobear sees the email notification and comes back to answer you. Living with a poo eater is so hard! it's even worse if it makes them sick like your dog gets. I was warned by the breeder when I bought my pup about the poo eating, she thinks it's a genetic thing, and at least one of my dog's siblings turned out to be a poo eater too so she may be onto something.

• mailemoore5017
    7 years ago

@trancegemini_wa, Thanks for your comment, I am the last person to use shock collar on my pups, but, something gotta give. I will see how this will play out. It is so hard and I think if we have the technology to train then it would be a shame not to try. I believe, to ignore their disgusting problem instead of trying to fix it is abusive, so I am going to do it. It is so exhausting with worrying and sleeping with one eye opened all the time.

I walked her first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Even when I got the flu and in so much body aches I took some drug and take her out anyway, but in the long run, she must learn to STOP. She doesn't do it all the time (just sometimes) but still, I can not stand it anymore.

• trancegemini_wa
    7 years ago

I feel your pain, even if it didn't make her sick, it is a really hard (disgusting) thing to live with! I'm surprised roobear hasn't come back to answer but hopefully she will chime in.

• roobear
    7 years ago

Sorry guys don't check into the pet forum often. It took about 2 shocks on two separate occasions in the beginning at very low voltage (I tested the voltage on myself first, so I would know what it would feel like). We only gave the shocks after giving the warning beep first. Since then, as long as we put the collar on her before she goes outside, she usually won't try to eat poop. On the rare occasion she does try with the collar on, just giving the warning beep with the remote stops her, no need for the shock. I only use the collar when I'm not going to go outside with her and or haven't had a chance to pick up poop. We have since switched her diet to raw, so that helps some with the amount of poop we have to pick up and poop that doesn't get picked up disintegrates faster. I did not take the decision to use a shock collar lightly, it is very important that if you are going to use one, you do it correctly. I would never recommend using a shock collar that was not highly adjustable in shock strength, did not have a remote, and did not offer a warning beep that can be given separate from the shock. I also would never use a shock collar without trying it one myself first, so that I understand what it's going to feel like. The one we have feels more like a buzzing vibration sensation to me, not really like an electrical shock.

• mailemoore5017
    7 years ago

@roobear, Thank you so much, can you please tell me which shock collar did you purchase? Of course, I would take very good care as to how before I will try! My dog is as good as the day is long and got a heart that BIGGER than her (she is a pitt bull), I need to do this because she just constantly gets so sick with UTI urinary tract infections because of this gross habit. Furthermore, picking up her vomits is horrifying when she throws up. Depending on the amount of P she ate, she can vomit at least 8 different piles 5 large ones and 3 small and sometimes even more and I believe it is abusive if I don't at least try this.

FYI: For those who attempts to judge about this may be cruel. Yes, I walked her twice a day, first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Even when I am with the and feel like am about to die, I still do it and my yard is sparkling clean with no poop because I made sure it is picked up. I've got 3 other small dogs and by doing this perhaps it will prevent the other 3 from copying this one.

When I am not able to be with her, I hired others to do it.

Something gotta give. This is harder on me but it is "tough love' for her own good.

• roobear
    7 years ago

It looks like ours was a PetSafe Deluxe remote static dog trainer. We've had it a few years, only have needed to replace the batteries on it. Ours has ten different levels of correction, but it looks like the newer model offers 16 levels, and they have other models that can offer other types of correction beyond static, some offer sound, spray, and vibration etc. I think we paid close to $100.00 when we purchased ours.

A side suggestion ignore if it's not for you, with the reoccurring UTI's, you might want to look into feeding a balanced raw diet, it's a type of diet that produces a lower PH (acidifies) and adds moisture, both of which can help prevent UTI's.

• mailemoore5017
    7 years ago

Thank you so much roobear. Here I goes, yeah, you have no idea how HAPPY I am to have find your post. Of course, on HOUZZ is so unexpected because this site is mostly designers' idea, etc. and not dogs' stuff:)

Again, thanks a million and I will keep you posted on her progress. My dog name is Lua,

• Cat Chandler
    7 years ago

For the people saying this is cruel, train your dog better, etc - you have NO idea what it's like to live with a dog like this, how exhausting it is to have to tail them every single second when they're out playing in the backyard with other dogs (are you going to sit on the steps with a scoop for hours on end, day in and day out? Because I have), to worry about them when they're being boarded or at daycare, to have them sneakily eat something despite your vigilance, then vomit all over a room. It's unsanitary and it MAKES THEM SICK. It's not due to deficiencies in most cases, and training "leave it" doesn't work. No treat is a good enough deterrent, loud noises or leash pops don't make a difference. So what else is left? Rehoming? Euthanasia, as someone else suggested? An e-collar seems a little more tame now, huh?

• SaltiDawg
    7 years ago

Really felt dusting off this thread in an aggressive manner would help anyone?

Some of us never leave our dog alone in the yard due to matters of safety. That does not require you " to sit on the steps with a scoop for hours on end, day in and day out."

• mustangtali
    7 years ago

Depends on the dog. Mine will hold poop for hours and go in the crate or the house just so she can eat it. No methods work because she counters with another work around to eat her poop. You really can't sit and watch a dog for 24 hours a day. Picking up the poop doesn't help if the dog learns it can't eat it because you won't let it, nor did walking solely on leash. In the end, I have muzzled the dog and placed duct tape over the wire holes on the end because she will mash poop through and eat it, also they don't make a stool guard in her size (small dog short muzzled) for when I can't watch her, and am using an e-collar. I love e-collars and am training my other dog with it as well. It shouldn't be a last ditch effort to use one, which is part of the reason so many people view them as bad. Also, to put perspective on it in a less aggressive way, a little buzz that startles your dog(which is uncomfortable, think how you feel when startled)and possible death from something(running into the road, approaching a snake, etc)or sickness (eating non-food items, poop, etc). Personally, I would rather have my dog believe they are in control of their corrections by the behavior they exhibit(i.e. don't try to eat poop, come immediately when called, avoid snakes, etc. =no correction)The dog will not be traumatized if they know they are in control. Actually, its really humane, because my dogs can now have off leash freedom and I trust them to ALWAYS come back when called with no hesitation, no fence, no leash. Compare that to a dog that's always handcuffed on leash because they don't listen all the time, or fenced for the same reason. I always go out with my dogs, but I want them to get the maximum out of life, because their good behavior earns it.

• lucillle
    7 years ago

I guess I am not really understanding the issue. If you are already there, see the poop, instead of waiting for your dog to eat it and then shock them, why don't you just pick it up and dispose of it?

I can go back to picking up poop outside every couple of days

I would never disrespect my neighbors, or myself (I have a small but pretty back yard with flowers and a veggie garden) by leaving poop lying outside not picked up for days.

• kfitty
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

For people who don't understand why people might use an e-collar when they can just scoop the poop at home, or walk them on leash and pick it up as soon as they go, think about this; some dogs go to daycare during the day, or to a dog park with a dog walker while their owners are at work. I have one of these dogs.

My dog is a lab/golden mix who recently picked this habit up over the last few months. At first, we ruled out a medical or nutritional problem - swapped proteins a few times and added enzymes to his diet. He is currently on Orijen dog food, which is an extremely high protein/good quality food - as far as kibbles go.

He is already a well trained dog, with no other behavioural issues and has a really good "leave it!" (he's a lab who would eat just about anything after all!). However, when we first started noticing this behaviour, he started getting really sneaky, and would gobble it up as fast as he could when he was off leash at the park. He would then recall perfectly like nothing was wrong.

We worked diligently with him everyday plus made dietary adjustments for him. Nevertheless, he started making himself sick during the day, because our dog walkers couldn't stop him 100% of the time. (It is difficult when you have 4 or 5 other dogs to look after at a dog park.)

Anyways, we did not take the decision to purchase a remote shock collar lightly. I have worked with animals for a long time, and did my research. I also talked to lots of people who work with dogs regularly. We have been using it for about a week now and have noticed an improvement. If you are going to use one of these collars, you must do what has been stated above - research, test it out on yourself, get a proper one that has a remote and lots of different levels. The one we have has a tone as well as vibration mode which is often enough to snap my dog out of the behaviour so he can recall over and get a treat. (You CAN add positive reinforcement to this training method as well. In fact, it helps!) It does not hurt him, and merely snaps him out of his relentless poop euphoric hunt. I have personally never had to use the higher levels, but did test them on myself. It certainly does not feel like sticking my finger in a toaster by any means!

Of course every dog is different, and not every dog would benefit from the use of a collar. I also do not think you should use the collar for a multitude of different behaviours. That is not what they are for!

I chose an e-collar because my dog goes out every single day to off leash areas where other dogs frequent. Oftentimes without me where I cannot control his every move. Other than poop eating, he is fabulous off leash, and absolutely LOVES his daily park visits. I was not going to sacrifice his mental stimulation and daily exercise while i'm at work because of a behaviour that can be fixed.

• arkansas girl
    6 years ago

kfitty, sounds like we own the same dog! HAHA! We go to the dog park and even though it's "required" that you pick up after your dog, people DO NOT! I have to go around the park and pick up poop daily and I will often find over 20 piles of it, I'm sure I've missed many because our park is about an acre. Let me tell you, she is FAST! Way faster than these old legs can move! HAHA!

• Mary Jo Palmer Finke
    6 years ago

I'm at my wits end. Our 9 month old female boxer is eating her poop and my 8 year boxer's also. I've tried everything. Picking it up as soon as they go works, but there are times, in the middle of the night, in the freezing cold, that I don't go out. Roo, is it still working. I'm really thinking of trying a shock collar.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    6 years ago

What about putting a muzzle on the dog whenever he goes out? Would that stop it?

• anele_gw
    6 years ago

Just curious... has anyone seen a vet behaviorist about this? Wondering if there would be some medication for this OCD behavior.

• SaltiDawg
    6 years ago

Some dog owners NEVER allow unsupervised access to the back yard. NEVER!

There is a very common posting here by people that provide continued access to the back yard and then bemoan the fact that they can't be expected to clean up immediately after the dog poos. Yes you can, do not allow the dog unsupervised access to the back yard.

I'm in MD. some of the risks found in my backyard include (poisonous) snakes, other wildlife, thieves entering the yard, morons throwing food into the yard to harm the dog, deer poop (big time), etc, etc.

Those who would allow a dog to remain outside without supervision would never get a pup from me - or any responsible breeder.

If my dog needs to go out to the yard, I take her out into the yard under my supervision. I clean up after her or bring her in if no poop. It is part of the responsibility of dog ownership that we sign up for. (In over fifty years of dog ownership I can honestly say that I never, not once, let one of dogs outside without being continuously under my supervision.

Not intending to direct this post at or even toward anyone specifically. It's just that it is hard to "misbehave" if you are being both surveiled and supervised - whether one is a dog or a person/child.

• anele_gw
    6 years ago

SaltiDawg, you are suggesting that an owner has his or her eyes on the dog or dogs every single second while outside? The owner isn’t allowed to read a book or garden or do anything except watch their dog(s)? With multiple dogs, one should be watching them simultaneously, even if they go in opposite directions? What about people who hunt with their dogs? How would they possibly manage?

And my dogs don’t have this OCD behavior but I do know that dogs can be very, very quick... even with supervision.

• mailemoore5017
    6 years ago

SaltiDawg, All of my dogs are rescued and therefore, I/we don't always know what those poor dogs have been through. The pit I have that ate poops were in horrible shape when we got her at 9 months. She was scared and afraid of EVERYTHING. We were having a very hard time putting up with that behavior but we are working it through by being very proactive about cleaning up and thanks God we are self employed so that we can most of the time have her with us, but I can understand those of us who are not self employed would have a very hard time supervise their dogs with this problem full time.

However, there are time we/I must be away from our pit, but I economize and have a budget to hire extra help to help us out watching her when we could not.

But anyone who could not, it is really OK. The dog will be fine. Just the fact that you give it a good home and do your best to walk them, and leave the rest up to God. Hey, just make sure you get them proper shots and deworming medication and they are resilient. Don't mind my saying, but just do your very best.

We do walk our Pit twice a day, rain or shine regardless. Even when I got the flu, I would take some Advil and then do it. After about 6 or 7 months of constant love and praise, our Pit is the best dog and got a heart that is bigger than her or this universe! I got 4 dogs, 3 little ones and the Pit is the nicest/best behave than the other three.

Good luck to everyone and hang in there:) and don't give up on your dogs! Their life depend on you 100% and they are more than worth it:)

• mailemoore5017
    6 years ago

I am sorry I forgot to mention that, if we are not able to be with our Pit most of the time then I would not hesitate to use the shock collar. I bought it but have not use it.

• SaltiDawg
    6 years ago

"SaltiDawg, you are suggesting that an owner has his or her eyes on the dog or dogs every single second while outside"

When outside, pretty much. Kind of like a toddler, don't you think? I may look at my phone for an instant - or add feed to the bird feeder - multitask, if you will, but if any dog of mine is outside my wife or I are outside with them... rain or shine, warm or cold. Who else is going to be responsible?

What do you think responsible breeders do with a litter of pups? We sleep and eat with them 24/7. When they are old enough to go out side we watch them like a hawk - just as I would a toddler.

Lot of denial here about owner responsibility toward critters that are not able to behave on their own.

So you ask what do I do about the dogs when we go on vacation? The last time my wife and I went on a vacation was when she was carrying our first child - in 1969. I have stayed home with the dogs if she needed a trip since.

PS My current dog is a rescue. I see no connection.

• Brigitte Elaine
    5 years ago

Do you mind sharing what shock collar your used? Thank you in advance!

• Catherine Knapp
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I just pulled out the e-collar (Dogtra) that my older dog (miniature schnauzer) used when training for off-leash work. This new puppy (miniature schnauzer) has been eating her poop since she was about 6 months old. I, too, tried everything. Pumkin, vitamin supplements. We have a fenced in yard and we live in Upstate NY so we have snowy cold winters. We scoop poop daily during the warmer weather and every other day or so during the winter. She is now 1 year old and she will eat my older dogs' poop and now my daughter's 2 aussies poop. I am at my wits end! Trying going outside on a zero degree day at 6AM in the dark trying to grab a poop before your dog. I keep my house clean and yard clean. I will try the e-collar and hope for the best. I can't believe she isn't getting sick from all the poop she eats. I only feed her raw food - at this point I am going to switch her to Alpo for crying out loud. Why should I spend all that money on raw food when she eats poop? Any ideas would be welcomed.

• socks
    2 years ago

We don't have your problem, but switching the food can't hurt. I can understand your frustration. Not sure if you were joking about Alpo (maybe something higher quality?). Good luck.

• Catherine Knapp
    2 years ago

I was joking - I‘ve been feeding her a raw diet which is very expensive, hence my crack at Alpo, meaning since her palate isn’t very discriminating… bad joke I guess, but her poop eating is not a joke.

• socks
    2 years ago

I figured it was a joke! If she doesn’t like Alpo, you could try Ol’ Roy. (joke) Seriously, I think it would be worth switching or at least combining a quality food with her regular. You don’t have much to lose.

• Ninapearl
    2 years ago

have you tried adding some pineapple to her food? that's usually the recommendation i see most often.