Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Promeris--how long does it stink?

Posted by fori (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 8, 11 at 15:52

My mangy pup is wearing his first treatment of Promeris and it smells quite a bit (the whole house smells). It's been three hours. I'm sure it's worse for the poor little doggy, but the humans are suffering. How long does this stuff smell?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Promeris--how long does it stink?

Several days. BTW, according to most of my clients, it works great the first month, not so great the second month, and not such much at all after that.

o

Thanks. Pee yew!

Do your clients find it stops working for the Demodex or all the critters on the label? All we need is fleas, mange, AND a smelly dog!

o

I haven't had success in using promeris as the sole medication for demodex- I use ivermectin too. It stops working for fleas is my clients' complaint.

That smell is really bad. We got a free sample for all our pets last year and thankfully I didn't use it on my own dogs. YUCK! Like used motor oil.

o

Thanks for the info!

Ug. They must have reformulated it. Used motor oil smell would be a blessing. Luckily after the first day the smell was mostly confined to the dog instead of permeating the whole house. The puppy is popular again! :)

o

I have had similar experiences with Promeris, at least as a drug for Demodex. Worked rescue for 6 years and been very disappointed how well it has worked for this mite, though I haven't noticed a problem with its activity against fleas... I too have had to go back to ivermectin. We see SO many Chihuahuas with Demodex... incredible numbers. Not sure why these dogs are so prone, but perhaps has something to do with crappy diets (and poor breeding). Now the number one resuce breed in So Cal (just edging out pit bulls).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here