Return to the Pets Forum

o
Bad news, my kitten has FIP

Posted by sue36 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 16, 06 at 15:00

I posted over the weekend about my 6 month old Ragdoll having uveitis. She went to an opthamologist on Tuesday and he confirmed the uveitis and recommended a battery of tests. Today it came back with slightly elevated globulins and positive for FIP.

I am totally heartbroken over this. She has to go back to the opthamologist in 2 weeks to have the eye looked at again. I also have to decide what I am going to do regarding her regular vet. My belief is that is where she was exposed to it, so I am not really comfortable going back there. Since there is nothing that conventional medicine can do for FIP, I called a certified homeopathic vet. The opthamologist says it can't hurt.

Does anyone have any experience with FIP? Any advice would be helpful. She currently has no symptoms (the eye seems healed). The opthamologist said I should just try to enjoy her while I have her. Sigh. She already knows something is up because we are letting her sleep on the bed and are giving her as much food as she wants.

Here are a few pictures of her. She is a total love.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bad news, my kitten has FIP

I'm very sorry to hear that your kitten is having such difficulties. I hope the opthamologist explained to you that a definitive FIP diagnosis can ONLY be made post-mortem and that the current diagnosis of your kitten as FIP-positive is a "maybe". The article linked below explains a great deal about FIP. I recommend you read it.

If there is more current FIP information available, I'm sure Meg will provide it when she reads this thread.

I wish you and your little girl all the best,

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: FIP

o

I tried to see the pictures but it does not work for me. Comes up as a picture website but don't know how to look for your kitties pictures.

Sorry about your girl - let us know what the homeopath does - I like the alternative medicines - though I've never tried them.

I like the marvistavet website - it's explained so clearly.

Here is a link that might be useful: just another info source

o

She may possibly live for years before she becomes symptomatic. You just won't be able to have any other cats around her. I would suspect more that she was exposed at the breeders house than at the vets unless the vet is mighty careless. They are normally very careful to allow no direct contact between cats as this is how so many feline dieases are spread. The vets where I work do a lot of homeopathic treatments. Some animals respond amazingly well, hope your kitty does also.

Lisa

o

Sue, I'm really sorry about the diagnosis, but I have to admit being a little skeptical of "diagnosing" FIP. Cab you find out exactly what test was run? Just curious.

I've read that the most common cause of uveitis in a young cat is idiopathic- in other words, we don't know. OTOH, I've also read that cats with FIP-induced uveitis will be OK for up to 6-12 months before developing other clinical signs, at which point the kitties always die :( I hate FIP.

Anyway, here's an article from Veterinary Information Network on testing and treating FIP. Sorry I couldn't link it as this section of the site is password protected for vets and students only.

"Diagnosis and Treatment of FIP in the Real World (S7D)
Western Veterinary Conference 2005
Susan Little, DVM, DABVP (Feline)
Winn Feline Foundation
Ottawa, ON, Canada

Objectives of the Presentation

Learn how to avoid potential pitfalls in the diagnosis of feline infectious peritonitis (FIP).

Learn about treatment options for palliative care of cats with FIP.

Key Points

No single laboratory test, including coronavirus serology or PCR, is reliable for the diagnosis of FIP. Diagnosis must be made by a preponderance of evidence from signalment, history, physical examination and laboratory findings.

Laboratory claims for FIP-specific tests should be evaluated closely and should be verified by independent peer-review before clinicians rely upon them.

No effective treatment has been identified for FIP, although selected patients may have good quality of life for a period of time with palliative care.

Overview of the Issue

Introduction

Feline infectious peritonitis (FIP) is a baffling and clinical important disease of cats caused by infection with a virulent biotype of feline coronavirus. Approximately 1 out of every 200 new feline cases seen at veterinary medical teaching hospitals are cats diagnosed with FIP. Despite the fact that the disease is common, veterinarians are often faced with a diagnostic dilemma because there are no individual tests that are reliable for the diagnosis of FIP.

Patient Signalment and Risk Factors

Most cats affected with FIP are young, particularly between 3 months and 2 years of age. Other risk factors include:

Source: multi-cat home, shelter, cattery

Pedigreed breeds

Genetic susceptibility: heritability is estimated to be approximately 50%

Concurrent diseases, especially feline leukemia virus (FeLV) infection

Stressors: re-homing, recent elective surgery, inter-cat conflicts, etc.

Clinical Signs

FIP presents in two forms: effusive and non-effusive. However, the two forms are not mutually exclusive and may occur in the same patient. Clinical signs depend on the predominant form of the disease and the organ systems affected. Some clinical signs are common to both forms:

Lethargy

Anorexia (partial or total)

Weight loss (often out of proportion to the decrease in appetite)

Chronic fluctuating fever non-responsive to antibiotics

Poor growth rate in kittens

Clinical signs may be apparent for a few days to a few months. Generally the effusive form progresses more rapidly than the non-effusive form.

Clinical signs associated with the effusive form are due to immune complex damage of small blood vessels (vasculitis) with the resulting leakage of serum protein and fluid into body cavities, and may include:

Abdominal distension due to ascites

Dyspnea due to pleural effusion

Scrotal enlargement in intact males (the scrotum is an extension of the peritoneal cavity)

Pericardial effusion

Clinical signs associated with the non-effusive form depend on the body system affected and are due to localized perivascular infiltrates of inflammatory cells (pyogranulomas) in the parenchyma of organs:

Abdomen: granulomas in mesenteric lymph nodes, kidneys, liver, adhesions throughout omentum and mesentery that may be palpable as masses and visible with ultrasound

Ocular: anterior uveitis with hyphema, hypopyon, aqueous flare, miosis, keratic precipitates, irregularly shaped pupil, change in iris color, chorioretinitis, retinal hemorrhage, retinal detachment

CNS: seizures, ataxia, nystagmus, tremors, depression, behavior changes, paralysis/paresis, circling, head tilt, peripheral neuropathies, hyperesthesia, urinary incontinence

GI tract: diarrhea, focal granulomas in ileum, ileocecocolic junction, colon

Reproductive: orchitis with bilateral scrotal enlargement

Diagnosis

No single test or indicator is reliable for the diagnosis of FIP. The diagnosis must be based on a preponderance of evidence gathered from patient signalment, medical history, physical examination and laboratory findings. Tests on effusions have greater diagnostic reliability than tests on blood or serum. Therefore, the first step should be to evaluate the patient for evidence of effusion using radiographs and/or ultrasound if necessary. Several algorithms and test combinations for the diagnosis of FIP have been published, but care must be used when applying them as they may exclude some patients with FIP, and wrongly include others that do not have FIP.

The effusive form of FIP is the easiest to diagnose, but only about 50% of cats that present with effusions will have FIP. The most common diseases that produce effusions similar to FIP include lymphocytic cholangitis and malignancies. Therefore, it is important to confirm the diagnosis by examination of the effusion. The effusion found in FIP is a non-septic exudate with the following characteristics:

Straw to golden yellow color, viscous, clear to slightly cloudy, frothy when shaken

High specific gravity (1.017-1.047)

High protein (typically >3.5 g/dl, often 5-12 g/dl)

Albumin:globulin ratio <0.45

Low to moderate cellularity (<5000 cells/μl)

Three valuable tests on effusions that can be used to confirm the diagnosis of FIP are: positive immunofluorescent staining for coronavirus antigen within macrophages, positive Rivalta's test, and a detectable coronavirus antibody titer.

Other laboratory tests that may be used in the diagnosis of FIP include serum chemistries and complete blood cell counts (CBC). CBC results are variable and non-specific but may include neutrophilia with a mild left shift, lymphopenia (<1500/μl), and anemia of chronic disease. Serum chemistry changes may include:

Total serum protein >8.0 g/dl

Total serum globulins >5.1 g/dl

Hypoalbuminemia

Elevated liver enzymes, hyperbilirubinemia, hyperbilirubinuria

Azotemia

Results of serum chemistries and CBC may also be normal in cats with FIP.

Changes in acute phase proteins are currently receiving attention as ancillary diagnostic tests for cats with FIP. In particular, alpha 1-acid glycoprotein (AGP) levels >1500 μg/ml and up to 10-fold increases in serum amyloid A (SAA) levels have been suggested as markers for FIP. However, elevations in acute phase proteins are not pathognomonic for FIP and may be associated with a variety of other diseases. Currently, these tests are not widely available from commercial diagnostic laboratories in North America.

Histopathology on tissues (from percutaneous ultrasound-guided biopsy, laparoscopy or laparotomy) remains the gold standard for diagnosis of FIP and is underutilized by practitioners. A coagulation profile should be performed before biopsy, as some cats will have problems with hemostasis due to DIC. Perivascular pyogranulomatous inflammation is the hallmark of FIP. Immunohistochemistry can be used to confirm the presence of macrophages within pyogranulomas and can be performed on formalin fixed and paraffin embedded tissues.

FIP is one of the most frequent causes of neurological disease in the cat, especially in cases with multifocal clinical signs. Examination of cerebrospinal fluid from cats with neurological FIP reveals a marked pleocytosis (>100 cells/μl) primarily consisting of neutrophils, high protein content (>200 mg/dl), and coronavirus antibody titer >1:25.

All coronavirus antibody titers are non-specific (whether IFA, ELISA or "FIP 7b Specific") and cannot be used alone to diagnose FIP. Serum titers often provide information confusing to the clinician. Cats with FIP tend to have higher titers than cats without FIP, but the overlap is considerable. Cats with FIP may have negative coronavirus antibody titers. A positive coronavirus antibody test does not rule in FIP and a negative coronavirus antibody test does not rule out FIP.

Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) is a sensitive technique for detecting minute amounts of viral RNA in blood and effusions. However, no single unique genetic sequence has been identified as associated with FIP, regardless of the claims of some commercial laboratories. In addition, coronavirus antigen can be found in circulation in chronically infected cats that do not have FIP. Private commercial laboratories performing PCR testing are unregulated, leading to potential concerns about quality control and test validation. PCR tests cannot be used as sole diagnostic criteria for FIP, but may be useful as ancillary tests if performed by a reliable laboratory.

Treatment

No effective treatment for FIP has been identified to date, although several have been proposed and discarded as ineffective (Propionibacterium acnes, cyclosporine, levamisole, zidovudine/AZT, acyclovir). Some antivirals have shown promise in vitro but are limited in usefulness due to known toxicity in the cat (amphotericin B, ribavirin). Oral low dose recombinant human interferon alpha (Roferon-A, Roche Pharmaceuticals; 30 IU/cat daily) is widely used, but anecdotal reports of efficacy are unconfirmed.

Palliative care may be appropriate for some patients, particularly those cats with mild clinical signs, that are not too debilitated and that are still eating. Recombinant feline interferon-omega (Virbagen Omega, Virbac S.A., Carros, France; 1 million U/kg, SQ, EOD until remission, then 1 million U/kg weekly) has shown some initial promise, but is not available in the United States at this time and requires further investigation. Pentoxifylline (Trental, Aventis Pharmaceuticals; 10 mg/kg, PO, BID) is a methylxanthine that has been used anecdotally to combat the vasculitis associated with FIP. No pharmacokinetic data is available for cats nor is the drug licensed for use in this species. Traditional palliative care for cats with FIP includes prednisolone (4 mg/kg, PO) +/- cyclophosphamide or chlorambucil (using various dosing schedules, requires close monitoring of CBC). Antibiotics are not justified unless neutropenia occurs as a result of cytotoxic drug therapy. Good nutritional support and avoidance of stressors are also recommended.

Summary

FIP can present a diagnostic dilemma to the clinician due to the variety of presenting clinical signs and the lack of definitive diagnostic tests. The clinician must exercise considerable diagnostic and physical examination skills in order to reach a diagnosis, especially in cats with noneffusive FIP. The most important step is to identify any effusion that might be present, for diagnostic tests on effusions are more reliable than on blood or serum. Various algorithms are available to aid in diagnosis, but should not be adhered to rigidly since the disease has considerable variation. Histopathological examination, with or without immunohistochemistry, remains the gold standard for diagnosis. No effective treatment is available, and while palliative care only prolongs the inevitable, it may be desired by some cat owners and appropriate for some affected cats."

FIP is a spontaneous mutation of an enteric corona virus that the cat was exposed to at some point. The exposure to the corona virus could have been by fecal-oral, oral-oral, or oral-nasal route (very close contact). Here's the kicker- 80-90% of cats in catteries have corona virus, and ANY of those cats could be the unlucky one to mutate to FIP. My guess is that IF your cat is truly infected with FIP, she got the corona virus while with the breeder and it converted to FIP recently. I'm not saying that she couldn't have gotten coronavirus at the vets, just that's it's unlikely unless the vet has a habit of putting unrelated cats together. She could not have picked up FIP from the vets though because once the virus mutates, it's not transmissible any more.

I'm going to run some searches about supportive/experimental treatment and see if anything's changed in the last couple of years.

o

Thanks for all the information everyone.

Meg,

The vet just faxed me the test results. There are three pages, so I will hit on the things you mentioned above:

She is pedigreed (Ragdoll).
She tested negative for FeLV, FIV and Toxoplasma (IgG and IgM).

The FCV (IFA) test: I read that the 1:400 just means exposure to FCV. I also read that "if the cat was positive at 1:1600 or higher, and it had all the other signs indicative of FIP, then it might indicate the cat has FIP".
1:400 positive
1:1600 positive

She has shown no symptoms other than the uveitis, which started Saturday and now appears to be cleared (the opthamologist said to continue the neo/poly/dex drops). One thing that was odd with that (so we were told) was that it only affected one eye and the pupil was larger than normal rather than smaller than normal. No one has said what that means, they just note it. DH and I are now paranoid and think every time she decides to sit off by herself that something is wrong with her. It seems to me that she is acting normally. She is a chow-hound, but she is not fat. She weighs 5 pounds, 4 ounces. I asked the vet about this awhile back (my departed Persian was no so "into" food) and he said some cats are more "food focused" than others and that it was not something to worry about. One thing that I found odd was that her weight has not changed in a month, but it was taken on different scales so I dont know if that is accurate. Her favorite food is sardines or herring. She will eat pretty much anything, and always wants whatever we are having. We give her Wellness brand wet and dry. She is very social and loves everyone. She sleeps on the bed with us and follows us if we both leave the room. She has been like this since the day we got her.

I dont see anything on the lab work that says "specific gravity". Is it ever called something else?

The total protein was 8.3, which they did not mark as "high".

The albumin:globulin ratio was .5. I understand this to be very bad. Something I read said that an a:g lower than .8 combined with a positive FVC is 92% accurate for a positive FIP diagnosis. The albumin was 2.7 and the globulin was 5.6 (marked "high").

I dont see anything called "cellularity".

Everything else was not labeled as high (or low), except calculated osmolality was 294 (low). What does that mean? The neutrophils was 10721 (high), the bands were 0, the lymphocytes were 3473, the monocytes 604 (high), the eosinophils were 302 and the basophils were 0. So, the neutrophils and monocytes were both high. The high white blood cells means she is fighting virus I believe?

Thanks for the advice.

o

FIP can lay dormant for years in my area vets. don't even suggest putting cats to sleep for this just keep her awaay from other cats and unstressed

o
RE: passing virus

one thing everyone thinks if they keep their dog or cat in they are protected not true the virus can be carried in by people on clothes or shoes vets office too

o

I'm sorry it took so long for me to get back to you.

The cellularity and specific gravity are referring to any fluids in the thoracic or abdominal cavities. If your kitty has FIP, she has the dry form, not the wet form that would produce those fluids. Osmolality is basically a made up calculation relating to things in blood that tend to keep the blood in the vessels like large protiens. Her osmolality is low because of the low albumin. You're right that the CBC changes are due to her fighting infection.

It does sound pretty convincing that she has it. I'm so sorry; it must be so hard for you. Is she still doing OK? Have you started her on any treatments for the FIP yet? I've seen so many people who have been told their cat has FIP, yet the cats are still going strong years later, so it couldn't have been really FIP. It just makes the owners sad to hear that, and then they don't trust the vets anymore.

I couldn't find anything more recent on treatments or palliative care. The vets at school were not aware of any breaking news either.

From what I read, it could be a while before she comes down with really bad symptoms- 6-12 months. That's when things will be tough; many cats don't survive acute crisis with FIP.

Keeping her inside will help because of the reduced stress. It's not true that the FIP form of corona virus can be transmitted by people, shoes, whatever. The corona virus that pretty much all cats have can be transmitted that way, but it mutates in the body of certain cats for unknown reasons to produce FIP. The vet clinic where I work has seen several cats with FIP from a stray colony and no client cats have ever come down with it. Granted, we are pretty darn anal about cleaning, even for a vet office.

I'm so sorry about her diagnosis. I wish it was something else. Please give her a big hug and kiss for me.

Also, I couldn't see the pictures! Is there a way to make the album public? I'd love to see your little doll.

o

Hi Sue
I can only speak from my experience with my own cats. I have seven.

My one little guy I have had for 18 years and he is FIP+. I raised him from a kitten .. he and his 12 siblings were tossed in the trash. Several of his siblings passed from FIP so he has had it since birth. He also suffers from CH. He has been miss diagnosed with kidney failure twice now but he has always tested + for FIP.

My Hymi is also FIP + and she is 15 years old.

All I can say is that even if she tested + it does not mean the end. She may have many many more years of snuggling ahead of her. I would think that she would have gotten FIP from her mother or when in the breeders care. Most kittens with FIP don't make it to the rip old age of 6 mths.

I too have two Ragdolls and I love them to pieces. They are such a wonderful breed of cat. So loving and calm.

Take care
Laura

o

"It's not true that the FIP form of corona virus can be transmitted by people, shoes, whatever. The corona virus that pretty much all cats have can be transmitted that way, but it mutates in the body of certain cats for unknown reasons to produce FIP."

That is the way I understand it. The corona virus "spreads", FIP "develops".

Thanks for the kind words everyone. She went to the opthamologist today and he said her eye is 100% perfect. We are to continue the drops for 1 more week, but only once a day. Her pressure levels were perfect. We could bring her into any vet and they would never know she is sick. We are spoiling the heck out of her. She sleeps on the bed now (not too great for my allergies!) and we feed her sardines in water, human grade salmon, chicken, and scrammbled eggs in addition to Wellness dry food. She gained 1 pound in 2 weeks (she is now 6.3 pounds and will be 7 months old next week). The vet said her weight is fine. Her coat is gorgeous and she is acting very happy. She is quite the circus-kitty and does all her tricks for people when they come over (she climbs ladders, rolls over, plays catch). Every night when I come home from work she flops in front of me and mews for a belly rub.

I will have to use some other service for photos. I will start a new post when I do that.

For the people who have cats with FIP that have survived a long time, do you know what the cats titer level was (1:400 or 1:1600)?

o
RE: Bad news, my kitten has FIP - Update

Hi everyone,

I posted several months ago about my kitten who has FIP. It's been 8 months, and she is now 15 months old and 10 pounds. This past weekend she was breathing fast so we took her to the vet yesterday. A x-ray confirmed she has fluid in her chest. It appears she is now in the "wet" stage of FIP. They drained her chest (1/2 cup) and put her on 2 mg of Prednisone. She has lost about a pound (now 9 pounds) and she isn't drinking very much, but she is eating. Now that the fluid is out of her chest she is playing again and acting as spunky as ever.

Does anyone here have experience with additional treatment? A higher dosage (4 mg maybe) of the Prednisone? An antibiotic to "cover" potential infections from taking the Prednisone? What about sub-q fluids?

I asked the vet how long it would be before her chest filled up again, but he said there was no way of knowing. I don't know if she has days or weeks. I can't believe I am faced with the prospect of putting a 1 year old cat to sleep.

She's been doing so well for so long, I actually let myself hope that she didn't have FIP (even though 2 doctors said she did). I was considering getting her titers re-checked, in fact.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I've attached a recent picture of her.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sniffing the fresh air

o

Can't help on the knowledge end, but she sure is pretty. Sorry things are so bad for you and Chloe. :(

o

I'm so sorry to hear about Chloe. I was just thinking about her recently since we had a discussion of diagnosing FIP at school. I was hoping that she was misdiagnosed too, but now it doesn't seem to be.

I've had experience in a dog with high doses of pred, and will never do that again. It turns out that higher doses (above 2mg/kg) don't work any better, but they cause some horrible side effects. I watched our precious first Rottie Kang literally waste away in front of us while being treated for immune-mediated thrombocytopenia. It was horrible- he got so weak he couldn't stand up without help because of the muscle wasting, his heart took a heavy hit (eventually ended up killing him), he was panting all the time, was constantly drinking and peeing and of course since he couldn't stand up he ended up with urine all over him. It was truly awful. I've since been told by many a respected vet that high doses are unneccessary and dangerous. I will never do that again. It's just not worth it, quality of life-wise.

To be honest, I've never known a cat with wet FIP to live more than a month after diagnosis, despite everything. You can keep her comfortable with repeated chest taps and abdominal taps as needed for a while, but eventually the fluid starts building up faster and faster and she'll spend more and more time at the vet instead of enjoying her remaining time with you.

She really needs to be spoiled stinking rotten for whatever time she has left. I know you are doing this already.

Again I am so sorry that she is sick.

o

Meghane,

Thanks for responding. We've been spoiling her rotten since March. Everyone would tell me I was going to have a "brat cat" on my hands, but I didn't care. This morning DH put down three different flavors of wet food to entice her to eat. Turkey and salmon was the winner. She isn't drinking water, that has me most worried. I emailed the vet about sub-q fluids, but haven't heard back from him.

o

Sue, I have nothing to add in the way of helpful advice. I'm just really sorry you are going through this with Chloe. I think I actually remember you mentioning getting a kitten on the Kitchen forum quite some time ago - - could that be right or am I making it up? In any case, you are obviously doing right by her and she is lucky to have had you as her companion.

o

Paigect,

Yes, I probably mentioned her on the Kitchens forum. Thanks for the kind words.

I received an email from the breeder last night. Cleo was one of three kittens from that litter to get FIP. She believes the mother was the carrier, but the mother didn't get it. She (the mother, not the owner) was recently spayed as a result. The owner is liquidating the cattery. She is selling all the kittens and breeders and will keep just 2 (whichever two are left) as pets for herself. She said she was too devastated by this to continue.

I have been offered a replacement kitten of my choice, and she would hold it until I am ready. However, I don't know if I should do it. Is it worth saving the $600? Since so many cats test positive for FCoV (which is benign), and there is no way of knowing if or when it will turn into FIP (which is deadly) will I always be wondering if the new kitten will get sick?

If anyone else with knowledge of FIP reads this (Meghane included), should I ask that any kitten I buy be FCoV negative? Or is that next to impossible since so many are positive?

She's drinking water now. She jumped up on the sink last night and drank for quite awhile. And she is eating like crazy. I don't know if the chest tap made her feel better, or if it is the Prednisone.

o

Hi Sue, I was wanting to see how Cleo is doing. Hopefully she will have a good quality life, it seems like you are a great mom. I can't imagine going through that, you have my complete sympathy.

As for the kitten, I don't know if I would accept the offer; it seems possible that the new kitty might have the chance of having contracted FIV if other kittens from the breeder contracted it there. I think I would cut my losses and find a different breeder if and when you are ready. I know a wonderful breeder in California if you are interested, it is where I got my youngest Ragdoll and it is the best cattery I have ever seen.

Best of luck to you and Cleo, and give her a belly rub for me.

Michelle

o

Hi Sue,
How are you doing? I'm sorry I didn't see this post until today. How's Cleo?

I've read a bit about the FCoV titer and came to the conculsion that it is worthless in predicting whether or not a particular cat will get FIP. Cats that have been dying of FIP have tested negative, and only 5% of cats with positive FCoV titers ever get FIP. So the predictive value of the test is approximately nil. Unfortunately that doesn't help you decide whether or not to take the breeder's offer of another kitten. I don't even know what I'd do in that situation.

I wish I could help you and Cleo in some way.

Thinking of you and your entire family,
MeghanE and the "kids"

o

I foster cats for a local rescue. Last summer one of the kittens who had just gone home died of FIP. The rest of the litter was fine. The adopter eventually took home a sibling and she is healthy. FIP is totally random. Yes, most cats are exposed to the corona virus, but for 95% of them it remains in their system harmless.

I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet kitten. Once they get into the wet stage, they go downhill fast. You might want to spare yourself and your little kitty some agony and make a peaceful end for her.

Best Wishes.

o

Thanks for the kind words everyone. As I wrote above, the chest fluid was drained 11/27. So far it hasn't returned. The Prednisone must be giving her the hungry horrors because she neve stops eating! We give her unlimited wet food now (before we gave her some wet and unlimited dry). She is also drinking plenty of water. She races around the house just like she always did. We are spoiling her rotten. Most nights she sleeps with us, right in the middle of the bed. Her weight is back up to 10 or so. In some ways it is like a cruel joke, she gets her seemingly good health back but we know it will be stolen from her again.

It is just wait and see. I think I have decided not to take a replacement kitten from the breeder. I feel like I need to start fresh with someone else.

o

I have a similar situation going on with my Ragdoll, who is now a year old and has uveitis off and on. I feel like FIP will develop eventually. What ever happened to your sweet kitty?

o

Sorry I just found your post about losing Cleo. I am so sorry. I am afraid that my Harry is going to follow the same path. I will just have to love him and care for him as long as I can.

Again, I am so sorry.

o

Carol,
Cleo passed away on 10/7. I've attached a link to the post.

I hope your cat's uveitis is not FIP related. Just so you understand, if the cat has uveitis it may be a sign it already has FIP. Non-effusive (dry) FIP often manifests in the eye and then moves to other areas. In Cleo's case it was in the eye for a few months and then there was no evidence of it for almost 8 months, then it went to the lungs. The lungs were drained and she was fine for months (eye and lungs). Then the lung flared again and it was treated with Pred. The the eye flared and it never really fully healed, but she was otherwise fine. In late September she started being difficult about food and then it became evident the FIP was in her spine. She would walk slightly crooked and she had weakness in her right rear leg. She stopped jumping on anything higher than our bed (and she would really concentrate before doing that). After about 2 weeks of spinal involvement she developed seizures during the night Saturday.

Have you had your cat's titer levels checked? FIP can only be definitely diagnosed post-mortem, but if all the signs are there (ruled out other illnesses, evidence of FIP symptoms such as uveitis, certain blood profiles) the vet can get a good idea. You want to rule out everything else - those things might be treatable.

When Cleo first got sick they did all kinds of blood work including testing for the major cat illnesses and the coronavirus titer (the virus that causes FIP). It looked like FIP to them (two different vets). When she didn't get sicker for 8 months (and her eye fully healed), they questioned their diagnosis until the lung issue.

I wish you luck with your kitty.

Atlanta_Carole, Thanks for the kind words. Good luck with Harry. Cleo's life was short, but the time she had she didn't suffer. It was a short but happy life. I hope Harry's time is happy as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cleo is gone

o

I just lost my 22 month old Norwegian Forest Cat to FIP. During her illness I found a couple of great Yahoo Groups that can provide some very cutting edge suggestions for those who are suffering with suspected FIP.

It is a horrible disease - I always worried about it despite reassurances from my Vets because there are no effective vaccines for it FIP. Research continues and some tiny progress has been made with Feline Omega Interferon - much more research has to be done - as there are far more cats and kittens dying from this disease than I know I was led to believe.

o

I have an 8 month old female kitty, her name is also Cloe. On Sunday of this week I noticed that her 3rd eye lid was partially covering her right eye. Her eyes are the most beautiful blue, however the right eye was cloudy and discolored. By Monday morning it looked worse and I don't even think she could see out of it. I took her to the vet right away, expecting to get some eye drops or meds. and be just fine. After the vet looked at her eye he said that he wasn't exactly sure at this point what it was (we know its not FIV or feluk because she's been tested). He said it could be a bacterial infection and then he dropped the bomb and told me it could also be FIP but that the test for that isn't accurate. The look on his face was not a good one and at this point I was panicking. He told me it was always fatal (and the tears started building) and he told me it was extremely contagious (at this point I'm balling, because I have a 4 yr old cat named Phyllis). I gave cloe the antibiotic that the vet gave me, in case it was only a bacterial infection. I cried all day, and then Monday night I noticed her eye already looked better. Today (Tuesday) It looks like its almost back to normal. How long did it take for your Cloe's eye to get better?? Also did it just become cloudy with the 3rd eyelid covering it over night, like my Cloes? My hopes were high until I read this post.

o

amanda2218--we got the same Dx for our kitten Mayu 4 years ago, and our reaction was the same as yours. However, there were a number of symptoms and signs that clearly pointed to FIP (swollen belly, failure to thrive/grow, lethargy, inappetance--not eating, GI episodes, fever.....when we looked up the symtpoms online, she was a textbook case for it).

Is your Chloe exhibiting any or all of the above? If not, it's possible that it's not FIP. Yes, it certainly could be (Mayu also had some conjuctivitis), but it could also be a garden variety eye infection of which there can be a number of causes (in addition to bacterial infections, cats can get a herpes virus in the eyes for example). I volunteer at an animal shelter, and there is always some cat or kitten with an eye infection requiring an antibiotic ointment (e.g. terramycin--sp?) as a course of treatment.

Also, my cat Misha (who passed away 4 years ago at the age of 16) had had a weird eye thing when she was a kitten. If I'm remembering correctly, it presented itself as a dark patch with clouding of the eye, that passed from one eye to the other (clearing up in the first eye as it did so). Our vet at the time took some blood, and said she had the dry form of FIP. Since she got over that eye episode, and lived to be 16, our current vet disputes the Dx. It IS possible, that she had been exposed to and/or contracted a coronavirus, which can mutate into FIP in certain cats (as it did in our Mayu), and that she had tested positive for exposure to coronavirus (antibodies present in her blood?). In any case, she did live a long and healthy life.

Just keep an eye on your Chloe, and follow up with your vet. I will keep my fingers crossed that it is nothing more than a "pesky" eye infection, and nothing more.

o
my kitten has uveitis-maybe FIP

I just got my persian kitty named Capote from a breeder (he's 6 months old). The second day I got him home I noticed he was having trouble opening his right eye. At first they thought he had herpes, but now they've discovered 2 vets and a specialist later that he has Uveitis.

It's been 10 days since he's been on the Uveitis medication and he hasn't gotten better. His right eye is still cloudy and the pupil won't dilate. His eyes are wide open, and not blinking a lot but he's moodier and seems depressed. I've contacted the breeder because I feel she sold me a very sick cat. She won't answer my calls.

Is there anything you recommend doing when it comes to breeders who won't respond? A sort of Better Business Bureau for catteries?

I love this cat, but I'm giving him medicine 3 times a day, 2 oral, 2 eye drops. It's awful, and he's barely getting better. Please help! Any advice will be apprecaited.

o

I need some advice and information. I have two 15 year old cats that have been pretty healthy. A couple of weeks ago I adopted two feral kittens - about five months old -from a local rescue group. They are litter mates and lived together in the same crate at their foster mother's house for a couple months. After about ten days with me, including several days during which they interacted with my older cats, one kitten became lethargic, anorexic, and began running a fever. The fever did not respond to antibiotics, and then they discovered fluid in her abdomen. It appears she may have FIP.

She is home with me now and on prednisone, and seems to be perking up some. The vet said the other cats have already been exposed to the virus, but she also said to keep the kitten separate. I do not really have the ability to do this well because I have an open floor plan - no doors on most rooms. The kitten is now confined to a small bathroom. I think being confined there is making her more depressed and it certainly is not good quality of life for her. How much more risk do I run allowing her to interact with the cats that she has already been in close contact with? Do I really need to keep her separated? I haven't had her long but I love her already and want her to have a good life, even if it is a short one.

o

This is a sad thread.

I'd keep her off dry, because dry in gen isn't good for cats, cat are actually built to take all the moisture from their prey not from drinking water, I mean they can but its not their nature. Normally I'd subjest feeding her a raw diet of either small whole dead prey or peaces of bone-in- chicken and organs, supplemented with live or dead bugs, grasshoppers,crickets that have been caught from chemical free areas, but sense the cats/kittens in question have FIP or other issues I say go for Innova EVO or Ziwi peak. PS fish isn't good for cats esspeically tuna, I'd wean her off that, they like the taste of fish, hense the fact a lot of pet food puts it into their products but it isn't good for them. My wild- cat- type "diet" may seem strange or even distirbing ( but it has been carefully researched and I've sen the results from feeding it myself)

o

I too have a kitten that has just tested positive for coronavirus. The info you all have provided is very helpful, however I am getting conflicting opinions on diet. Is there any benefit in a raw vs canned food, with this particular potential for FIP? Two of the three Vets I have seen during this ordeal are against raw food. They could not offer any reason other than it is risky. I am feeding ground turkey from our local farmer's market , which I mix with Instincts powder and than freeze. If anyone has other suggestions that would build my kitten's immune system and give him a fighting chance, please respond. Also, I put a deposit on a kitten from another breeder a month before these test results. What are the possibilities of infecting this new kitten? What precautions can I take, if any, are feasible? My heart felt sympathy goes out to everyone who has gone through or is going through this experience. For the record, I have not heard from my breeder yet.

o

Major,
I am not an expert on cat diets, so I am just speaking from my own experience. My cat was on Wellness wet and dry. I honestly believe it made a big difference. She lived much longer than most cats with FIP live. And she was the longest lived case of FIP any of her vets ever saw. I tried feeding Cleo chicken and she became picky. With the Wellness she ate well until the end when she was very sick. She ate more dry food than wet, but that was her choice. She was always a good water drinker, always drank from the sink.

Also, be aware that a positive test for the coronavirus is not the same as having FIP. Many cats are exposed to to the virus and consequently show it in their system. But this does not mean they have or will ever get FIP. Other than autopsy, I believe FIP is only diagnosed based on symptoms and ruling out other diseases. My kitten had uveitis and a high virus titer. Even with that evidence they still did a lot of testing to rule out other diseases. After that they concluded she had FIP. But after the uveitis resolved she was symptom free for so long they began to question whether she really had FIP. But then other symptoms did eventually appear.

Regarding another kitten, I wouldn't do it. The only precaution you can take is to keep then 100% separated. If your cat has FIP it is shedding the virus and another cat in the house will likely get the virus. But again, that doesn't mean it will get the disease (as I wrote above, not all who get the virus actually get FIP). But do you want to risk it? They generally say the house needs to be FIP free for 12 weeks before a new cat can safely be brought in. That is what we did after Cleo died. We got Max in December. And I am still a nervous wreck that some little bit of the virus survived. So far he is 100% healthy (10.5 pounds, 6 months old). Having lost one kitty I really can't imagine going through it again. Her illness took over our lives for the 18 months she was sick. We never traveled because we couldn't board her and couldn't distress her. The costs were high. It was emotionally draining, always looking for a sign of illness.

Another thing to consider is cost. Keeping Cleo relatively healthy was very expensive. I guesstimate $4k over 18 months. Regular vet and specialists. And she was healthy for long stretches, it could have easily been more than that.

I doubt a reputable breeder will allow you to buy a kitten if you have a cat with FIP in your home. If they let you I would question whether they care about their kittens or just want to get them sold.

Good luck.

o

Sue36, I know this topic is old.
I read the topic and I cried. I cried more when I've seen the picture.
I cannot believe the similarities. I, too, have a ragdoll, she's my dearest. She's 9 months old. Two months ago she had a cloudy right eye, it was treated with a prednisone solution. It cleared up well. About two weeks ago, she developed again a cloudy eye, right now, the left eye was affected.
The vet said she did all tests possible, all of them came back negative, except for the dreading coronavirus test. Unfortunately, she is positive. I am heartbroken. I know it's not a definite diagnostic, the vet did not say anything, just that she has to run some other tests.
I read the outcome for Cloe and I could not stop crying. I am so nervous about the next tests.
I am so sorry to bring this up again. Did Cloe had any other symptoms when she was first diagnosed with uveitis?
I am so afraid of losing her.
I just hope my kitten story would not be the same. Funny thing, my kitten loves Wellness food. I've been given her Wellness, dry and wet, since the day we got her from the breeder.

Here is a link that might be useful: My kitty

o

I am so confused. I have a 7 month old kitten. I got her from a shelter when she was 8 weeks, she was only in the shelter 6 days.

She has a fever of 103. Eating fine, bathroom fine, plays. Only "clinical" sign is a fever.

She was positive on 3 test, 1:400 1:1600 ( no clue what test or what they mean) and the Elisa test I think 1:140 but that number I am not 100% on.

There are site that say she is positive for FIP, sites that say she is only positive for a corovirus, but not FIP. I am going crazy trying to find some kind of answer either way.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Keith

o
RE: Bad news, my kitten has FIP--Keith

Keith, first let me tell you that I'm very sorry about your kitten.

Second, ALWAYS ask for a copy of the tests, so that you can understand them better at home--a vet goes through the results so fast (when your mind is not always quite receptive because of worries) that you can't remember everything.

Third, there is no test for FIP. The Elisa test said your cat was exposed to the coronavirus, but unless the virus mutates to the actual FIP, your cat may be fine for many years.

If you bear to read through the answers Sue got (the whole thread is extremely informative), you'll learn a lot about FIP, especially from Meghane's post dated March 16, 06 . It is too long to paste.
Best of luck,
Anne-Marie

o

Keith, there are legions of cats who have been exposed to corona virus, and the majority of them never get FIP. If you have questions about whether your cat actually has FIP, pick up the phone and talk to your vet his/her opinion.

o

I once grilled my vet.
had to pin her down & keep asking questions over & over.

Finally, I asked her, if every cat in our city or county were tested, what percentage would test positive.

She admitted that probably 50% of them would (it's a rural-ish area).

I'd sure call that vet back & say, "Make me understand."

I wish you the best.

o

We've had a heat wave in NYC for the past few days. Freddy, one of our two ocicats (8mo old) was breathing the slightest bit heavy but we didn't think much of it. He is the type of cat that rolls around in front of you hoping for belly scratch, then starts playfully meowing convinced that we understand him. When he started acting less playful and breathing wheezy, we brought him to the vet.

That day little Freddy had x-rays, blood test, urine analysis and eventually 200cc of fluid removed from his chest and abdomen. The vet provided us with antibiotics and told us that he will be running tests to determine if FIP is likely. He warned us that there was a very good chance based on Freddy's symptoms and fluid color. He also mentioned that Freddy may be acting much better and seem completely healthy by the time he got home (due to fluid removal). Sure enough, he was running around, playing with his brother, eating well and using the litter box as normal... we were convinced that he was going to be okay.

Dr. Dan called an hour ago to give us the bad news. He mentioned that once the fluid builds up again or Freddy stops eating, we will have one of two options. 1. Drain fluid and administer steroids. 2.Discuss options for the inevitable.

The whole time I was speaking to Dr. Dan, Freddy was starring right at me like he knew I was getting serious news from the doctor. Wide eyes and alert- direct eye contact.

The next step was what most of us on here have done, I goggled everything I could imagine. While I search, Freddy is being cleaned thoroughly by his brother Jason as they lay in bed. A sign of love from a sibling that knows whats next.

How does someone decide to fight or leave in peace. Ive read so many stories about deteriorating cats and their suffering during never ending treatments all to succumb to the same painful outcome.

Who are we to blame?? Indoor cats in a stress free lifestyle with healthy food and living conditions. I guess the breeder?? or their vet?? FIP is a horrible disease with so many mixed opinions. The one bit of information that seems succinct: FIP can be easily killed with disinfectants.....

As Freddy's parents we are very sad and our hearts go out for all who have or had the same experience.

Here is a link that might be useful: Freddy and Jason Ocicat Kittens

o

After a life-time of cats and never having been exposed to an FIP victim, I lost my beautiful little nine year old Russian blue to it last year. She had never, not once in her life, stepped foot on soil nor been exposed to any but her household regulars. Her mother, a feral I'd rescued or any of the other ones could have exposed her to corona virus. The disease was swift and deadly and she went from symptomatic to gone in a matter of weeks. My household was made up of rescue cats from various sources, any or all of which could have been exposed to corona virus. It breaks my heart yet, and also breaks my heart to see other cat owners have to face the decision I had to make. All the disinfectants in the world won't protect a cat if their other housemates have had exposure to corona virus and shed it. It's an immune response or lack of it, and it appears to be the luck of the draw which cats can fight off the mutated virus and which can't. I'm sorry.

o

neville, I am going to hope that your little guy does not have FIP, but will also wish for peace for him if it is.

I have detailed our experience with FIP on this forum, but here's a recap:

We'd gotten our kitten Mayu from our vet (the animal hospital adopts out rescued kittens) in Sept 2003. They told us she was born ~mid-August, which they figured based on her size (she was tiny). After speaking with the person who had found her originally, we suspect she was actually born a few weeks prior to that.

She became ill on more than one occasion during her short life with us-- vomiting, GE episodes, lethargy, inappetance....after each "illness" we had to coax her back into eating, and to being a lively, playful kitten again, and each time it was harder to get her to do so. It wasn't until Nov-December 2003 that she stopped rallying back to her normal self after being sick again. She also hadn't grown much at all--she was still very small.

We never suspected FIP until hearing that it was a good possibility from a different vet (she was running a fever and our regular vet was out of town for a couple of days). From the day we heard those words, until we put her to sleep, was one extremely tear-filled week. We took her to the Animal Medical Center in NYC where they confirmed the DX (although as you have read, it can only be officially confirmed via necropsy--biopsy of the liver post-mortem). Not wanting her to suffer (as she continued to decline), we had her put to sleep at our vet's office late in the afternoon after returning from the AMC.

I don't know if it was the right thing doing it that quickly, or if we should have waited a little longer. We might have had a few more days with her, maybe longer, but at the time couldn't bear to watch her get worse. We'd just lost our 16 yr old cat and our 15 1/2 yr old cat within the previous 4 months, and were already too devastated and drained beyond words. At the time it seemed best for her, and for us to not wait.

So there's our experience. I hope this helps in some way.

cat_mom

o

I chose to have my little blue euthanised on the spot as soon as it was obvious to extend her life she'd need repeated thoracentesis. The Vet was flabberghasted that she looked so healthy and had gotten to that point of gasping for breath without going downhill. I had lost five other pets in the same year, most of whom I wondered if I kept too long for my own sake and not theirs. Shutting her eyes and going to sleep in my arms at the hands of a gentle and caring vet seemed like the most kind thing I could do for her. I'm crying now as I type this. I had to make that decision immediately before I started second guessing myself. sigh. At least she had nine years to share with us being wanted and loved. Losing a kitten would be so hard.

o

This thread is SO heartbreaking. And I admit everytime it pops to the top again I feel a little of the original pain I felt in 2006 when I learned Cleo was sick. How strange that the kitten who started this lives on here. I had never heard of FIP before Cleo was sick, and it is so sad for me that I read about so many other cats getting it.

Calliope, I know what you mean by the cat looking healthy. Cleo lived about 18 months with FIP and we made the difficult decision to put her down once she started having frequent seizures. Our regular vet is off weekends, so we took her to the emergency vet. I was holding her in my arms, wrapped in a towel when I sort of whispered to the receptionis that I need to have her put to sleep and they were quite taken aback asking fairly loudly why I would do such a thing. Once I said "end stage FIP", they were astonished. She looked like a healthy 10 year old cat, but she was in fact a very sick 2 year old. I didn't think she looked that bad at the time, but now that I compare her to my current 2 and 3 year olds, I see how sickly she really was. Of course, she had been sick 18 months at that point. At 6 months old, when she was diagnosed, she looked fine.

My heart goes out to all of you. Losing Cleo impacted my life hugely and impacts the way I am with my current cats. I won't let other cats come to my house, I won't kennel them, I don't even like taking them to the vet. I wanted to adopt a cat from the ASPCA, but I am terrified of bringing something into the house. I don't have children and these cats are my babies.

Many people have sent me private messages over the years and I believe I have responded to each and every one, and will continue to do so.

o

For the last three weeks, I have been in and out of clinics with my two-year old cat, Alex (who thinks his name is Kitty Kat since I have always called him that). When I rushed him to the hospital three weeks ago, he was lethargic, had no appetite, and kept hiding. He was immediately put on an IV and the hospital ran extensive tests (x-ray, blood, urine, etc). Everything was normal except that he tested positive for the cornovirus. Last week we went for an ultrasound where they found a mild amount of liquid in his abdomen. I agreed to let the vets perform a fine needle aspirate where they took a sample of my cat's abdominal fluid. It was subsequently sent to Auburn Univ where they ran tests to see if he has FIP, but the test came back negative. My vet warned me that a negative test result does not rule out FIP because it is likely that the FIP is in the early stages. Additionally, I had the vets send out samples to a lab to see if they could grow bacteria. I found out today that no bacteria grew; thus, his symptoms are not the result of any sort of bacterial issue. We are still waiting for one final test for Bartonella since he was positive as a kitten and later successfully treated for this.

After spending another weekend at the vets, my cat is home with me now. Since he isn't eating or drinking, they are injecting liquids into him. In addition to taking appetite stimulants, the vets have also started him on prednisone and continued with his antiobiotics. Despite this, his fevers continue to fluctuate and all he does is sleep. He has lost 5 lbs, going from 16 to 11 lbs. He also looks so sad.

I have done everything possible - from taking him to a hospital for emergency care, then to a very reputable internal medicine, and almost daily care at a great local veterinary clinic - despite this, I still don't have real answers and my cat continues to decline. I was never a "cat person" until I adopted my cat impulsively during a visit to PetsMart where a rescue group had their kittens. Now, I love cats especially this little guy. At this point, I'm at a loss about what to do next. Tomorrow morning I'm speaking to my vet at the Internal Medicine practice to see how to proceed...but I'm not hopeful that I'll get any real answers. The vets point to his symptoms as a sign of FIP... lethargy, loss of appetite, and fluctuating fevers that wouldn't break with antibiotics.

All I can think of doing is giving my Alex a comfortable home during his last days. Sorry for the long post. I thought you all would understand.

o

I thought you all would understand
WE do, indeed, we do... We've all been there, whether it is years ago or just months ago.. Alex (Kitty Kat) is lucky to have you do all you can for her, and you have good vets. You may never get an answer, so just concentrate on giving her all the affection you can. Thinking of you,
Anne-Marie

o

monica, my heart breaks everytime I read or hear about another kitten or cat Dx'd w/ possible FIP. Our Mayu's Elisa test came back negative, as well, but all signs pointed to FIP (in her case, the vet suggested that it was possible the antibodies were so bound up with the virus, there weren't any/enough left to attach to the test).

I hope that someday soon they will figure out a safe and reliable way to prevent and also cure this awful disease.

I wish you peace in the days and weeks to come.

o

Thanks Ann-Marie & Cat Mom. After another day of my cat not eating (at this point, he won't even eat his gravy which is his favorite), I called my vets and they are having me take him in tomorrow morning for yet another checkup. My normal vet told me it was time to start asking myself the tough questions, and that I should discuss my options with the internal medicine vets. I've never had to put a pet down, and I'm terrified of the idea of having to do so. But, I also realize that my Alex is suffering and that he's simply tired of fighting.
Thanks again for your support.

o

If I were closer I'd go with you....not that I have any easy time with it, but know how lousy it is having to go through it.

Keep us posted and love Alex up as much as you can....

o

After being home for two days, I had to take Alex back to the internal medicine vet because he suddenly went from bad to worse. During my visit, they found that within a week Alex had gained 0.7 lbs of fluids in his belly. They tried one last medication and kept him overnight. The vets called today and said that there was nothing left to do and that the meds only seemed to make him worse. This afternoon I drove to the vets where I visited my Alex who was so tired and frail. He wouldn't even look at anyone anymore...he just had a glare over his eyes and it seemed like he would look past us. I decided it was time to put him to rest. He fell asleep while I held him. The only comfort I have is that he is no longer in pain. Thank you again for your support.

o

Monica, I am soooo sorry about Alex. After all you did for him, you must feel totally drained. He was lucky you fought along his side... and that you felt it was time to end his pain!! A cat with the wet form of FIP goes fast. I only experienced the dry form with one of my cats (the final attack was on the nervous system, and I had to let her go within two days), and I really hope I never have to deal with either form of this horrible disease EVER again, and I wish you the same!!

he just had a glare over his eyes.. that will be the hardest image to erase from all your memories with him. He must have been quite a guy to turn you into a "cat person", and a GREAT one, too!!

Thinking of you,
Anne-Marie

o

Monica, I am so, so very sorry for your loss. Having lost a kitten to this G-awful disease (as I've mentioned), I know how helpless it makes us feel. I can only hope it can be eradicated within our lifetime.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating here; "Losing a pet is the worst part of the best part of our lives."

My condolences to you during this sad time. (((HUGS)))

o

It was so sad and hard for me to let Alex go. Even the vets said he looked like only a shell of what he used to be, and that it seemed as if he were on his way to passing. I'm definitely exhausted...I invested so much time and energy into his treatment. My regular vet was so kind and left me a voice message today telling me he had heard what happened, and that he wanted to let me know he was thinking about us. The other vet office also called to tell me that my Alex's ashes were ready to be picked up. I was able to barely tell them that I wanted the blanket back that I dropped off. At times I think that I'm getting too emotional about all of this...I look at pictures of Alex and remember all of the joy he brought to my life and I'm so sad that he's gone. My cat (and my 6-yr old dog) are a big part of my busy life. I'll miss him greatly.
Remember to give your cats (or dogs!) a big hug and kiss tonight!

o

I'm so sorry, Monica.

Go ahead & be as emotional as you are moved to be;
our capacity to love & grieve makes us better human beings.

o

I am so sorry for the loss of Alex. Warm thoughts and deepest sympathies.

o

I'm sitting here in the dark having been reading for hours about the hopeless condition my young Captain Jack is in.

He just turned 3 this last Valentines Day. He is the most wonderful boy. He always has the best sense of humor. If he is on my chest and I wink at him, he lightly puts his paw on my eye. If I wink the other eye, he will put both paws on my eyes. If he wants attention, he bites my chin or nose and looks straight into my eyes from 2 inches away. His Mom was a stray who wouldn't take no for an answer, and when I saw a kitten leg sticking out from under her derrerier, I jumped up and looked around for a drawer or box for her to have the kittens in...She jumped up on the white down comforter at the foot of my bed, flopped down and immediately delivered three of the cutest kittens. I was so honored for her to trust me enough to have them right where I slept.
Now. The fluid in his abdomen, listless, hasn't been drinking or eating for the last couple of days. One kidney is big, the other is small. I'm to get the tests back in the morning. I can't sleep.

Here is a link that might be useful: Captain Jack's pictures

o

What a cute cat David, one of our cats is a male tuxedo, similar looking. Sending positive thoughts to you & Captain Jack.

o

Dave, there are no words. From one who has been in your shoes, you have my empathy, and sympathy as you and your Captain Jack go through this....

o

Sue,

I am so sorry to hear about your cat who was diagnosed with FIP. My cat, Snuggles, was diagnosed with it shortly after I rescued her from being a street cat on a horribly cold winter's day. I took her to the Vet for her constant diarrea.

The Vet told me Snuggles would live no more than 6 months as that is the longest life record for cats with this illness here in the USA.

My cat was 9 months old when she was diagnosed. I went home and hugged her and cried. I loved my Snuggles so much.

Snuggles weighed in at 5 lbs that day. I kept her indoors, fed her kitten food, wet food and treats. I made sure the heat was on in the winter and the air conditioner was on in the summer. We enjoyed time together on the deck when the weather permitted. Above all else, Snuggles was held, petted, kissed and love on every single day. I told her I loved her. We snuggled together and she slept with me in spite of her diarrea. Most people think, gross. So would I if it was not for my love of a pet.

Snuggles gained weight in spite of her illness. She gained until she was at 10 lbs. Not bad for a FIP cat. Snuggles continued to have diarrea then added vomiting to her symptoms. I went to work then came home and cleaned up all of the messes on the floor throughout the house. The number climbed the longer she lived.

My arms ached from the cleanup duty. Sometimes, my daughter would cheer me on so I could continue cleaning even when my arms hurt so bad. Eventually, I bought an official carpet cleaner and used it instead.

In spite of the prognosis, Snuggles lived 3 years post diagnosis. The final 6 months, she lost 5 lbs and was so covered in pooh that I could no longer bear to hug her anymore. I eventually had her put to sleep as I could tell she too was tired of the fight.

I will never forget nor stop loving my sweet Snuggles. I hope you give plenty of love to your precious kitty too. I believe that love plays a huge role in the well being of our pets, sick or healthy.

Good luck to you.

Mary

o

I sit here having brought Gunner home to die. He stopped eating and started having the worst wt loss I've ever noticed in an animal several days ago. He then started having wobbly spells. I knew something was wrong, as I had had him to the vet the week before for lethargy and we had completed a round of antibiotics and albon for intestinal parasites, with only a slight improvement. I took him to the vet and they began to run tests. That was this past Friday. It is now Tuesday and about an hour after getting him home, he had a really bad seizure. The first that I am aware of. I stopped the testing today as he has been in the ICU for almost 2 days with no improvement and a severe worsening of the neurological symptoms. The vet said without the ultrasound that they were going to do to give me the closest to certain diagnosis they could, there is no 100% diagnosis. I had never before heard of FIP before Friday and less than a week later, it is changing my life forever! I look back now and Gunner and his brother Sarge were rescues, as their mother was hit by a car when they were about 4 weeks old and a rescue placed them all in a foster home. About a week after they arrived in my home, they both became sick as had 2 of their 3 littermates back at the foster home. Gunner was always the more sick kitten. Sarge never had a high fever like Gunner did, and Gunner was never as active and energetic as Sarge. I honestly believe had they done a little more investigating they would have found that Gunner was FIP+ then. While this wouldn't have changed the outcome, it would have prepared me for what I am now blindsided by. I would have known he was going to die, not when or where. I would have loved him like I did but maybe a little more as I would have known he wouldn't be here as long as some of my other cats, and wouldn't have the full life of love to look forward too. Instead he is 11 months old and I am waiting for him to die. Something about that is so unfair, and makes me so completely angry I could cry some more. Which wouldn't take much these days, as I have cried all day everyday for the last 5 days. I just now need the courage to ease his suffering and be his mommy and see him through till the end. Thank you for this feed, I read it all this morning before I went to get him and it helped me to make my decision. I was definitely more calm and able to put his needs ahead of my own. Thanks everyone!!!!

o

Missy520, if Gunner is doing that poorly, the best thing for him at this point would be to put him to sleep (I am tearing up as I type this, so please, please don't think I'm being cut and dried blunt). You don't want Gunner to suffer any further. It is one of the hardest things to do, but with FIP, really the best thing you can do for him.
I am so, so sorry he has this. You and he will be in my thoughts today.

o

Thanks Cat mom, As you typed that, my son, my mom and I were at the vet with Gunner. I was able to ease his suffering about 4 min after you posted. I am now researching when and if it is safe to introduce another kitten to this house someday. I find the literature informative, but confusing at times. The vet said to wait 12 weeks before introducing another kitten. Does that mean that the other 2 cats in the house have it now, or could Gunner have had it for awhile and it just became active....I'm really confused. Is there any literature that you found that might explain this better? Thanks for everything!

o

Missy520, I am so very, very sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you. I so wish they would finally develop a reliable vaccine and a cure for this horrible death sentence of a disease.

We had read/heard anywhere from; no need to wait, to 30 days, to never (bring another kitten into the home). We still had the ~5 month old kitten we'd brought home a couple months after bringing home the kitten we ended up losing to FIP.

Most cats are exposed to corona virus at some point (during their lives), and only some are genetically predisposed for it to mutate into FIP (which is always mutating itself). Other cats who have been exposed are potentially shedders of the virus and/or carriers (?).

Because we didn't know if our 5 month old kitten was shedding the virus, would develop FIP, or ????, we opted to wait 30 days before introducing another kitten into our home. It turned out to be longer since kitten season was months away (we had to put our first kitten to sleep the day after Christmas). We ended up bringing home a new kitten the beginning of May.

The first week(s)/month(s)after we lost our first kitten, we were hyper-vigilant about cleaning out/dumping/scrubbing the litter box (with bleach). If our remaining kitten was shedding the virus, we didn't want her to infect/re-infect herself. She is 8 yrs old now and I pray that she and her younger "sister" live long and healthy lives (with us).

May your little Gunner rest in peace.

o
RE: Bad news, my kitten has FIP.

This happened in 2003, BTW, so I don't know if there have been any advances made (from what I've read on this forum, it doesn't seem so). Cornell's site was pretty informative if I recall.

o

I just spent hours reading and researching about FIP and i came accross this blog, i took my 9 month old kitten: Ninja, to the vet today because he has not been acting like himself lately. He stopped playing, he doesnt eat much, only when someone is in the house and that started to worry me and my husband. At first, i thought he was depressed, since i adopted him from the shelter in June and i was always home, however, being a teacher, once august came, i have not been home as much and that is when i started to notice his odd behavior. The vet told me that Ninja tested positive for FIP and that he has a bad case. I just found out about this about 2 hours ago. You might be able to understand what i am going through, i have been crying uncontrollably because i cannot believe this would happen to him, he is like my baby and i love him so very much i cannot imagine coming home and him not being here. The vet asked me if i wanted to treat it and i agreed to it, whatever it takes to treat him. i am now just hoping and praying to God, Ninja reacts well to the treatment (amoxicilin and immune boosters) and that we can have him for a very long time happy and healthy. Im also wondering how he n=might have gotten this, if the record from the shelter said he tested negative in may, then he was sent to a local supermarket that has cats for adoption straight from the shelter and ever since i got him he has been indoors.

o

Erika_Isabel, I am so sorry to read about Ninja's Dx. I totally understand what you are feeling and going through, as do many here, unfortunately. It is possible the virus was transmitted by his mom or he contracted via exposure to another cat shedding the virus. The corona virus is all around apparently, and only mutates into FIP in kittens/cats who are genetically predisposed for it to happen. Usually affects kittens and older cats (with less than full-strength immune systems??).

The reason why he tested negative, is that the tests for FIP are often unreliable. The virus is constantly mutating, so it is hard to test for it. Our own kitten tested negative on an ELISA test for FIP, when it was clear that she had it. It's likely her antibodies were so bound up with the virus, there were none available to show up on the test. The only valid test is a necropsy (biopsy after death) of the liver I believe. Anything else is anecdotal, relying on symptoms presented by the kitten or cat. Some are; recurring fevers that don't respond to antibiotics, lack of appetite, lethargic, distended belly (fluid drawn from the belly or lungs is usually straw colored with FIP), and weight loss.

I don't know if any new treatments are showing promise, but I wish you and Ninja much luck. I hope he is able to beat this.

(((HUGS)))

o

Thank you very much for replying. I am wiling to do whatever it would take to maintain him as happy and healthy as possible. It just took me and my husband completely by surprise, we just adopted him this past June and were planning to adopt a second one to keep him company and now this. It is incredible and unexplainable the way I feel right now and how attached one can get to a pet. At this point I am just hoping and praying that he reacts well to the treatment and is with us living happily and healthy like he always was prior to this for a long time.

o

My thoughts and prayers will be with you all and I am hoping for the best.

o

I signed up here because I have gotten the same diagnosis for my shelter kitty, Precious, just about an hour ago. She has all the classic signs. We will know more tomorrow at 10 or 11 AM (11/28/11). But I'm not going to avoid the obvious. I am just going to make her comfortable and spoil her rotten until it's time to say goodbye :o)

Thank you all for this thread, I'm so glad I found it.

o

Thank you cat_mom for all the support. I just came back from the vet. The past few weeks have been a lot of work as far as making sure Ninja is eating and drinking and using the litter box, which was a main concern to my vet. We have been in and out of there since we got diagnosed about 3 weeks ago... Up until last night, ninja was doing just fine, eating well, drinking lots and the meds really seemed to help. However, the fluids in his abdomen have continued to accumulate. Last night, he started "wheezing" and it was evident that he had trouble breathing and has been since. The vet gave him a diuretic to help with the fluids and told him to continue the treatment. As soon as we got home, I noticed Ninja has lost his sense of balance, he cannot longer stand on his own, and his legs seem to be "stiff", my husband and I are heartbroken, we have loved and cared for this kitty from day 1 when we adopted him from the shelter and just to think that very soon he will not be with us brings me to tears. We are considering putting him to sleep because he just seems to be suffering and that is the last thing I would want for Ninja. He is such a fighter and doesn't give up. I do not regret anything and if I had to do it all over again a million times I would without a doubt.

o

Oh Erika_Isabel--I am soooo sorry! I'm tearing up as I type. This is just such an awful, awful disease! We too, fell in love with our baby Mayu the day we brought her home. She helped heal the hole left in our hearts when our first cat (our 16 year old "baby") passed away (a month before) and the about to be hole as we watched our second cat (our 15 1/2 year old "baby") decline while battling fibrosarcoma (we lost her a month to the day before Miku's Dx).

If/when you put him to sleep, it will be the right thing to do--know that you did everything you could for him. Allow yourself to grieve as much, and for as long as you need.

When you are ready, please consider adopting another little one or two to love. It is the best way to honor your Ninja and his legacy. We love the two we have now (one we had gotten as a companion for Mayu about a month before we lost her). They are not "substitutes" by any means. It was tough at first trying not to make comparisons (to our other cats), but we love them for their own personalities and endearing ways. I hope you will be able to achieve that as well, whenever that may be.

Peace.

o

Rest In Peace Ninja Piloto... We put him to sleep a few minutes ago. We couldn't bare to see him suffer. :'( God has my angel by him.

o

(((HUGS)))

o

I have today been advised that my 5 month old kitten has FIP. He is in hospital receiving emergency care. He started showing symptoms 1 week ago when he had a chest infection, since then.it has been downhill.

It is confirmed that he is blind and does not have long to live. He has loss of appetite, lethargy, weight loss, fluid in the abdomen and neurological issues.

He is a fighter, and has a pcv of 9 and still trying so hard. I feel so guilty leaving him in the hospital as he is scared and I want him to feel safe and loved. They are reluctant to do a blood transfusion as they will only be prolonging the illness.

I am so sad that in such a short space of time that his health has deteriorated. They say he looks about 3 months old.

I am so attached to him as he is my one and only and I know that tomorrow I will have to make the decision to withdraw care and let him go, it just breaks my heart. I wish I could have more time with him.

o

skjamathome--OMG, the vet told us our Mayu likely had FIP on Dec 19th (18th?), 2003. It was the first night of Chanukah, which, ironically, it is tonight. Mayu was born towards the end of July 2003, though our vet's office had been insisting she was born in August, because of her small size. So, she also was about 5 months old but looked much younger.

I feel for you and wish I had words of comfort for you at this moment. I am sure in his short life, your kitten knew he was loved. It is small solace but I hope you know that he will go on to heaven knowing this. I am ever grateful that we were entrusted with the care of our special little angel baby during her all too brief time here on earth. I am grateful that we were able to keep her safe and warm and cared for as the weather turned colder and that she did not die alone in the cold. Again, small comfort, but some measure of it nonetheless.

I wish you peace during this difficult time. My thoughts are with you and your little one.

(((HUGS)))

o

Hi everyone,

I last Feb (Feb 2011) I was told a week before my wedding that both of my beautiful ragdoll cats who were at that time 1 years old would die before they were 3 years old from FIP. He also diagnosed both with Feline Herpes. Both had high coronavirus titres (Ari's was very high) but I don't believe they had any more tests done other than the titre, feline aids, feline leukaemia and toxoplasma gondis (i think it was called) all of which were negative aside from the coronavirus.

The reason it came to our attention was because one of my cats Ari had a little bit of the runs (I had changed his cat food over so I put it down to this as he is quite sensitive to changes in his food) and what I thought was conjunctivitis but turned out to be Uveitis. It was the second time he has uveitis as I mentioned to the vet he had similar symptoms 3 months prior. So as you can imagine I freaked out given that all I was told was that BOTH my cats had FIP and there was NOTHING I could do and BOTH were going to die. No two ways about it! Ive done a lot of research since then and know now that is not necessarily the case.

I really want to share an amazing company I have found: http://www.holisticanimalmedicines.com/ which are based out of Perth, Australia which is where I live (luckily) - they post anywhere in the world though and they have been amazing with helping me and have given me great info over the past 11 months. I started both of my kitties on some supplements to help strengthen their immune systems and a couple of corona virus nosodes. 3 months later Ari again got another case of Uveitis - I switched to raw kangaroo rather than cat food (don't know what would be similar to this overseas but kangaroo works well for me here) and put him on a herbal antibiotic and some eye drops from HAMPL and it was cleared up within 2 days - the time before in Feb he had Uveitis it took a week with antibiotics to clear up and the last time he had Uveitis was May last year. We have not had any other issues aside from the odd case of the run or constipation and the sniffles, Ari is a skinny cat but he has always been a skinny cat, his weight hasn't changed in the last year. They are both gorgeous happy kitties and I love them so much!

My hope is that the vet diagnosis was completely wrong and I will have my babies for a long time to come! But I couldn't recommend http://www.holisticanimalmedicines.com highly enough. There is even a kit for cats who are a lot worse off then mine (just search for FIP) and they have had great success in helping cats who are at the stage with fluids even. Shoot them an email and let them know what is going on and they will do their best to help you out. I have even written a review on my experience with the infection fighter (natural antibiotic).

I would love to hear from anyone who might have had a misdiagnosis?

Ill keep my fingers crossed for all our kitties that we have them for a long time to come!!

Emma

o

If ALL your vet is going by is the corona virus titers, then I think your vet was WAY off base in making his dire prediction! All that means is your kitties have been exposed to the corona virus....which is "natural" since they're Ragdolls and obviously came from a breeder. Most cats coming from a cattery or animal shelter HAVE been exposed to it (I think I read somewhere that the figure is about 90-95%). It's only when that virus mutates (which is individual to each cat) does FIP occur....which is in somewhere around 5-10% of cats (again, from reading FIP research), and there IS a genetic susceptibility for the mutation.

I just lost a Ragdoll to it last Nov. She was 17 months old. Her 3-weeks-older cousin (from same breeder) is fine. I'm sure his titers are high because 1) he came from the same cattery, and 2) he shared her litter box all this time with us. It doesn't mean he will get it.

You could ask for more testing on the kitty with the uveitis. The blood work would show if his globulins are high or not. That--along with low to low-normal albumin--is indicative of FIP.

I'm glad you're finding "natural" help and diet for your kitty's problems. I think that's the best support for his immune system.

Good luck!

o

It has been really hard for me to read through this thread, as I have the vantage point of time lapse, and reading about your cats' initial sickness, progressive struggle, and eventual passing. I had never heard of FIP and my family's had cats for years...so now it's odd to have read all about it and have it consuming my thoughts and affecting me so personally. i have done much research and i have a good handle on it, but my cat's case is confusing. we are waiting for more blood test results on monday to diagnose, but in the meantime we are left to suffer as the vet suspects fip.

however, mischa, my cat, is doing so much better. she is an almost-four-year-old mitted sealpoint Ragdoll. she is beautiful and such an odd, quirky girl. i raised her from kittenhood and i love her deeply, she is my girl. after christmas she became subtle-y listless - we had just adopted an 8mo boy cat and he's a bit rambunctious (we discovered a bad scratch on her inner ear and a patch of hair missing. she is timid, anxious, and passive (like me) so we assumed she'd been roughed up by one of the boys, no big deal, however i suspected depression. several days later she wasn't eating, drinking, hardly moved or left her tower, hung her head and was unresponsive to stimuli. after a trip to the vet where they didn't know what was wrong, administered sub-cu's and took blood (which came back normal,) she declined quickly in a day and my mom and i were certain she was dying and wouldn't last the night. she did, and we took her to the vet again where they administered more sub-cu fluids and drew more blood. they did an xray and found a minimal amount of fluid in her right lung - the doc seemed totally unconcerned, and she was dehydrated with a MINOR fever. the doc suggested pneumonia and gave us antibiotics. two or three days after that, she is doing 10x better. literally over a span of 4 or 5 days she went from acting like she was on death's door, to acting like a still-sick cat well on its way to recovery. she was not eating or drinking, had a small fever, a TINY bit of fluid in her lungs, and lethargy, but other than that...now, less than a week later, and no other treatment besides some fluids and 2 or 3 doses of antibiotic she is demanding food steadly and eating heartily, drinking normally, going to the bathroom, and doing her usual activities. she seems alert and more like herself. the only reason i think the vet suspected fip was her similar symptoms and a high coronavirus titre. i know lots of healthy cats show titres but is a high titre a bad sign? if it was truly fip, would she be doing so much better? would fip behave this way? i didn't think so, and it shouldn't respond at all to antibiotics, but after reading of Sue and Chloe's experience, I am terrified again. the only difference being mischy went from on death's door to really much better with only antibiotic assistance...am i a fool to get my hopes up and perhaps this is just some kind of nasty trick played on us by the virus - she seems better for a bit but soon she will continue to decline? i am confused, and frightened to be hopeful...she will cry out sometimes as if in discomfort, but i don't know if this might simply be pneumonia or any other basic curable illness causing her discomfort she's not used to. her breathing is a bit labored but she has no cough. thank you for listening and i am so terribly sorry for all you have gone through with your own little loved ones. mischa is precious to me...i don't want to lose her, there will never be anyone else like her, and it sickens me to think of her fragile little body being ravaged and destroyed by this hideous illness. she is a sensitive cat, and very anxious/stress-prone which i fear makes her more susceptible...we have 3 other boys, all under 3 years who are fine.

o

Mischy, generally, from what I've read, FIP tends to strike very young cats/kittens and older cats (weaker immune systems for both age groups). It's entirely possible that given here age, your Mischa (my first cat was Misha, BTW) did not have FIP, and that it was pneumonia as your vet first thought. I certainly am hoping so. Many/most cats have been exposed to coronavirus, and will show titres indicating this, however, not all cats will develop FIP having had or been exposed to the virus. Generally the cat is genetically predisposed to have the virus mutate into FIP. So, as I wrote above, it is possible she doesn't have, or won't develop FIP.

However, if you've read the accounts above and elsewhere, one of the hallmarks of this insidious disease, is that a cat can cycle through periods of seemingly good health, and periods of illness (lethargy, inappetance, fever, etc.). That's what happened with our Mayu during her short life--she'd get sick, took fluids, meds, a lot of coaxing to perk her back up, she'd be well for a few weeks, and then sick again. Only time will tell unfortunately if that is what will happen with your Mischa. I will keep my fingers crossed that she will remain healthy and well (as will your other cats, too).

Please keep us posted and know that you are not alone here.

o

Mischy--if the blood work was "fine", I'd try not to worry about FIP just yet! Ignore the titer for now.

Maybe Mischa has been upset by the new addition and also hurt by him--the cut--which got infected?

I hope Mischa continues to improve--and it sounds like she's well on the way. My Coco is a mitted sealpoint Ragdoll, too--aren't they just gorgeous! With his companion having just died from FIP, I worry soooo much about him.

Good luck.

o

I had proof-read my post, but must have sent the un-edited version ("here age" should be "her age" for ex.). I also meant to write that the coronavirus will mutate into FIP in cats genetically predisposed for this to happen. I'm sorry if I didn't word it clearly.

o

thank you guys so so much...it helps so much just to have contact with people who understand and can offer advice/comfort. weird coincidence: i just today ran into one of the two vets who treated mischa this past week, the two times i told you about...but i was an hour away from that vets' office, visiting my dad, and i ran into her at panera, of all the places she could have picked! of course in my worried state i talked her ear off and she said they had guessed fip due to the unexplainable fluid (which this vet said was in her chest cavity...the other one said it was in her lung, oy.) she also seemed to confirm my fears that sometimes cats with fip, as you said, Cat-Mom, can have periods of random good health before getting bad again, but that it was a good sign with the only treatment being antibiotics. i can't get this out of my head...if she doesn't have this i will praise the heavens and never want to hear the "word" FIP EVER AGAIN!!! but now that i've read your stories and know how you've all suffered, i'd like to help the cause, i think donating money would be best - is orion foundation legitimate and reliable? again, i can't thank you guys even close to enough, i feel really close to you all having read your experiences and shared mine, and i can just feel your compassion and it touches me so much, i'm even crying. there's something that touches you in a special way when you receive such kindness from people you've never even met before. i will let you know what the vet says on monday...hopefully the news is good, it has to be. my mom already lost her beloved dog jamie in spring '10 to an unidentifiable cancer-type illness. he was an extremely special dog and it broke our hearts to lose him...he was only ten. no more purebreds for us i think - two years before that our purebred sheltie died of bladder cancer at 9 years. our family has been dealing with my parents' divorce which happened around the time of jamie's passing, and last january my grandfather passed as well from a brain hemhorrage (he and my mom were very close.) i don't know if i am strong enough to handle more loss right now, so i have to believe good news is coming. by the way, my actual name is Rebecca but you can call me Becca, everyone does! take care for now and i'll be in touch,

sincerely,
Becca L.

o

Becca, I for one, will be waiting to hear what your vet says tomorrow. After all you have been though, I too, hope the news is good. You are stronger than you realize, you know, but I very much hope that you don't have to handle any more loss either. You poor thing!

Unfortunately, none of us wanted to have firsthand knowledge of FIP, and I know my heart breaks for each new member who joins this select "club." I don't know anything about the legitimacy of the Orion Foundation, but I remember reading their site when we were told our Mayu likely had FIP. She was not a purebred BTW. FIP doesn't discriminate. Hopefully someone else might know more about Orion and will respond to this thread.

Reach out here as often as you need to Becca. Many great people here. You are welcome to email me via GW if you ever want to as well.

o

Becca--please post an update on Mischa when she's all better so we can have some good news! You know--I would call back the vet that discovered her fluids and ask where the fluids were located--the lungs or "chest cavity" and if the fluid was tested.

There IS a fund specifically for FIP called The Bria Fund. It's part of the Winn Feline Foundation.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Bria Fund

o

thank you tracey i will look into that! thank you to you both for your sympathy and kindness...that's really all i had hoped for in coming here. do either of you know how i might post pics of my cat from my computer desktop pictures??? all i see here is a place to copy and paste a url...would a facebook link work? i feel silly, i am 23 years old and i feel like i should know how to do that lol

o

I don't know if a FB link would work (never tried it). I use a (free) photobucket account to upload pics to and then use that URL to have them post here.

o

Same here (Photobucket).

o

photobucket: created! ok, so i couldn't decide on one picture, so i kind of went overboard. as you can probably tell (and relate to!) i am kindof obsessed with my pets and *especially* mischa. she was my first major pet (i had a guinea pig when i was 8.) i hope you like the pics! i included most of misch when she was a baby and recent, but also one of each of our other cats, including mal, a stray my boyfriend and i found at college fall '10 - she was an outdoor cat (NEVER AGAIN!) and disappeared after we had her for two months, but we love her still!

*did not hear back today from vet, why is this taking so long?

Here is a link that might be useful: cat pics

o

Great kitty pics! Your Mischa looks like my Coco; I see she likes to lie on her back like mine does. It's so cute. My new baby, Maggie, will look like your gray bi-color. So, I love your "taste" in cats! ;-)

Call the vet's office if you haven't heard back from them by tomorrow. And always ask for copies of all test results.

Tracey

o

They are all so beautiful!!!!

Darn that vet for not getting back to you today! Definitely call tomorrow if no word by morning.

How is Mischa doing today though?

o

Tracey...actually my mom originally wanted a blue mitted, but wanted a girl so she'd be small (as you know, ragdoll boys get BIG as ours did - 16 lbs.) we had our pick between a sealpoint mischa and her blue mitted bro! we got shiloh a year later from another breeder for mischa to romp with, and cuz my mom thought a boy would be more affectionate, but they actually don't get along well at all lol he bullies her and she's more of a loner anyway. she's really a very odd kitty hah, but i think that's why i love her so much, because i'm kind of odd to match :)

we got jack and tiny because i wanted MORE CATS! and also because unfortunately shi and misch do NOT have typical rag personalities...which is why we went with rags in the 1st place. i think they're the only 2 rags who are like this lol mischa is more like your "standard cat"; a loner, HATES to be held, in contrary form she goes totally stiff and her tail stands up when you pick her up, not big on being touched...sometimes when she sees me coming for her to snuggle she runs away lol. but she has a unique, adorable personality that shows itself in various ways and i love her so anyway! shiloh is kind of a nasty cat...he's not aggressive, but hates to be held, bites if you pet him (not very hard tho) and he bullies everybody but jack, who is king of the roost. i love him a lot despite these things tho. he simply wouldn't be shiloh if he wasn't so grumpy! he's gotten less so as he's aged.

cat mom! i am at my dad's place right now, got here saturday, but my mom says mischa is acting completely back to normal and healthy!!! she says you'd never know she was or still is sick...i feel like that is a good sign! i also feel like FIP would usually not allow her to feel good for so long? it's been almost a week since this all started and she's had what seems like a complete turn-around. this forum has been a great distraction for me and a comfort!

o

That's good to hear, Mischy, that she's "back to normal". Yes, this forum can be a blessing, but it (internet in general) can also be a curse because you can scare yourself to death reading what different "symptoms" might mean. Try not to do that!

I'm sorry your Ragdolls don't live up to their name! I've only ever had rescues before, but our last kitty was with us almost 21 yrs, and she was very independent and didn't want to be held, wasn't a lap cat, etc. My husband had to love her from afar because she only cared for me. So, after she passed, we figured we might need to "buy love" so-to-speak and get a kitty that was bred for its personality. I researched and found Ragdolls. I chose the breeder based on location (only miles from where we'd been relocated after old cat's passing) and testimonials on her website. We weren't disappointed. Very loveable, holdable, sociable, wants to be with you all the time (just not in the lap, but that's fine with me). She breeds for personality and they socialize them well at her house (with her 6 kids to help, not to mention all the kitties' visitors).

In the end, you end up loving them no matter their personalities! Cat people are great!

Good luck with your menagerie and continued good health to Mischa.

o

i just wanted to let you both know that the vet has now informed us the test could take up to a week MORE than we've already been waiting! i'm not sure why this is (since they originally told us last friday,) but i didn't want you to think i'd forgotten about you all or am keeping you out of the loop...we are all out of the loop right now!

o

Thank you for the update. I know how hard it is to wait, especially with something like this. Holding your hand (virtually) while you wait......

o

hello all, my mom told me the vet called her last night and told her mischa "tested positive for the strain of corona usually associated with FIP..." have any of you heard of this test? he seems to be telling us basically she's got it. i am kind of numb in response to finding this out...i had convinced myself she didn't have it due to all the rationale i babbled on about before (response to nothing but antibiotics, her complete turn-around from being on the brink of death, as it seemed, how long she's been feeling better, the fact that the vet seemed completely unconcerned by the "Very small amount" of fluid in her chest until he found out about her titre.)

i am confused because of others on here talking mostly about albumin-globule ratio, which is what i presumed the vet was testing for. i also recall reading, in my huge consumption of google FIP literature recently, that vets USED to believe a specific "strain" of corona caused the mutation, but that it is no longer believed (of course i can't remember what site it was or how old)?! why can't i get any straight answers with these people???? i am so frustrated - i guess all i can do is see what happens with mischa's health and how she feels and let it be, but i know myself and i will go mad with worry and speculation (i happen to have a tendency towards the obsessive compulsive, which doesn't help :( and am an anxious worrier.) i know it sounds selfish but i would like to not have my cat's possible death hanging over my life this way. as you guys know, it is awful. i am in limbo here! this is honestly not the news i expected and i was excited to give you guys good news too. my mom said she thought of not telling me or lying and telling me it was negative...but she was crying in the car today, so i knew. at this moment, though, i feel mostly angry and frustrated...i'm sure the sadness will come back though. thank you again for your patience and help and comfort (it was especially sweet to say you were holding my hand, that makes me teary!) over the past several days you guys have been the best, and i wish i had better news. in other cat-related news (and on a lighter note,) why are feather toys so easily destructible?!

o

Testing positive for corona doesn't mean a cat has or will get FIP.

Yes, the fluid in the chest is of concern. Is it the test results of this that you're waiting on? I think the color and composition of the fluid will let him know for sure. It CAN be other things, so don't despair. Many, many, MANY cats have corona virus and get all kinds of other health problems totally unrelated.

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to think on a bad outcome....try to imagine getting good test results!

There's also a yahoo FIP group which is very helpful and active (more so than this thread in an otherwise general pet forum which I usually don't often check myself) and a Facebook "FIP Fighters" page where you can get much more support. Please check them out. I don't have any experience with wet FIP; my kitty had the dry kind.

Hang in there. Good luck.

o

Hi Mischy,

I understand how you feel! I will be honest with you sometimes I wonder if my vet even has any idea! My vet only tested for corona virus titers in both of my cats and then told me they were both positive for FIP. One cat did have uveitis on 3 occasions as his symptoms and the other kitty had no symptoms of anything before, ever! But he still told me they would both die before they turned 3.

As I mentioned in my previous post I have put both of my cats on supplements to improve their immune system. I would have a look at doing the same - even if you want to send an email to holistic animal medicine to explain your situation and they can recommend some supplements for you or find a holistic vet in your area? On the website they have a corona virus nosode as well as corona relief drops. They do also have full blown FIP kits as well that are available. My cat who was suffering from uveitis and as I mentioned before had it 3 times got it once every 3 months like clockwork. The 3rd time he had it was 3 months after being on the supplements but that was 8 months ago and he is a happy healthy 2 year old cat. Using the holistic antibiotic it took Ari 2 days to recover from his last case of Uveitis rather than a week (I think the immune boosting sups would of helped with this as well). From my understanding FIP is based on stress causing a lower immune system in the cat which then can mutate to FIP so if I were you I would try to avoid anymore antibiotics if you can as they do lower the immunity and get your kitty on some natural alternatives. Also, I haven't needed to over the last 8 months, but if I was to need a vet I won't be taking them out of the house again I will have a mobile vet come to the house to reduce the stress on my kitties.

Good luck Mischy, let us know how you go and try to stay strong!! Just because there is a titer there it really doesn't mean anything and it seems to me that a lot of vets are really behind the 8ball with all of this FIP stuff.

Emma

o

thank you for your reply emma! i am sorry about your poor kitty's eye disease (infection?) why does it seem vets are so eager sometimes to dole out a death sentence??? i thought they were usually reluctant to mention fatal illnesses as possibilities until they were more sure? it would be nice anyway! you have ragdolls too, right? what colors are they?

hmm, i thought the antibiotics were what was making mischy better, so that it would be good to finish them out...but i forgot they can lower immunity. i'm nervous to deviate from what we've been doing as she seems to have turned around completely health-wise or at least feeling-good-wise. i'll look into that tho, thank you. continued health to your rags! and you can call me becca if you'd like, i picked mischy b/c rebecca was taken and to honor mah baby!

o

Hey Becca!

Yeah you would think vets would be more reluctant wouldn't you! So much stress that in a lot of cases are not needed!

Yes I have rag dolls too!! They are seriously the most gorgeous breed of cat!! I have a cream point (Ari) and a blue point (Dakota). What colour (or colour is how its spent in the US) is your fur baby?

I didn't realise she was still on antibiotics you should finish them of course, but maybe look into what else you can do at the same time to help get her immunity up again?

Main thing is to keep positive :) If all the vet has tested for is the titer and found a little fluid in the lungs it doesn't seem like that much to go off!!!

o

Like I've said, test results aren't always conclusive with FIP (out Mayu tested negative on the ELISA test, and it was pretty clear that she had it by then), and it's my understanding that the only way to confirm FIP is through a necropsy (liver biopsy after death). Usually diagnosis is made using anecdotal "evidence" such as protein levels, straw colored fluid drawn from the lungs or abdomen, symptoms...

Although Mayu's test result was negative, giving us some momentary hope, she was clearly not well.

If your Mischa continues to improve, it could very well turn out that she doesn't have FIP. Again, only time will tell. I know it's hard not to worry, but try to enjoy the time you have with Mischa, whether it is many, many years and years or all too few. She is with you now, and as we all know, every moment we get to share with them is precious.

Believe me, I really do know what you are going through and how you are feeling and I will continue to keep you, as I do everyone on this thread, in my thoughts, prayers, and in my heart.

o

emma! mischa is a mitted sealpoint lady cat, and our other rag, shiloh, is a blue bicolor boy - i posted a link further up, to a photobucket album that has one of shiloh and MANY of mischa if you wanna see what they look like! our other 2 are shelter cats; jack and tiny, a gray guy with a white chest, and an itsy bitsy orange and white boy :)

cat mom - again thank you! this has all helped me a lot :) i will try to stay positive

o

I have been going through a similar thing with my cat. I decided to post my situation here as well. When Pepe first got sick I searched the internet and came across this site so I thought it would be helpful to post our situation as well. I have 3 cats, and none of them ever miss a meal.

Thursday night, 1-12-12, Pepe didn't want to eat. He wouldn't even come out from under the bed. The night before he had thrown up some foam with his dinner, but he is long haired and throws up once in a while because of the fur so I didn't think much of it. I dragged him out from under the bed and sat with him. I tried to give him some plain turkey, he turned his head away. I began to worry, he never turns down food. He then got up and seemed very wobbly on his feet. He stumbled and fell down. He began to paw at the blanket like he does when he is in the cat box. I quickly picked him up and put him in the box where he peed. When he was finished he stumbled out and fell again.

I called the vet and they advised to come down right away for after hours care. Once we arrived the vet did an exam and said Pepe had a large kidney. He advised me to get an MRI, XRAY, and several blood tests. Total was to be 900 dollars. I didn't have 900 dollars so I asked to do this step by step. The doctor explained that if it was cancer we could see this on the MRI but there is no treatment.

I decided on just a senior kitty blood test, he is 14, antibiotics and water under the skin (he was dehydrated). The doctor said the blood test will tell us more and we can decide on the MRI and XRAY at that point. When we got home Pepe ate 2 pieces of turkey. I was optimistic. The next day Pepe was 10 times worse. His mouth seemed sealed shut, his mucus so thick from the dehydration. I tried to put water in his mouth from a dropper, he spit it out as it seemed to turn to gel in his mouth.

I was very worried and took him back to the vet. The blood work results were in and they told me Pepe was in Renal Failure, Liver failure, low potassium, anemia and 34000 white blood cell count- very high. The doctor recommended I put him to sleep because the cost to pinpoint a cause would be high and there is not a cure for Renal Failure. His body was shutting down. I asked for option 2. There had to be an option 2. He seemed to get sick over night. He had never ever been sick a day in his life. They said they could put him on IV fluids to hydrate him and give him antibiotics. They said it would work like dialysis for his kidneys.

Pepe stayed the day and that evening they called me to pick him up. They don't have overnight care but I would need to bring him back the next day for more IV. They said he looked much better and ate an entire can of food. He was alert and pissed to be there. Once I got him home he ran straight to his food dish and ate like crazy. I gave him another can of food, and he drank lots of water. Next day, more IV fluids and antibiotics. I picked him up and brought him home at the end of the day. I was told to bring him back the next day for another day of IV fluids.

At home he seemed back to normal. If I didn't know his blood test results I would have assumed he was better. After day three they did another blood test. His Potassium was normal, his kidney function was stabilizing, his liver was still high but stable not rising, his white blood cell count went down to 24000 and the anemia was gone. The doctors were shocked.

I brought him home. I was told to keep him on antibiotics. At this point, after the first day of IV, he was eating and drinking on his own, even sitting in the window and playing with his toys. They told me to bring him back in a week and retest the blood. A week later he was retested. Kidney and liver were now normal; potassium was normal but slight anemia and white blood cell count back up to 32000. They doctors were again confused. They gave me more antibiotics to give him and liquid steroids to control the white blood cell count until we knew what was going on. They said he needed to be tested for FIV and FeLV. Both came back negative. They tested him for FIP.

It was positive at 1:25. I don't even know what that means. The vet said it�s rare and he has never seen it but we need to be sure. The doctor also said if it�s negative he believes it may be auto immune disease. Pepe would need to stay on steroids for a while. I will know more tomorrow when they results come back. Pepe seems to be feeling good, eating and drinking well, using the kitty box and playing. His belly doesn't appear to be filling with fluid, although I still have opted to not XRAY or MRI, I just don't have the money, and the vet said it may not tell us anything more- or at least it may not tell us anything we can can do anything about. He is very skinny and has been for a while.

o

Good luck with your kitty, jennje. I know how scary it is to have a sick kitty and don't know how to help them.

As for the FIP "test"....looks like they only did a corona virus titre. All that means is that he's been exposed to the corona virus which is the virus that, in a small percentage of cats, mutates into the usually fatal FIP.

I hope Pepe continues to improve!

o

Cat mom - thank you, reading your message helped me to get through. Sadly my poor boy was put to sleep on 22 December after the fluid in his abdomen made it difficult for him to breathe. He is in a better place now and I am proud to have had the chance to be his mum. We are currently waiting for results to come back to see whether his sister has the same high titers (the vets were stunned as to how high our sweet captains were) and I guess we will have to keep monitoring her on a regular basis to see whether further complications arise :( fingers crossed, we will have a happier and healthier outcome this time

o

skjamathome, I am so sorry. Big (((HUGS))).

Please let us know what the vet says re: his sister. I will keep her in my thoughts.

o

skjamathome - so sorry to hear about your poor kitty...my heart goes out to you, stay strong!

can anyone give me an idea how long it takes the abdominal fluid to build up? because i got a little paranoid and thought i felt some on my cat, but i'm not sure if it's her normal kitty girl fat, i can't remember exactly what it felt like before. she had a violent projectile vomit the other day, but she felt pretty good after...it may have been the wet food we gave her which she isn't used to. i keep watching her to see if her breathing is labored, but it may be so absolutely subtle i'm having trouble telling :(

o

Mayu had a bloated looking belly from the very start (that we knew her). It was thought that it was a wormy belly despite her having been wormed. In fact, it appeared to go down briefly after we gave her a dose of worm medicine sometime during the first month we had her, but it didn't stay that way if it did.

She remained small, and thin, but with a round belly.

o

Mischy - captain deteriorated fast and the vets said that the fluid built up in his abdomen very quickly. I am sure that it will be different for all; when i got him from the rescue he was already ill.

I have had the test results back for my other cat and the vets have said that she has been exposed to the virus due to her having high titers and now with the lack of appetite it's not looking very good. I am hoping that it is a temporary thing for her and she will start to eat again soon!

I thought I was doing a good thing getting them from a rescue, but �2000 later and counting my bank account is drying up! I do love them very much but am so angry at the rescue for not telling me, at least I could have been prepared

o

TO SKJAMATHIME: how is your other kitty doing as of now? i hope she is better. you did do a very good thing adopting them, but i understand, to involuntarily sign yourself up for such heartbreak and expenses is unfair and you should have had a choice and been informed.

TO EVERYONE!: i was afraid to hope for the best...but it's been three months since mischa originally showed signs of sickness and only slightly less than that since her "diagnosis" and she has only continued to appear in near perfect health. to everyone, including myself, she seems just fine. in fact, if anything, she seems to have even more vigor than ever before! the doctor originally told my mom that WITH all possible ongoing treatments she would only make it a few months, then would rapidly decline until the inevitable. this apparent healthy state is with absolutely no treatment. i am still very wary, but for now i've almost forgotten she was supposed to be sick. it has been such a great burden lifted from my shoulders, i can't even say. thank you again for your support and i am glad to have great news for you finally, at least for now. take care all,

Becca

o

Hi Everyone,

My cat, Taz, has just been recently diagnosed with FIP. I have had him for 12 years. He was a stray, so I would guess he is probably 14 years old. I also took in another kitty, Teka, at the same time. They were both full grown, so I am not sure if they were litter mates. I found them together. Teka suddenly developed a lot of fluid on her tummy in March 2011. They told me she had FIP, but I was having a hard time buying this since the kitties had been indoors for years. She declined rapidly, and after a couple of days, I made the dreaded decision. After speaking to the vet about the risk to Taz, she wasn't overly concerned even though he is diabetic. A few months went by, and I just knew Taz wasn't going to get it and I attributed Teka's death to heart issues.

Over a year has passed since Teka's passing. I took Taz to the vet on Wednesday for low level vomiting and it seemed that his tummy felt hard. After X-rays, they discovered the fluid. Once again, he was diagnosed with FIP. They drained him and sent meds home with me. I am really struggling with the diagnosis. He has dealt with pancreatitis several times before, and I read that this can cause fluid in the abdomen. He goes in for a re-check tomorrow. My husband told me not to put him to sleep since we were not sure of the diagnosis and he has been much worse than this before from pancreatisis and has made a full recovery each time. I am watching his breathing very carefully. He is very relaxed and doesn't seem to be in pain. He will lick some gravy but for the most part I am force feeding him, and really it isn't forcing, I have done it so much in the past with his bouts of pancreatitis, he sits on my lap and opens his mouth. I have cried over and over again for the past few days. I just want to be able to make the right decision and know it was the right thing to do. The moment I think he is struggling or suffering, I will end it. At this point, the vet does not seem to think that he is. Any advice? Has anyone heard of pancreatitis causing fluid? His blood work was normal except for his amalayse which was incredibly high. This is an indicator of pancreatis. My vet does not run the globulin tests, etc. Just the standard for liver, kidneys, diabetis, etc.

o

Jen- I am so sorry to hear of your cats' illnesses. i couldn't cope with the idea of my one cat potentially having FIP, so it seems impossibly unfair when i hear of it striking twice in one home. i know there's really no consolation for you right now, but you are very lucky to have had him as long as you have! i'm sure he is lucky as well to have had YOU for so long. i've never had a pet live to be older than 11. it doesn't make it easier, i know, but it is one thing to be grateful for anyway. i do not have any knowledge of pancreatitis, so i can't answer that question for you...but the one hope i can give you is that so far my cat's diagnosis appears to have been WRONG. definitely do not base your decision regarding euthanasia on his FIP diagnosis. i'm sure everyone here would tell you just to watch him and try to be in tune with him the very best that you can - i'm sure you will be able to do that just fine, i think you will know what to do. i don't want to give you false hope, because the fluid build-up for your cat doesn't sound good...but just to let you know that hope is possible, as it was for my cat. she also had a small amount of fluid in her chest three months ago...it was never drained, and now she seems fine. from what i've heard, this disease is not well-understood at all. i wish you luck, and i am sorry for taz's and your suffering...i hope the best for your taz :) keep in touch,

Becca

o

Thanks Becca,

I had to let Taz go on Saturday. His fluid was back and his ears were white and cold. He wouldn't eat at all. My vet told me she would drain him again but she felt I would be forced to make a decision by Monday or Tuesday. He hated the vet clinic and really cried the first time they drained him. I loved him too much to do that to him again just to have him two more days. It's really devestating and I still think I hear him meowing. I even found one of his claws he had shed in my towel this morning. Thank you for the kind words. I really hope they are wrong about your kitty's diagnosis and she continues to thrive. Thanks again.

o

JenDye21, I am so sorry about Taz. May he rest in peace.

(((HUGS)))

o

Mischy - Morgan is doing well, she has her good days and her bad when she doesn't eat. She has put on a bit of weight so the vets say it is a good sign. It looks like it is just a waiting game now.. I think she misses her brother because she is joined to my hip now!

Jen - sorry to hear about Taz, he is no longer suffering and knows that he was loved dearly.

When my other cat was diagnosed with FIP the vets said that they can only give a definitive diagnosis with an autopsy of the tissue, the FIP diagnosis they give is generally based on the high titer and physical symptoms.

o

oh no, i'm so so sorry jen...your post made me cry because i find it so confusing how they are with you one moment, and the next all you have is a nail. it's always been so hard for me to understand. i hope you are able to find some comfort during this difficult time for you. and thank you dearly for your kind words about *my* cat. as confident as i feel sometimes about her improvement, i will think i catch her looking sick sometimes and feel i'm crazy. a bigger part of me than i like to admit still fears the worst is on the horizon...i hope that goes away.

skjamathome - so glad to hear about morgan. i hope her good days outweigh her bad ones!

o

I just found these posts the day after my dear little Strider has been diagnosed with FIP...I've cried for all of you and I cried for myself. My head has been swimming with all the information I've read on the internet about FIP - but your personal experiences have helped answer my deepest questions...thank you for sharing your stories & I'm so glad this post is still up. We've had a hard couple of years...with our 11yr old Muffin dying from a blood clot and then his littermate (born in our garage)died 6 months later (on Valentine's Day) from the same thing. Near the end of February we adopted two of the sweetest black kittens, both boys from the same litter - rescue kittens...just one month ago they were neutered and a week ago Strider began to be noticeably lethargic (he has always been the most active) when he started running a fever, and we noticed his belly swelling, we took him to the vet and heard those terrible initials FIP for the first time. Right now he is on steroids, his fever is down and he has perked up a little...but the vet says it is only a matter of days to weeks before he will become very, very ill. Even now his belly has swollen up larger than it was before they drained it.
I am heartbroken and am trying to find the strength to give him the love and care these last days, hoping to at least comfort him. Your posts have helped me see that at a certain point, putting him to sleep will be the kindest thing to do. I worry so much about his brother Brego, as they are so, so close...I don't know how he will stand to lose Strider. But one day at a time.
Kathy

o

Kathy, as with each post here, my eyes filled with tears as I read yours, and my heart goes out to you.

When I read about your little black boy kittens, my thoughts went to two very, very sweet black kittens, also brothers, who were recently adopted from the animal shelter where I volunteer once a week. I keep picturing them as I think about your two sweet babies. How awful, awful is this terrible disease!

I wish I could make this all just go away. My heart breaks thinking about little Brego, who will be losing his brother. I hope Strider will not suffer much, and will be able to enjoy some measure of comfort during his last days with you and with Brego.

My thoughts are with you, and your sweet boys, during this so very difficult time.

cat_mom

o

My beautiful little kitten, Dusty, was diagnosed with FIP this morning. If angels do truly walk the Earth, she is one of them - I have never met a more sweet, gentle soul in my life. My heart is breaking.

o

(((HUGS))) for you purplepansies.

o

Thank you cat_mom.

Sorry for the "post and run" - I guess I just had to get it out somewhere. . . we've been trying to rule it out for several weeks now, but every test has just built up more evidence for FIP with no evidence for anything else. And this morning my vet called with the results of the cytology tests on the fluid from her abdomen. As much as I could hear that it pained him to say it, he told me everything came back indicating FIP. So there it is.

She's only 6 months old! We adopted her and her sister a little over a month ago. Thankfully her sister - Sophie - is strong and healthy and vibrant (a little demon cat, actually!! I say that with love and a smile on my face, she makes me laugh but is into EVERYTHING!! :) Dusty is small, but she is bright, alert, eating - for now - and she just loves to sit with you, be petted and purr and purr and purr!

Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories and heartache. This is a horrible disease, I pray they find a cure/vaccine soon.

o

Me, too. As with everyone, my thoughts are with you......

o

Hi everyone. I am heartbroken while reading everyone's posts. My heart goes out to all of you. I am so very sorry.

I am writing now hoping that some of you may have answers or advice for me. My 1 year old cat Puka has been diagnosed with anemia. We are currently in the process of trying to find out what is causing it. He had symptoms of lethargy, diarrhea, loss of appetite and weight loss 3 months ago. We took him to see the vet immediately and his red blood cell count was down. The vet told us that this was probably caused by some sort of infection. He was prescribed Doxycycline 2x a day. After a week or so, we noticed a huge improvement and he was back to his old self. We re-tested him and his bloodwork came back normal and the vet told us everything was ok. We were so relieved.

Last Friday I noticed Puka having the same symptoms again. He was lethargic, disinterested, losing weight and seemed to have "heavy eyelids" (although this time around he has not lost his appetite or thirst and no diarrhea). So, being the over-obsessed mommy that I am, I took him to the vet for testing. He has come back as anemic again. The vet has started him on the Doxycycline again but I am not going to sit around and wait this out - I want to find out what is wrong so I can treat it. I had the vet run every test under the sun, because I want to get to the bottom of what is causing this anemia in Puka. His test results came back yesterday with elevated globulin protein, elevated bilirubin and a coronavirus titer of 1:400. He is FeLV and FIV negative. We are taking him back in to the vet this Friday, two days from now to have his blood drawn again for more testing to see if there are any improvements.

I just want to know if any of you can help me figure this out. The vet has expressed his concern for FIP as his titer levels were elevated. I suspected bartonella after doing online research as Puka was covered in fleas when we adopted him from a shelter.

I am already expecting the worst and cannot imagine losing my baby after just 12 months with him. He is my world and I love him with all my heart. Please offer me some insight as to what this could be and if I am doing the right thing.

I am so sorry for the long post.
Thank you so much.
Chelsea

o

Chelsea, I will keep my fingers crossed that it is not FIP. I have no medical experience, only my own personal experience with this insidious disease. I volunteer at an animal shelter, and I always fear it's FIP when a kitten or cat exhibits the same symptoms. Not to give false hope in any way, but I can say that much of the time it is not FIP.

As you know from reading this thread, if it is FIP, there is no real treatment or cure, nor is there a reliable vaccine. The best you can do right now, is keep Puka comfortable, continue with the Doxycycline until you know for sure what it is you are dealing with, and as best you can, make sure Puka is eating, and staying hydrated. Hopefully tomorrow's blood draw will yield better results.

Keeping you and Puka in my thoughts.

o

Took Puka in to the vet a few hours ago. Puka has lost a quarter pound more weight. The vet didn't even want to run blood work. She insisted that we take him to an internal medicine specialist. I have an appointment at 1:00 today.
I can only hope for the best. Any advice on questions I should be asking or tests I should ask for would be appreciated.
Thank you cat mom for your response. I appreciate your feedback.
Thanks everyone. *fingers crossed*
Chelsea

o

Hi Chelsea, I don't know what part of the country you're in, but it's after 1:00 here, so don't know if you will get this in time.

You could have them do an ELISA test, but I don't think the results are very reliable (our Mayu tested negative, despite overwhelming evidence, at that point, that she had FIP-- it's quite possible the antibodies were so bound up with the virus, there were none left to attach to the test).

Also, If he does have fluid build-up in his abdomen or chest, you could have them draw some fluid for testing (straw colored fluid, high protein levels, are typical with FIP).

Please let us know what the specialist says. Fingers crossed here, too.

o
Other things to look for

Oh Chelsea, I'm so sorry! I just saw cat_mom's post as I started typing, and was about to say you might want the vet to check for fluid in the abdomen. If it's there, have some removed for testing as cat_mom notes. If it is FIP and the dry form, there may be no fluid, so a check of the organs for granulomas. Vet would do an ultrasound for these. Any fever?

Here's a link with more info so you know what to ask.

http://www.2ndchance.info/fip.htm

I'll keep you and Puka in my prayers.

- Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: FIP Info

o

Heartbreaking news today. Puka had an ultrasound at the internal medicine specialist today. There are signs of lymphoma cancer as well as fluid in his abdomen. His blood work had not improved either, in fact his billirubin (sp?) was more elevated than last time. There was not enough fluid for testing but they did take biopsies of his lymph nodes. Results won't get back til Tuesday. Doctor highly suspects lymphoma and/or FIP.
The doctor said to continue his doxycycline and we are starting him on prednisone. I am also going to look into holistic options for him.
I am completely heartbroken. Puka means the world to my husband and I. I feel frustrated that not one test can definitively tell me what's wrong and we are stuck playing a guessing game. I just want this to all go away and see my baby happy and healthy.
Thank you for your kind words. Am I doing the right thing? I feel so spent after 8 hours of veterinary hospitals today.
Chelsea :(

o

I'm so sorry Chelsea! Not that I like to give false hope, and although it is not true in my case, there is another illness that can mimic FIP and some of the things you are describing. You should at least have your vet look into it and rule it out. Here are clips from a few web sites:

The effusive form of FIP is the easiest to diagnose, but only about 50% of cats that present with effusions will have FIP. The most common diseases that produce effusions similar to FIP include lymphocytic cholangitis and malignancies. Therefore, it is important to confirm the diagnosis by examination of the effusion. The effusion found in FIP is a non-septic exudate with the following characteristics:
Straw to golden yellow color, viscous, clear to slightly cloudy, frothy when shaken
High specific gravity (1.017-1.047)
High protein (typically >3.5 g/dl, often 5-12 g/dl)
Low to moderate cellularity (<5000 cells/μl)
Three valuable tests on effusions that can be used to confirm the diagnosis of FIP are: positive immunofluorescent staining for coronavirus antigen within macrophages, positive Rivalta's test, and a detectable coronavirus antibody titer. (my note - I don't really believe this can "confirm" FIP, but I think it would tell you that it quite probably is FIP)

Diagnosis of lymphocytic cholangitis:
Serum biochemistry often reveals mild to moderately increased liver enzymes ( her ALT is mildly elevated), increased bile acids, hyperbilirubinaemia, hyperglobulinaemia, and hypoalbuminaemia.
Haematology may reveal mild anaemia (low red blood cels), lymphopenia (low lymphocytes) or lymphocytosis (elevated lymphocytes), monocytosis (elevated monocytes), and/or thrombocytopenia (low platelets). Blood clotting times are frequently prolonged.
Ascitic fluid, if present, is typically high in protein.
**Ultrasound examination may show blotchy hepatic hyperechogenicity, biliary tree distension and irregularity, �sludging� of bile, a thickened gall bladder wall (which is most typically associated with the presence of a secondary infection), and/or evidence of common bile duct obstruction. Associated findings may include enlarged mesenteric lymph nodes, pancreatic irregularity, and/or thickening of the duodenal walls.

Cats of any age may be affected, but disease is seen most typically in young to middle aged cats. Persian cats may have an increased risk.
Clinical signs are usually very chronic and insidious in nature.
Affected cats are typically jaundiced, but appear to be clinically well, and are often polyphagic. Weight loss and anorexia can also be seen, as can vomiting and/or diarrhoea.
Cats may have a palpably enlarged liver, and mild generalized lymphadenopathy may also be present.
Cats may show intermittent signs of systemic illness, with fever, anorexia, weight loss, and vomiting. Systemic signs are sometimes associated with secondary infections, typically of the liver and/or pancreas.
The disease may progress to causing chronic biliary cirrhosis with ascites, hepatic encephalopathy, and bleeding tendencies.
May be associated with triaditis (concurrent IBD and pancreatitis)
Ascites may be present -- in acute cases due to a hepatic exudates (which can make this condition difficult to differentiate from wet FIP), and in chronic cases from portal hypertension resulting from periportal fibrosis and cirrhosis)
Mixed forms also exist
It is difficult to different whether these two groups are two different diseases or two ends of a spectrum.

o

Oh Chelsea, I am sorry the news wasn't better. I know exactly how you feel, with the lack of definitive answers and tests. I've mentioned it here before; the only way to conclusively Dx FIP is through a necropsy (biopsy of the liver/organs post mortem). Anything else is anecdotal from my understanding.

It doesn't sound good for your little boy, but I will continue to hope that this turns out to be something other than FIP, something that can be treated/cured.

I totally feel your heartbreak. We had our Mayu for all of three months, during which time she completely and thoroughly burrowed into our hearts. 9 years later, I still find this time of year (mid-Sept to late Dec), the time when we had her, to be bittersweet, and memory-filled of a sweet little life cut way too short.

We are all waiting with you for Tuesday's results, and send our prayers along with yours.

o

Purple pansies!!! I know I may be grasping for straws here but the lymphocytic cholangitis is something not ONE vet has mentioned to us!! We have been comparing his bloodwork numbers and they look comparative to how the cholangitis is diagnosed. Can this be treated? The websites I am looking at seem to say that medications can be prescribed.
I know this might not be it - but thank you thank you for pointing out something else to us. I just so badly want to do everything I can to help him.
Thank you cat mom and thank you purple pansies for your support and help. This means so much to me right now.
Chelsea

o
Hope

Sometimes you need to hold onto whatever hope you can. It may not be the answer - but it may be. I hope so! I still hold out hope for my little girl, who, despite what 2 very good vets say is an FIP diagnosis, is still doing extremely well. Eating, playing, alert, loving - I don't know, maybe it hasn't really hit her yet. I just don't understand, everyone says she should be very sick by now. . . so I, too, hold out hope. We've got her on prednisone. We'll see. She's a fighter!

Here's a picture of my angel.
Photobucket

o

You are a sweetheart! And Dusty is such a cutie. I will keep the both of you in my thoughts and prayers as well. Thank you for keeping in touch - I truly appreciate it.
Puka is sleeping now. He is still eating and drinking. Just looks very lethargic and has a hard time opening his eyes. I can only hope that the prednisone kicks in soon and he can improve slightly.
Thank you again. <3
Chelsea

o

So.. Puka's biopsy came back negative for lymphoma. I wanted to jump up and down when the doctor told me this news, but my excitement was cut short when he told me that since ruling out lymphoma he now only suspects FIP. I asked him if there is any possibility that this could be something else, and he told me that there is a slim chance it could still be an imflammatory immune disease.

The vet said the next step he would reccommend is "exploratory surgery" on Puka's organs to take biopsies for more testing to determine or rule out anything else but he's not sure how Puka would recover from this. My husband and I had a long talk about it and considering Puka's condition - we don't think he could survive for a recovery from this type of surgery. The vet also told us that he could prescribe Puka a chemotherapy/anti-inflammatory type drug to help destroy any other type of infection/viruses, but says that the side effects are very risky. I had to squeeze these additional options out of the doctor because he feels fairly certain that we are dealing with FIP.

It has been 2 days since hearing this news. We have continued giving Puka his doxycycline as well as prednisolone. He seems to be improving only slightly. He is still eating and drinking here and there, going to the bathroom normally and is opening his eyes much wider. But his energy level is still weak. He doesn't stand or even sit for long periods of time. I feel like he is fighting very hard and does not want to give up.

This has been one long nightmare and wish I could just wake up. I feel very numb by all of this now. I just want to save him. My plan now is to get a "3rd" opinion from a local vet based upon Puka's blood work, ultrasound and biopsy. We'll continue his meds and possibly look into some hollistic options for him. I just want to keep him as happy and comfortable as I can, since no one can seem to give me a definitive answer.

Thanks again,
Chelsea

o

I'm so sorry, Chelsea. I agree that the surgery option is not in Puka's best interest. The hardest thing with FIP is that there is no definitive diagnosis while the cat is alive.

I know letting go is hard, Chelsea. I'm like you - they're a part of my family. I still cry when I think about losing my Cinnamon and Cleo, and I worry about Jasmine. She's 19, and although doing very well, I'm scared of what I will have to face in the coming years. And then there's my little Dusty - just a baby. I look at her and wonder how much time we will have with her. I pray that I have the strength to make the right decision when the time comes.

Cherish your time with Puka and make him as comfortable as you can. How lucky he is to have you!

I promise to keep you both in my prayers.

o

Chelsea, I am so sorry the news wasn't better. As purplepansies said, and as I, and others have said as well, there are no definitive answers with FIP while the kitten or cat is still living unfortunately, there is pretty much only anecdotal evidence. A reasonable Dx can be made based on this "symptomatic evidence" but a 100% absolute just isn't possible.

Continue to keep Puka comfortable, keep him hydrated and try to keep him eating ("smelly" foods might tempt him to eat more).

Wishing you strength.....

o

Hello all,

I wrote back in January of my cat Mischa's FIP diagnosis. I know some of you wanted some good news in such a flood of sad news - I wanted to let you all know that it's been almost nine months since M's diagnosis, and she has been, since february or so, completely fine. she has had no treatment. she seems to be totally normal, has had no relapse into her initial sickness (lethargy, not eating, not going to bathroom etc. for which she was only given an antibiotic.) i am happy of course, (honestly, i didn't know if i would recover if she passed as i've experienced much loss in the past few years) but i can't help feeling a bit guilty that things (beyond all hope or luck) turned out well for us, when everyone else on here has ended their stories with absolute heart break. all i can say is that i am very sorry to hear of the new members since i last wrote, whose cats have fallen ill. i wish the best for all, and know that misdiagnosis can happen, as it clearly did with mischa. i hope that mischa's case can be a source of hope to you.

Becca L.

o

Thank you cat mom and purple pansies. Your support and words of kindness have helped tremendously. And Becca, your story has brought me joy. Do not feel guilty in any way - please give little Mischa hugs and kisses everyday. She is lucky to have you. :)
I do not think Puka is getting better. He barely eats without me helping him and I can tell just walking is a struggle. I have never had to decide when to let a loved one go. It makes me sick to my stomach. How do you know when it's time? :(
I feel hopeless watching him fade away. I love him with all my heart. :(
-Chelsea

o

I don't know what to say, Chelsea. My heart breaks for you and Puka. It is the hardest, most horrible decision to make. When?. . . I remember last asking that question 3 years ago, sitting on the floor of my basement, crying, and petting my Cleo. My beautiful girl, who a week before started to have trouble walking. Over the course of the week it got worse, she could barely move and couldn't get to the shallow litter pan I made for her. As I cleaned the urine off of her again - I'd find her lying in it - I realized that this was no way for a cat to live. My beautiful Cleo - I remember looking into her eyes, knowing that I couldn't let her go, but knowing that I had to.

I know how much you love Puka. You will do the right thing. When you are both ready.

Lisa

o

Oh Chelsea, I wish I had an answer for you. When the Dr at the Animal Medical Center in NYC confirmed our worst fears, we knew we couldn't bear watching Mayu suffer and get sicker and weaker, especially knowing that the prognosis wasn't a good one. We brought her home and then took her to our local vet. It was one of the toughest things to so, but we knew we had to do it then.

We are here for you if you. Feel free to email if you need or want to....

o

Puka passed yesterday, October 8th 2012. I lost a part of me yesterday, one I will never get back. I feel truly blessed to have been the one chosen to share Puka's short but incredible life with. He was my best friend, my soul mate, my angel. I will miss him everyday and will send kisses up to heaven for him until we are together again. Thank you all for your support and kind words. I didn't know where to turn when Puka was diagnosed. I found comfort here, thank you.
It will be a long road ahead of me to walk without Puka by my side. Gone from my life but never absent from my heart. Until we meet again, Puka Bare. <3
-Chelsea

o

i'm so very sorry chelsea. i pray that you find the strength to keep going without him. take care of yourself,

Becca

o

I am so very sorry, Chelsea. I'll be thinking about you.

Lisa

o

Dear Chelsea,

I am so sorry you had to join our "club" but I am grateful you found us when you needed us. As you surely know, many thoughts of comfort are going out to you.

There will never be another Puka, just as there will never be another one like the ones we have all lost. In time, if you find you are able, you might share your life with another sweet, furry soul. If not, that's okay, too. Your Puka will ever live on in your heart and your memories.

Rest in Peace little Puka.

(((HUGS)))

cat_mom

o

Things can change so quickly. . . early this morning, our beautiful little kitten, Dusty, died peacefully at home while we were holding her. Although we had her such a short time, we were blessed to be the ones chosen to care for her. RIP, my little Dusty. I'm so, so sorry we couldn't do more.

o

Lisa,
I am so so sorry. You were lucky to have had one another. You were a wonderful mommy to little Dusty. I know this time, and for awhile, will be difficult. Keep Dusty in your heart. My thoughts are with you.
Luv,
Chelsea

o

Lisa,

I am so sorry you have become a member of this "club." *sigh*

I HATE FIP.

You and your Dusty will be in my thoughts.....

(((HUGS)))

cat_mom

o

Are people still posting on this thread?

I'm messaging from the UK. My little rag doll kitten Gin, has just been diagnosed with FIP :-( He is 5 and 1/2 months old and adorable (we hold hands/paws, he fetches things for me and sleeps nose to nose with me).

I've only had him 2 months from a pedigree breeder who says she's never had a issues before and still has his sister who is going well.
He is eating, not drinking a lot, poo-ing normally and still purrs when we have cuddles... But he's quiet and sits in the sphinx position a lot - does this indicate pain? He's not done this a lot before. It all started with a cloudy eye which cleared up with drops quite quickly.

He's on antibiotics, which we started today. It's hoped, I guess that he'll improve for a while. Ultrasound/X-ray next week to see if its hit his organs yet, but no fluid in abdomen... Yet.

Any advice?

I'm devastated :-( I got him to help get over my last cat who died earlier this year at 18 years old from renal failure. That really hurt, but this seems to be worse as I've only had him 2 months and he's so cute and loving..

I found this thread really supportive as well as upsetting with what a lot of you have been through. I love my friends, and they are being great...but I'm not sure they really understand how I'm feeling..

Kerry

o

Kerry,

There are two forms of FIP; wet and dry. It's possible your little Gin has the dry form, if there is no fluid in his abdomen. How did the vet arrive at FIP as the diagnosis? Did they check his protein levels, or ???

Not to give false hope, but years before our Mayu was diagnosed with FIP, my first cat Misha was diagnosed with it as a kitten, when she also had cloudy eyes (it started in one eye, then moved into her other eye as the first one started clearing, and then cleared up in both). She lived to be 16. Our current vet told us that what she had had could not have been FIP (given her recovery from the eye issue, and her lifespan).

Is Gin running a temp? Is he responding to the antibiotics? Some FIP "hallmarks are intermittent fevers/temps that don't respond to antibiotics, lethargy, and loss of appetite, among others, but those are fairly common from what I had read at the time. Also, low weight/not growing is also common. Our Mayu was a tiny thing, and was much smaller than a normal 5 month old kitten when she passed.

If it is FIP for sure, you have my utmost sympathy. I can't believe there is still no cure, nor prevention for this.

Please know that you are not alone, and that we here do know what you are going through, and will support you as best we can throughout this difficult time.

cat_mom

o

I'm here, too, Kerry. I am so sorry about Gin's diagnosis! From reading, you know there is no definitive way to diagnose FIP, it's a constellation of things that indicate FIP. It may not affect all kittens in a litter - for me, I have Dusty's sister, who is perfectly fine right now, thriving and hard to keep up with! No indication at all that she has FIP. Their brothers are suspected to have FIP due to a bunch of strange lab results and other things, but so far are doing well. They may have the dry form that cat_mom noted. Cats live longer with the dry form.

And the rescue group I adopted my girls from has never had this happen, either. They were as devastated as I when I told them about Dusty.

I don't know what to say except treasure every moment you have with Gin. I miss my little Dusty terribly, but at least she was with me, happy and loved, for her short life.

I'll keep you and Gin in my prayers.

Lisa

o

I just lost my precious baby boy, Romeow, to FIP this morning. I had only had him for two weeks and he was only "normal" for about two days. Then the loss of appetite started, weight loss, lethargy. We took him to the vet (twice) where they gave us meds for hookworms and antibiotics for fever but he just became more and more lethargic and sad. I had to feed him with a syringe and give him the high-vitamin cat gel. Anyway, he just seemed worse and worse so I took him to the emergency vet this morning and his little tummy was so swollen, his third eyelids had been showing for the last few days and his gums were white. They drew fluid from his abdomen and they said it was likely that he had FIP. I had him put down because I didn't want him to suffer.
I've been crying non-stop since then, and I also have five kids who are heart-broken.
I AM SO ANGRY AT THE BREEDER. She eluded that something could be wrong with him (AFTER WE PURCHASED HIM). She wanted us to put him to sleep without even trying to figure out what was going on with him! I'm so sad I can't even think straight right now. Even in two short weeks he was such a wonderful little guy. I miss him so much.

o

I just lost my precious baby boy, Romeow, to FIP this morning. I had only had him for two weeks and he was only "normal" for about two days. Then the loss of appetite started, weight loss, lethargy. We took him to the vet (twice) where they gave us meds for hookworms and antibiotics for fever but he just became more and more lethargic and sad. I had to feed him with a syringe and give him the high-vitamin cat gel. Anyway, he just seemed worse and worse so I took him to the emergency vet this morning and his little tummy was so swollen, his third eyelids had been showing for the last few days and his gums were white. They drew fluid from his abdomen and they said it was likely that he had FIP. I had him put down because I didn't want him to suffer.
I've been crying non-stop since then, and I also have five kids who are heart-broken.
I AM SO ANGRY AT THE BREEDER. She eluded that something could be wrong with him (AFTER WE PURCHASED HIM). She wanted us to put him to sleep without even trying to figure out what was going on with him! I'm so sad I can't even think straight right now. Even in two short weeks he was such a wonderful little guy. I miss him so much.

o

lainylainy, my sincere condolences to you and your kids. It doesn't take long at all for these little sweet beings to crawl right into our hearts. Breed-specific or DSH/DLH doesn't matter. As has been said before, if a kitten (or older cat) is predisposed (by his or her individual genetic make-up) to develop FIP after exposure to the Coronavirus, then there unfortunately is nothing you or the breeder could have done to prevent this. There are NO reliable tests before or during for FIP. 1) the virus is constantly mutating and 2) there is no way to predict which kittens will develop FIP after exposure and which ones will not.

Of course, this does not change, nor does it mitigate your situation in any way, shape or form. If the breeder knew the kitten was ill, or not thriving, then yes, she should have given you the opportunity to decline bringing him into your home and your lives beforehand.

I wish you and your family peace during this difficult time.

o

Kerry,
I am so so very sorry to hear about little Gin. Not to upset you, but his story sounds similar to my Puka's when he first got sick. Puka did hold on after antibiotics for another 3 months or so. He got a LOT better in fact during those few months. He was such a little cutie. :")
My advice to you is to hold out hope. As long as he is eating, drinking, maintaining weight and doesn't seem to be in pain; keep giving him as much love as possible and as many second opinions from doctors as well!
I know nothing we can say will make you feel better, but we are here if you need to vent. I COMPLETELY understand how you are feeling. I miss my Puka every single day. But, I was incredibly lucky to have known him. He has impacted and changed my life forever. I am sure you feel the exact same way about Gin.
Again, I am so sorry. Hang in there. <3
-Chelsea

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here