Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

Fatty Liver Disease in cats

newhomeseeker
14 years ago

Does anyone know anything about Fatty Liver disease? I had posted about this young cat at the shelter I volunteer at that rapidly lost weight (he had a little bit of a cold and I think that is why he stopped eating the dry kibble they feed them there) and was euthanized. now there is another (almost identical looking) cat that has the same symptoms. I did some quick research and the symptoms sound like that of fatty liver disease. I found out the 2nd cat is not doing well. They have her on iv fluids and are trying to stimulate her appetite. It says Fatty Liver disease can be treated if caught early but is always fatal if too advanced. The liver shuts down (which sounds like what happend with the young cat who died). the treatment is tube feeding or force feeding the cat until the damage is reversed.

My interpretation is that these two cats stopped eating and no one noticed until they had lost a lot of weight (for a cat that only weighs about 9 lbs a lot of weight is just a few pounds) also both of these cats had longer hair so it is harder to notice them losing weight (medium haired). Both were rather shy and kept to themselves and were never very active. (the boy I wanted to adopt liked to climb up on things and sleep but was never playful or anything. He just liked to cuddle) The female could have stopped eating from depression (her owner passed away) or just didn't like the food, the other cats etc. I have no idea. Does this sound like a possibility?

Comments (5)

• laurief_gw
    14 years ago

Yes, it's a possibility. But frankly, what does it matter if nobody's going to put the time or energy into getting food into her? Even if she doesn't have HL, starvation is going to kill her one way or another.

Laurie

• rivkadr
    14 years ago

One of my cats had fatty liver disease a few years back. From what the vet said, there's usually an underlying cause for the cat to stop eating (i.e. some other health issue), and then when they stop eating and lose a lot of weight, you run the risk of getting fatty liver disease. We never discovered what caused our cat to stop eating, but a few months of care brought her out of it -- it required putting a feeding tube in her neck, and feeding her through it 4 times a day, as well as various medications. It was not easy, but with a lot of love, we pulled her through it.

The two symptoms (besides the weight loss) that were really obvious with my cat were that she was vomiting bile, and her skin was really jaundiced (really noticeable in her ears). Does the cat in question have those symptoms?

Have to agree with laurie, though -- if she does have fatty liver disease, it seems unlikely that the cat will pull through it. It takes a lot of effort to pull a cat through it, and it doesn't sound like the shelter you're dealing with is equipped to do that.

• newhomeseeker
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This cat does not have those two symptoms (at least not that I know of) but the 9 mth old that was euthanized did have jaundiced skin (and if I knew what he'd had at the time and that he could have been saved, I would have sneaked out of the shelter with him and took him how and cared for him. )

• tournant
    14 years ago

I had the exact same experience as rivkadr with my Boris. I know what started it - I was trying to transition him to a better quality wet food from the meat flavored cereal he'd been eating his whole life. He turned up his nose but I figured when he got hungry enough he'd eat. Wrong answer. I did not realize how much weight he'd lost until I found him limp and almost unresponsive on my closet floor. I was shocked when I picked him up, he was a bag of bones. I missed this mostly because he never was a cuddly cat, very aloof, and I just never handled him much. He was so jaundiced it looked like someone had colored the skin around the inside of his ears with a yellow highlighter. We got a feeding tube inserted into his neck and I had to syringe feed him pureed food and meds 4-5 times a day, at first he would projectile vomit the few cc's I could get into him right back up. Not fun. I also had to give him sub-Q fluids twice a day. He was so weak the first few weeks he couldn't stand and needless to say needed a lot of bathing. I remember crying my head off the first time I saw him eat again on his own. He is once again fat and happy, eating his meat flavored cereal - and has turned into a real lover boy. He's curled up next to me as I write this. Fatty liver is really hard and expensive to get through but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

• Meghane
    14 years ago

She may not have hepatic lipidosis yet, but she's a high risk for it. The longer she doesn't eat, the higher the risk. IV fluids will not prevent the cat from going into HL; she needs FOOD. The vet should be able to place an esophageal feeding tube very easily, it's a very easy and fast surgical procedure requiring only 1 suture to hold the tube in place. Once the cat is sedated or anesthetized, placing the tube shouldn't take more than 5 minutes. Or the vet should order syringe-feeding for the cat, making sure to specify the daily metabolic requirements so she gets all the nutrition she needs. Giving her a couple os syringe-fulls of food twice a day isn't going to cut it; she probably needs 1.25-1.5 cans a day of a high fat food like a/d unless she is a tiny cat. If the shelter can't commit to getting the cat fed, then they should euthanize her now rather than let her suffer through starvation or HL.