Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dachshund1_gw

Possible Bloat

dachshund1
14 years ago

Hello, first post.

I have a 2 and a half year old dachshund and its chest is bloated. Dachshunds can get bloat so I'm worried. She has not vomited or tried to. She doesn't yelp in pain nor is she panting, although last night she yelped once and seemed scared for a few minutes, that's when I noticed the bloat. This was 6PM last night and it is now 10:00AM. She walks and runs at times but she is not herself. She has pooped twice today already.

Comments (12)

• dachshund1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I forgot to add that I'm unable at the moment to take her to the emergency clinic. It's to far and the local clinics are closed.

• schoolhouse_gw
    14 years ago

How is your dog?Your local vet clinic(s) should have an emergency number to reach a vet on call. I would hope they would give you an opinion or some suggestions.

• dachshund1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

She barks (not at everything like usual), walks around, sometimes runs. But she was outside and a few dogs passed by and got her riled up and this seemed to have taken all of her energy so now she's lying down. I have heard that Gas X works with gas. Will this help?

• calliope
    14 years ago

Our local vets have answering services and will call back in cases of emergency. You already mentioned bloat, so you are aware of torsion twisting of the stomach. If that occurs it's an emergency. As to the mylanta or Gax-X there is talk of it online and I enclosed a link. It's your call.....I'd be concerned and I'm sorry you are stuck in this situation. I'd at least try to get ahold of a local vet by phone, if they won't come in they may be able to tell you if you need to get the dog elsewhere immediately.

Here is a link that might be useful: stomach twist

• dachshund1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info. My experience with local vets is they tell me to go to the emergency animal clinic, which just moved locations further away from my city. I did call a couple and that's what happened. I could not get in touch with an actual vet so I'll be trying some more.

Reading about bloat, I've read that it can kill within minutes. How long can a dog live with bloat?

• dachshund1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Is it Okay if she eats and drinks? Because she is eating.

• Meghane
    14 years ago

What do you mean by her chest looks bloated?

GDV causes the abdomen to bloat, not the chest.

• dachshund1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The abdomen is near the rib cage right?

• mazer415
    14 years ago

Doxies have a curvy chest. For saftey sake take your dog in right away to have it checked out, and ask the vet for more information on determining if your dog has bloat or not. To prevent bloat, give small meals spread out over longer periods of time and NO letting your dog run around after eating. Hope your dog is okay

• dachshund1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Took her to the vet today. The vet took an X-ray and the problem was her spine. He gave her a shot and some pain pills and she has improved so far.

• calliope
    14 years ago

Well, that's a hard thing for a little doxie, but I'm very relieved it wasn't something immediately life threatening. Thanks for coming back and letting us know how she fared. I was concerned.

• Meghane
    14 years ago

Hope she continues to improve. Glad she wasn't bloated.