Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alysun_gw

Giving your cat Metronidazole, a technique

AlySun
11 years ago

Cats hate the taste of Metronidazole. No, they REALLY hate the taste of metronidazole. If you are unfortunate enough to have to dose your pet with this loathsome substance, you likely have already discovered that after the first dose given to your sweet and unsuspecting little kitty, the second and following doses go much, much worse.

My little angel, Smith, has had to have several courses as he has spent the last four years struggling with some intestinal ailment(s). His reactions have ranged from a) digging a claw out of the cat burrito and inserting it firming into the hand with the syringe or pill and pulling firmly. b) sinking his teeth into the hand with the syringe or pill c) holding the pill in his mouth while drooling furiously for as long as I cared to hold him, at which case he would eject any remaining undissolved portion. d) Running furiously from me and cowering under things yowling at the top of his lungs when he heard the pill bottle............. you get the idea.

He was the absolute worst to dose, and I literally thought one of us might not survive the course of medicine. And not because of his ailment.

So, eventually, common sense sunk in. I had a hard time taking pills as a child. I had difficulty swallowing them and they would stick in my throat. My mother used to use applesauce to help with this. Cats, of course, do not like apple sauce, and MY cats wouldnt eat a pill pocket if they were starving. (Been there, tried that.)

So, I developed the Smith technique, and I hope it helps some poor soul who finds themselves in the unfortunate position of having to dose a pet with Metronidazole.

First, if your Vet has given you liquid, and your cat is just drooling it all over the place, or ejecting it, go back and get pills.

While you are out, get a couple jars of meat baby food. The mushy kind, and NOT the kind with veggies added. Just plain mushed meat, chicken, beef, whatever.

Using a syringe, (NOT one with a needle attached, just the syringe itself) draw up some of the baby food into the syringe. If you have multiple pills, you may need more than one loaded syringe so you can move quickly.

With the cat between your legs, back end of the cat towards your crotch, head facing outward, insert the syringe into the side of the cats mouth just behind the fang, and squirt a little of the baby food in.

Then set the syringe down, grab up the pill, and quickly open the cats mouth and place the pill as far back as it will go, (within reason of course, don't choke the poor thing) then hold kitty's head up and mouth closed.

Quickly, speed is essential, grab the syringe and once again insert it behind the fang and squirt in at a reasonable pace the remainder of the baby food.

By priming your cats mouth with something unexpectedly tasty, you will surprise it, and, more importantly, coat the inside of its mouth with something tasty. That way, when you insert the pill, its taste buds are shielded a bit from the vile and hated medicine.

The second dose of baby food helps them swallow the pill and then chases the nasty taste away.

Good luck! I know there are other techniques, using water as a chaser, or having the medicine compounded with something better tasting, but this is very easy, very accessible, and it hides the taste of the medicine much better than a water chaser.

Comments (48)

• christine1950
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I had no idea that it came in pill form, I could kill my vet for that. I adopted a cat from the shelter 3 wks ago tomorrow and this poor little thing is a mess but she's getting better. She will be on L-Lysine forever and I crush that pill and put it into the mush like you advised I found that to be the easiest way. I will have to have her poo tested again for Giardia since I'm not sure I got enough of the Metronidazole in her and not all over me, if she has to take that again I will demand the pill. She also has FHV and lost sight in her right eye, she is loved now and being taken care of. I think you have posted some great advice... Thank you Christine & Kit

• Nora Midkiff
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I had friend take my cat to the vet for me for Diarrhea and they gave me liquid metronidazole and mix ot with food which normally doesnt eat and he wont touch it any ideas

• SaltiDawg
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Always use Metro in pill form for the critters. I've had some mean cats, but never had any problem giving pills. Secure cat, hold firmly sides of jaw, open mouth, put pill in pouch on either side of jaw. Breath into cat's nostril.

Do not put your fingers between his upper and lower teeth under any circumstances!

• clacla117
    6 years ago

I have just started giving this to my girl. The vet put the pill potions (1/4 pill) into tiny gel caps. They do get sticky with the mouth’s moisture which can make it tough to get down but you can coat them with hair ball gel or even Vaseline. I always follow any pill I give her with a squirt of water from a syringe or tiny cake decorating bottle to be sure it doesn’t get stuck in her throat. Not easy or pleasant for either of us but so far, effective. Good luck.

• fourpawsonetail
    6 years ago

Try grinding the pill. Then mix it with a small bit of canned tuna.

• annztoo
    6 years ago

There is one thing that will make a difference, for dog or cat, when giving them meds. Hold the jaw gently and don't force it into a totally closed position, ie, leave a little room for movement. If you hold the mouth completely closed it's difficult for a pet to swallow anything when the tongue can't be used for swallowing. Plus, it's more likely the pill will stick to the tongue.

As a test: put something on your tongue and then clench your teeth......how easy was it for you to swallow the food or pill?

• A MacMahon
    6 years ago

My cat has really been prescribed metronidazole - my vet recommended using Easy Pill for cats. It’s a type of putty that you can coat the tablet in and the cat should eat it no problem. It works for my cat! https://www.viovet.co.uk/EasyPill-for-Dogs-Cats/c21744/?quick_find=157937&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5snjqZvC2gIVz8qyCh0qtQOIEAQYASABEgKe8vD_BwE

• Tricia Smith
    4 years ago

While your intentions and method is great; feeding baby food to any animal is dangerous. The meat or veggie options contain garlic. Even if you can't smell it; I promise it's there. Garlic can be deadly and cause even worse tummy upset in our furbabies. I hope, in the future this helps others dealing with the same issue.

• cat_mom
    4 years ago

As far as I know, the first level chicken, turkey, ham.... Gerber baby foods only contain meat. No veggies, no onions, no garlic.

• Rho Lee
    4 years ago

So faced with the same situation I went to a compounding pharmacy, or others might have. I got some small gelatin caps from them. Used a pill crusher to crush a quarter section of a 250 mg tablet which, according to the Metro product monograph will provide the base dose of 15mg/kg body weight for an 8 - 9 lb cat. Did this on a small folded/creased section of parchment paper. Then used the folded/crease paper to create a trough to carefully pour the powder into the gel cap. Closed it and now will coat in butter or some food to put in her mouth. Will follow with a water squirt.

• SaltiDawg
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have used it off and on with dogs for years! Never saw evidence of any side effects nor issues of any kind. Will continue to use it when my Vet Prescribes it.

I am very sad about your cat's death! He was given the medication for an underlying cause - diarrhea and vomiting, Four days later your beloved Taz passed. Was Taz's death due to the underlying condition, or due to a side effect of the antibiotic?

• Jane Sims
    4 years ago

I wrap the tablet in pate or paste and they eat it with no problem.

• mdfarm8979 .
    4 years ago

Butter is your friend when giving nasty stuff. Let kitty lick a little dab first, this coats their tongue with the butter fats and makes it less likely they will taste the pill going by. Have a second dab ready after the pill and put it on their lips. They lick and swallow numerous times to get all that yummy butter.

Before someone gets their panties in a bunch about giving them butter, I am talking petite pea size dab here.

• Vivien23- Zone 6B
    4 years ago

I'm giving it to my kitty in liquid form - with a syringe. Yes - he hates it. And not every drop goes into his mouth. But he cleans himself so I figure he'll get most of it. He is a very gentle, sweet boy (I know that I'm very lucky) so I don't get wounded and he forgives me immediately.

[I had to give my other cat pills and eye drops for several months - that was an ordeal because, even though he is also sweet and gentle, he is much feistier. Eventually we had a truce of sorts, but it took a while. And I, too, kneeled on the floor with him between my knees to restrain him]

• Erin Sabrini
    4 years ago

My vet says cats HATE the taste of Metronidazole, so she prescribes it in a transdermal paste which is applied to the inside of the ear once a day, where it is absorbed through the skin. The directions say to alternate ears, and wash the ear before each new application. The paste is prepared at a compounding pharmacy that specializes in pet medicine where I live. I am surprised that no one else has posted that transdermal is the best way to administer the foul-tasting metronidazole.

• larry Rand
    4 years ago

Re transdermal paste—was ur cat getting metronidazole for a GI issue, specifically diarrhea? Because the way metronidazole works for giardia/diarrhea is by being absorbed directly thru the gut, where the parasite is. It would be SOOOO cool if we could use it transdermally for diarrhea! Hope u see this and can reply. Thanks EVERYONE for ur wisdom!!

• Erin Sabrini
    4 years ago

Larry, yes, I give it for diarrhea. It is my understanding that metronidazole is an anti-inflammatory, in addition to going after giardia. My cat also got a subq injection of DepoMedrol a few days before I started the Metronidazole; she is doing much better now. Of course since I used two meds, I don' know for sure which one did the job! BTW I have tried three probiotics and the only one that gave any evidence of helping was Jarrow's Saccharomyces boulardii + MOS.

• vblewer83
    3 years ago

They make a topical of this drug that you put inside the cat’s ear. It eliminates the pill struggle.

• Mandy Halks
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I have a 12 year old cat that I have said since the day we brought her home that if we ever ended up in a situation where it came down to her needing a pill to save her life it would just be time to say goodbye because that would be easier than getting her to actually take a pill. We ended up in that situation yesterday and I decided to try your method. I am in tears of gratitude at how well it worked. Thank you x a million for posting this.

• Erin Sabrini
    3 years ago

I am so happy to hear your cat is still there!!! My cat went off Metronidazole (transdermal) for a while and is back on now; she was better within a few days. Hugs to your cat!

• The Mirror
    3 years ago

This junk is not approved by the FDA for animals ie. Your beloved pet who is counting on you to make good decisions for them based on information you have access to. All they have are there instincts and they seem to know what is good for them, and that is trusting you to be educated.Perhaps the Cats understand this which is one of the reasons they despise metronidazole so much in addition to the taste,(trying to tell us something). If you don't know and are reading this, get a different medication , tell your vet your cat is allergic, anything, don't take the risk. I wasn't educated about this medication listen to the vet said my mind. five days in the neurotoxicity became apparent to me. I immediately stopped administration and started my research, which shows heaps of evidence this is poison for our pets. The neurotoxicity is reversible takes a couple of weeks, but it ain't worth the suffering my cat is enduring. When I called the vet they said that's odd we have NEVER heard of that. I'm no Doctor and it took me 30 seconds of research to find out what the heck was going on with my cat from this poison.

• Hansel de Haro
    3 years ago

Hello all!

just wanted to add a successful method that has worked great for us with our Pelusa to give her metronidazole in liquid.

First we let her have some food. Then we give her water.

Now before giving her metronidazol, we load another syringe with water. Then we give half syringe before, followed quickly by the metronidazol, then followed right away by the remaining half of the syringe of water to rinse and not let the bad taste to hit her more than the minimum.

Of course it tastes bad for her but it’s so quick that she recovers from it quickly.

Hope you all are safe and well as well as your families, including your families of furry ones.

Best,

Betty, Hansel & Pelusa 🐈

• suefourmet
    3 years ago

Try putting the pill in a small glob of Cheez Wiz. My cat gobbles it off my finger so fast she doesn't even know there is anything there besides the cheese.

• mangotangodesigns
    3 years ago

We have it made into a capsule by a compounding pharmacy. I load the capsule into a pill ejector, tilt my cat’s head back until she’s looking at the ceiling, and shoot it past her tongue. Gravity takes over ... no time to taste it.

• Erin Sabrini
    3 years ago

Believe me, the easiest way to give your cat Metronidazole is in the transdermal paste you rub in her ear; just apply 1ml from the syringe onto your fingertip, and apply it to the hairless area of the inside of the cat's ear. Much easier than the pill popper, and much safer too...cats are such wiggly little creatures!

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    3 years ago

This junk is not approved by the FDA for animals

It's approved for humans and still tastes horrid, so tasting bad is not a spectacular indicator. It also disintegrates very quickly. I had it prescribed (to me) when I was like ten, and they told me that most buried it in applesauce or wrapped it in a fruit rollup to get it down. I went with applesauce, and it was still miserable. They offered to have it compounded into a liquid, which was easier to take but a pain to deal with. The compounding center offered a sample of a capsule, which was so easy and tasteless.

So I can't speak to giving it to a cat, but as a kid who was marginal at swallowing pills (now I can swallow most anything, but I struggled then), the capsule was by far the most pleasant ... went down easier and no taste.

• HU-892845183
    3 years ago

@BluberryBundtcake.

Off-label treatment is not uncommon in medicine in general.

It has been used to treat dogs and cats for decades and is the only treatment available to animals who are suffering from gastrointestinal infections/inflammation. Cats and to a lesser extent dogs can develop a Crohn's like disease where their bodies develop an allergic reaction to certain proteins. This reaction occurs as inflammation in the intestines and typically includes bleeding along with diarrhea. Metronidazole combined with a probiotic is the only way to stop the inflammation in order to allow the intestines to heal while a suitable substitute protein can be found. Other than kidney disease a cat with IBS/IBD/gastrointestinal cancer is simply a horrible situation for cats and cat owners.

There is no cure for IBD and there is NO sure way to prevent it. Rotating proteins or using a "species appropriate" protein or "grain-free" foods will NOT prevent a cat from developing IBS/IBD. I am 0-2 in this regard.

3 years ago

I was responding to The Mirror's comment about approval and taste.

I'm fully familiar with off label treatments. My guinea pigs had to treated for guinea pig lice, and they actually got a treatment that was for puppy/kitten fleas (though they split the dose because of their size). The vets are educated in which medications are safe, generally (allergies and sensitivities are always possible).

So sorry to hear about your sagas with digestive issues and cancer in your kitties. Crohns is a terrible disease; there's a lot of research for it, so we can always hope something will turn out a cure, for people and pets. And I don't think I have to even say how awful cancer is; my friend recently lost a kitty to an agressive cancer that started in the mammary glads and metastasized.

• ann vigo
    3 years ago

this comment was just what I needed to read! The baby food worked like a charm. Thank you so much for posting this and saving us a lot of hassle--and making the bitterness go down easier for our 4 furballs!

• Erin Johnston
    3 years ago

I've been struggling with this recently as well. I tried EVERYTHING and was super frustrated. My cat hates to be held down and given anything so I was hesitant to try the method you outline here. Luckily, I FINALLY found a way to get her to just happily eat the pill. I bought empty gelatin capsules (see pic below) and I cut the metronidazole in half and then put both halves inside a single gelatin capsule. Then, I wrapped the capsule in a bacon-flavored pill wrap (see image), dip the whole thing in butter (seriously), and the roll it in a pile of crushed up treats (her favorite kind). I serve her the "treat" alongside either regular treats. After she eats the pill treat, I give her two more regular ones so she associates the pill one with regular treats. This has worked consistently for several days now without any issue after WEEKS of struggle and frustration. I couldn't be more relieved and am so happy I don't have to hold her down and pill her against her will. I hope this helps someone else!

• HU-253618709
    3 years ago

Whenever nasty medicine is required, especially pills. Crushing is the only way to get them into a cat.

honey is a great carrier and can easily be sucked into a syringe.

just mix the crushed medicine with a little honey and place the syringe into the side of the mouth behind the teeth and squirt. Make sure you wipe the outside of the syringe and dip in plain honey so no indication of the medicine is on it.

cats cant taste sweet things so dont react to it.

the medicine sticks to the honey and the honey sticks to the cats tongue so it has to swallow.

some cats foam alarmingly after medicine but honey still sticks.

• Erin Sabrini
    3 years ago

Again, using Metronidazole-- consider going to a pet apothecary to get a transdermal ointment; you apply a drop on the inside of the cat's ear, and you're done. The cat does not get any nasty taste, or esophageal lesions from swallowing a tablet. Please consider this alternative!!!!

• HU-295932173
    3 years ago

I have to say thank you from the bottom of my heart. Blood started appearing suddenly in my cat's vomit and stool. I took her to the vet and they gave her a shot and a prescription of metronidazole. They didn't give me any instructions and basically just said "good luck." I've been bitten, clawed, and meowed at ferociously. I looked up the vet method and I just couldn't pull it off. I feel like I'm abusing my cat every time, and she mostly just spits it out or gags it out, depending on how deep I managed to get it into her mouth/throat. This method is the only thing out there that even addresses the concerns of more difficult cats. You should think about training vets out there, for real!

• Autumn Bicker
    3 years ago

Definitely Butter! I coat the pill in butter (just enough :) ), straddle the poor thing, then tilt my chonk's head back and in the slippery butter-coated pill goes! Usually gets done on the first try and I give him a temptation or two after but he is still an unhappy boy and looks at me like a traitor. :/

• Erin Sabrini
    3 years ago

Metronidazole has a bitter metallic taste that remains after the pill is swallowed; that's why cats hate it. I have been using the transdermal ointment (I rub 1 ml in the non-hairy part of the cat's ear). I get it at the Pet Apothecary; you and your cat will be so happy if you switch from pills to transdermal ointment! (I'm not selling the stuff; I just want everyone who uses Metronidazole to know the best way to give it.)

• HU-431183987
    3 years ago

Why can't the maker of metronidazole better tasting. My cat runs and hides from me so I can't give it to her. I have tried all the suggestion but the see the container and hide.. What other drug would work.

• Erin Sabrini
    3 years ago

My vet said cats won't take Metronidazole, so she contacted a local pet apothecary to formulate a transdermal ointment, which came in a syringe. Once a day I squeezed out 1 ml and rubbed it inside the cat's ear where there is no hair. It works like a charm. Cat does not mind at all and the ointment takes effect by being absorbed thru the skin within an hour. (I was giving Metronidazole for irritable bowel syndrome/diarrhea.) I highly recommend this method as it really is the only humane way to administer this nasty medicine, which reportedly leaves a bitter taste in the cat's mouths for many hours when a pill is given.

3 years ago

It would require a coating or reformulating into a liquid or a capsule. Coatings can cause their very own issues. Reformulation can be done by a compounding center ... been there, done that. I'm sure they exist for animals, as well. The liquid is, I think, basically a suspension of drug in sticky sweet flavored liquid; the capsule was like a gelatin capsule with stuff in it. I don't know if it was actually gelatin, but it was soft, clearish, and got tacky when wet (so one chance at swallowing).

You'd need to consult your veterinarian on what appropriate alternatives would be; they would know best which drugs would treat the issue best with the least potential side effects for your cat.

• HU-860214266
    3 years ago

My kitty was diagnosed with irritable bowel disease and was given Metro with a warning that it tastes awful and causes foaming at the mouth and possible vomiting. So the first time I tried it, I dipped it in chicken broth, not realizing how it would dissolve so easily. When I pushed it down his throat, he went ballistic, and I was clawed pretty good. So after putting more thought into it (and I didn't check this site first), I came up with an idea that has been noted here, but I did it a bit differently. We used to buy bulk herbs to cap them, so we still had some single ought caps left. He only needs a half tablet, so we cut it in half and put it in the cap...no need to crush it first. After closing the cap, I put it down his throat. No side effects at all. Now he's sneezing a lot, so I'm concerned that the medicine might have set this off. I'm calling the vet back to tell her this and to give her my solution using the caps.

• HU-213437797
    2 years ago

Cutting the pill and placing it in an empty #2 gelatin capsule is the way to go! Shmear a bit of canned cat food on the gelcap and it goes down easily. Your vet should have some gelcaps or buy online.

• Roseanne James
    2 years ago

My cat is a rescue cat & has PTSD & I don't think she would even sit between my thighs like that. It's taken TEN years for her to feel safe enough to even sit on my lap! I tried putting the fairly large half a tablet in her mouth but she just screamed, went berserk & clawed me! I've already wasted 3 doses. She's barely eaten for 3 days & would rather starve than take it. I think it would have gone better with liquid although I wouldn't swear to that. I have to give her Metacam & she just about accepts that from a syringe. Trouble is she has bad teeth & I'm just so afraid of hurting her because she even screams sometimes when she's not even eating! I've already paid £380 for some teeth to be removed but within 3 weeks she was screaming again & it seemed like I'd wasted all that money for half a job! A different vet said she needed more teeth out for another £380! I don't have that amount of money, it was only good timing that I had enough money the last time! So I spent £100 to take her to the PDSA (taxi fare) & another £10 for a donation. The vet wanted to see how she got on with the antibiotics before taking more teeth out because her kidneys are so small (I never see her drinking water) but she HAS to have these teeth out regardless of risk because she's in pain & it would be unkind leaving her with with toothache & a possible untreated abscess because I know what that feels like & it's a horrible pain..Never mind the fact that I have to chase her round the room to catch her & that's not easy either! I'm just in despair now & don't know what to do for the best.

• HU-645327548
    last year

We just get it compounded thru a compounding pharmacy into ear cream and she is fine with it. Comes in a preloaded syringe wuth about 10 doses.

• Ana William
    last year

Thank you for the recommendation

• Kat H
    8 months ago

I have a 5 year old recently diagnosed with IBD. His is gastric as he vomits, no diarrhea. We use a compounded MetroN tablet that has no taste. Smear cream
    Cheese over it and down it goes down. We are going to Che k in to the transdermal, seems easier on both parties. Thanks!

I would not suggest broth or bone broth unless it is pure, as most have onion and garlic and those are toxic to cats so can exacerbate the inflammation.

IBD is a lifetime of flare ups and good days. Work in determining the protein allergy and it will be easier on you both. We found a holistic vet that is helping us with diet and we are making all our cats food and administering herbal supplements too. Slippery Elm bark works wonders to calm the inflammation. Try it is you have not and check out Ibdkitties.net for more great information.

• Jane Sims
    8 months ago

Bit of fish paste around it and goes down hatch easily enough. They taste vile I take them and if one does not go down ugh.........

• HU-93931215
    8 months ago

O M G you NAILED IT. It's like you were describing my nightmare as a witness to the assault!! I'm ordering baby meat RIGHT NOW. My cat still has the dried up drool crust stuck to the side of his face and it's been over two hrs. He's just glaring at me. My sweet boy. There's evil in those pills -ha!

Thanks for posting this - the good laugh alone was worth it!

Pray for me (and my hands! I have the iodine ready jic!)

• Judy McGrath
    2 months ago

i have a new rescue cat - 4 yrs old - got two sringes down her...this last time...nope and she ran or should say, tore ass into the other room. She was just starting to setttle into my home, and now I feel like a traitor! The metro liquid is now in her food dish in a sea of tuna and tuna water......lets see if she eats it!!! I have 3 more days for her tummy problem to finish this stuff............