Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Elizabethan collar for cat who licks a sore.

My cat has developed a bad habit of licking a sore on the bottom of one of her hind legs, halfway between pads and ankle. It is not on a walking surface. She licks it til it bleeds. Then I have blood all over the house. If IâÂÂm lucky I catch her doing it, and can block her into the kitchen.

I bought some spray to put on it, called âÂÂBitter YuckâÂÂ, but it does not deter her much anymore. (It deters me, though; some of it always gets on me. It is a fine spray and gets into the air and everywhere while I am restraining her. I think it tastes ghastly. ) This has been going on for like a year. Every now and then she will stop and it will heal, only to have her start it all over again. Nothing special is going on around the house now, so I donâÂÂt think it is stress. I tried taping a bandage on. She chewed it off.

I thought of using one of those Elizabethan collar devices to stop her licking. I have a few questions.

One: how does the cat drink with one on? I can take it off for meals, but there is no particular pattern to when she takes a drink.

Two: Can I buy one at a regular pet supply store, or do I need to see my vet for this?

If anyone has any other suggestions, IâÂÂm listening⦠Thanks!

Comments (2)