Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growth on dog's paw

Posted by gerryc28 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 18, 09 at 12:45

I always check my "Goldie" for ticks and felt a spot on her back leg near the top of her paw. Looks exactly like an engorged tick - similar in size and appearance - but it isn't. Hasn't seemed to grow this week and she doesn't lick it or anything. Thinking back, I think I remember a scab in that area. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growth on dog's paw

Could it be an interstitial cyst?

o

Histiocytoma? These are very common. My dog had one on his butt last year - it fell off within a month.

o

Our 3 1/2 year old labradoodle got a raisin size black cauliflower growth on her ear. We took to our vet and she removed it for $450. it came back a few months later, we left it alone and it just went away on it's own. The vet said it is like warts on humans, and is a virus so nothing can be done?

o

Anything that does not belong on the skin could be nothing, or it could be serious. Ignoring it is not responsible pet ownership.

Since we are sharing stories: years ago, under my vet's supervision, we kept an eye on a little growth on my cat's paw. When it did not go away, the biopsy showed mast cell cancer (rare in cats), which had mastisized , and might have been better dealt with had it been removed the years before, when we first saw it. This killed her in a few years.

So. I am now all for biopsies and removing things.

o

At least have the vet stick a needle in it and read the cytology if it is not obvious what the growth is. Some are obvious, some are not.

o

my great dane girl had a growth between her toes on her left back foot. it was EXACTLY as you describe, it looked just like an engorged tick, almost the size of a marble. had it removed last week and we are waiting for lab test results. my vet said he was 90% sure it was nothing serious but it wasn't supposed to be there and he wanted it removed.

o

Yes, do have a vet check it. Mine told me about the histiocytoma and told me to leave it alone and let her know if it didn't go away by itself.

o

gerryc28, how old is Goldie and what breed is she?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here