Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

Dog urine question

andrelaplume2
10 years ago

Well, we have a year old cockapoo. As a pup, now and then he'd get excited and pee on the hard wood floor...usually when I got home. We wiped it up with no problem. At other times he'd pee on our green carpet when he could not hold it or did not let us know he needed to go out. Sometimes a mark was left behind slightly lighter than the dark green carpet when dry. Thru some combination of concoctions, my wife usually made it all disappear. We thought we were pretty much past this since he is now a year old until....

He just had eye surgery and is on some meds that make him retain water and pee a lot. Much as we try to get him out more often, he still returns top the green carpet and pees.

So, first question, whats the best way to clean this up. Generally we abosrb as much as possible with a towel. Thats where my wife starts with her numerous bottles of stuff. Soemtimes a light stain remains and she goes back to her bottles. Would a bissel type carpet steem cleaner work better here? Whats the best clean up process? Whats are the best tools and chemicals? (He's our first dog so we are learning)

Second, if we ever replace the carpet, Would hard wood be better? What if he pees and sits on the wood for a few hours before we notice. Would it eat the finsish off? Change the color?

Thanks for the advise!

Comments (6)

• socks
    10 years ago

There are products at the pet store to help with the cleanup (Miracle somethingorother). Some products remove the scent which encourages the dog to pee on the carpet. I too have an occasional problem if the dog is left inside too long, and it did happen when he was new to us. After a clean up, I put a stack of white paper towels over the wet and weigh it down with heavy objects (bricks?) for several hours or overnight to get as much moisture out as possible.

However, I think you are completely going in the wrong direction here. (Your dear wife must be getting very tired of this chore.) Much more effort needs to be put into stopping the dog!! You can look online or go to a trainer for ideas. Leash him in the house, take him out every hour, remove liquids after a certain hour, try the Playa Pup belly band for training, and as a very last resort pee pads. Your dog will have a long life, and you don't want to be saddled with these peeing events for the years ahead. It might be inconvenient to deal with it now, but in the long run you won't be sorry.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The dog suffered an eye injury and following surgery he is temporarily on a pill that causes him to drink and retain water. Sometimes he just cant make it or we did not notice him at the door in time. Prior to the meds he was doing good.

Anyone care to comment on the hard wood floor question?

• Artiste8
    10 years ago

Hard wood floor is definitely easier to clean then carpet. Over a long time, I think the urine might wear off the finish on the hard wood. Get cleaning stuff at the pet store that removes the urine odor. We can't smell it, but the dog still can if it's not cleaned properly. With his meds, he can't help it. You said he is tmporarily on the meds. When does he get off the meds? Pee pads would also help

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

off meds soon!

Still, when it comes time to replace carpet, I may be better off replacing the carpet with hw then....btw...do dogs seek out / prefer capret to pee on?

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    10 years ago

He was probably going back to a spot he urinated on before. Nature's Miracle is a good product to get the scent out as well as the stain.

If he is on Prednisone, I know that makes them need to urinate more often. My dog was on it once and the vet did not tell me he would need to get out more often and he urinated in the house - very unlike him.

Even when you dog finishes his course of medicine, you may still have the scent on the carpet. Even if you go with hardwood, and he has an accident, the scent can stay in the wood.

I would think the best way to go would be to keep him in the kitchen, if you can and if it has a washable floor, until you can give him a refresher course on housebreaking.

Good luck with your pup.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

Linoleum or vinyl flooring would be the best as far as controlling urine problems but if you end up going with HW I would either crate the dog or confine him to a room with pee pads when he can't be watched closely.

The urine will soak into the seams of the hardwood and then be absorbed by the wood. Once it's in the wood you will have a difficult time removing it.
    When you replace the carpet, check to see if the pad has a moisture barrier on it. If it does it's unlikely the urine soaked into the subflooring, but if you see stains on the subfloor in the area where he continually goes, then you will have to treat and then seal the subfloor.

Definitely use the enzyme cleaner sold at pet stores to remove stain and odor, but be aware that the enzyme probably won't work in areas where you've used other household products.