Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shih tzu is such a picky eater

Posted by gagesgranny (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 08 at 8:17

Is there a dog food that this shih tzu will eat? All of a sudden, my shih tzu refuses to eat dog food. He likes to eat the cat food of which I watch this very carefully. He has no health issues that I am aware of. He got this way when we rescued this little kitten. What do you feed you shih tzu if he is picky?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shih tzu is such a picky eater

Try Natural Balance, a higher protein dog food, maybe canned and a meat stick and remember not all dogs are food oriented. My Bull Mastiff mix has a horrible time eating, I mix a bit of hamburger in his food and then I have to practically sit over him while he eats...PS Not too much cat food for your pup, it does not have the right nutrients for dogs.

o

Giving in to his pickiness only reinforces it. Pretty soon all he'll want is venison and potatoes, and I don't mean the doggie food version! Keep him away from the cat food somehow, and he'll eventually get hungry enough to eat his own food. Unless of course he really is sick- my Husky Aleksander got really picky before he died of gastric adenocarcinoma.

o

What kind/brand of dogfood are you giving him?

o

Can you put the kitty food up high where the kitty can get it but your dog can't?

I have a Tzu mix that looks/acts like a Tzu and he would eat everything in the world if he could. lol! My main problem is keeping him slim and trim. Every dog is different, eh?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here