Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindyandmocha

Mocha and seizures

cindyandmocha
14 years ago

Sooo... I have a new consulting client in another state and am gone through the week for the past few weeks. Last week, when hubby was picking me up at the airport, he admitted Mocha had a cluster seizure. That freaked me out... and frankly, I felt really guilty for leaving my little 85 lb 9 yr old puppy.

Mocha is now 9 yrs old (still 2 months old in my eyes), and has had seizures since he was 3 years old. He was finally put on meds for it at 3 yrs when he had a cluster (several seizures in one day). He hasn't done that since then, and has maybe one seizure every 3 or 4 months now. He even went one whole year 2 years ago without a seizure -- then of course had one on christmas eve.

Sooo... last Thursday morning he had 4 in a row. I freaked a little, as I am sure did hubby and his dad who lives with us. Mocha has not "clustered" like that for 6 or 7 years.

We live in middle TN and had a line of severe thunderstorms that day -- which is RARE since this is our "harsh winter" for our area. Our vet was awesome and had us do bloodwork that weekend, and pronounced his "levels" are just fine. He went on to say that his wife also has epilepsy, and that severe changes in barometric pressure also affect his wife. Man, I love our vet. He is just so "INVESTED" in his clients. He did not recommend ANY changes in his medications (phenobarbitol and soloxin) based upon his bloodwork. Funny, I took the call in the middle of a meeting with my client. I explained it was IMPORTANT and had to take it. LOL... gawd I am glad I have a pet-tolerant client.

So sufficeth to say, I came home this weekend, and no more seizures. Mocha is just fine. He still has epilepsy and has been dealing with it for years, as have we. We played ball in the back yard, and he played like a puppy. I hate leaving him again this weekend. But I feel secure that if he has a seizure, it won't be the end of the world. He's still a happy and healthy dog -- even as he approaches his old age.

He is a dog living with a disease that sucks, but it's probably harder on us humans than it is the animal.

I hope this gives owners with animals that have seizure related disorders hope and encouragement.

Comments (3)

• mazer415
    14 years ago

Nice story. I like dedicated pet owners and love that you have a vet that understands and can relate to your dogs condition. I too have a disabled dog, have thrown lots of money time and worry into him, love him soooo much and make sure he has a quality life. If that is what we can do for our pets - bottom line, give them a quality life - I think we are doing good. Kudos to you.

• Nancy in Mich
    14 years ago

Yes, Cindy, you have been so encouraging to me as we deal with our Casey's probable brain tumor that we learned about only because he had seizures (on Christmas Eve, too!). I am glad that Mocha shows no signs of deficits after his seizures. Our Casey is still seizure-free, on Phenobarbital, Prednisone and thyroid hormone. After our follow-up visit to the neurologist, he told us to see the regular vet for maintenance. Our vet drastically lowered the Phenobarb dosage and the Pred dosage. We had to increase the Pred again, though, when Casey started attacking the other two dogs. He will stare at them and we have to distract him, but he has not attacked on his current dosage. His legs sometimes quiver when he is standing still. He is, of course, obsessed with food and drink, but we are coping fairly well with that.

Does Mocha listen when you call home on the phone? None of my dogs have ever responded to a voice on the phone. It is hard to move on and do our "human" things when it would be so easy to stay at home with the furry family members! I tell them that I need to make money to buy their kibble.

• cindyandmocha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

nancy, my neice sometimes leaves voice messages on the machine directed at Mocha... lol

He is very attentive to his name -- but he is an aussie --- one of the smartest breeds alive. I don't think he knows the differences in voices, he just knows if he hears his name.

Bear in mind that Mocha has been living with seizures with us for at least 7 years. And he's just fine. I got home last night, and this morning we spent the morning "playing on the bed" with me hiding his tennis ball and him lazily searching for it... lol He had a blast........ and I adore his bright-eyed attention as he tries to get his beloved tennis ball back -- despite the scratches to the backs of my hands and arms......... LOL

I just adore that guy.