Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaspybaby

Any Other Options?! PLEASE. My Dog was Recently Paralyzed

JaspyBaby
11 years ago

I just found out that my little Jaspybaby is permanently paralyzed in his hindlegs due to a spinal cord injury. He's a 2.5 yr old Peekapoo --- and he means the absolute world to me. My parents were pet sitting him for a few days -- he jumped off their bed (nothing out of the ordinary), let out a loud yelp, and couldn't get up. That was it. All it took. Paralyzed. I still can't believe it.

A few months ago, Jaspy had a similar episode where he slipped a disc in his spinal cord and fully recovered in about a week or so. He was just doing his usual "yay! mommy's home from work" routine and it happened while he was jumping. He lost feeling in his legs and couldn't walk or really move but he DID have pain sensation when the vet pinched his back legs. I was hoping and praying that it was the same thing this time.

We took him to the vet my mom takes her dogs to and they pretty much said that he has a zero percent chance of recovery, it's too late for the surgery and that I should just euthanize him. I was SPEECHLESS when the vet told me this. Not only was she so obnoxiously blunt and inconsiderate but she's basically telling me to just give up on the thing I love most.

I'm taking Jasper to the animal hospital in our area tomorrow morning but I just don't know what to expect. And to make matters worse, my financial situation really sucks right now - so it's not like I can afford just anything. But just the thought of putting him down breaks my heart in a million pieces. My parents think I'm being selfish by putting him through all this and that it's not fair for him to live the rest of his life without being able to walk. I'm so torn. I don't know what to do.

Is what the Vet said really the only option? I mean - there HAS to be others. ....right?
Does anyone have any insight or advice for me?
AM I being selfish?
Has anyone else gone through something like this or heard of any dogs fully recovering from hindlimb paralysis??

Comments (15)

• Nancy in Mich
    11 years ago

To me, the big question would be about incontinence. Is your dog going to have control of bowel and bladder? If yes, then you WILL be able to cope with paralysis by using a wheelchair. If he is going to be incontinent, then it will be a bigger challenge. If no one is home with him during the day, you may have to pay a pet sitter to come during the day and clean him up.

• trancegemini_wa
    11 years ago

I second laurie's suggestion of the university vet clinic, this type of injury is really beyond a regular vet to treat. Your pup needs to see a vet that has much more experience in these type of injuries. I wouldn't make a snap decision either way just yet, find out if there are any other options from a specialized vet and take it from there, and take some time to weigh up the pros and cons. Many vets I guess work on the basis that many people simply can't afford expensive treatments or surgery, and realistically that's often the case but these specialized vets are doing more and more surgeries these days that weren't considered possible before so it's always worth investigating all options and getting further opinions.

• Ninapearl
    11 years ago

i second the idea of a university clinic. there, you will have access to very specialized vets and state of the art diagnostics.

my little corgi boy suffered from degenerative myelopathy. i tried a little wheeled cart for him but he would not have anything to do with it. his paralysis was a slow progress and when he got to the point where he was having trouble getting around, i had no other choice than to send him over the bridge.

simon was my heart dog and always will be so it was a heart breaking decision to have to make. i completely understand what you are going through and i'm so sorry. hopefully, a team of vets can give you more hope.

• JaspyBaby
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your replies! I truly appreciate it and it means more to me than you'll ever know that all of you took the time to respond. I'm sorry it took so long to respond but I've just been busy with the lil guy.

I took JaspyBaby for his appointment at the animal hospital for the second opinion. The vet there was much more caring and encouraging and supportive than that first vet. She let me know that he is unfortunately paralyzed in his hindlimbs. But she DID confirm for me that he's not in any type of pain and in no time should be back to his normal self, mentally. She explained to me that it's going to be ALOT of work and time to care for him with conservative management but if I'm willing to do it then there is absolutely no reason why not to.

At this point she put him on a steroid, pain/discomfort medication, and muscle relaxer with strict crate rest for 6-8 weeks to allow the spine to heal before any therapy or carts or what not.

So, I'm going to just take it one day at a time and hope and pray for the best! We can use all the support and encouragement we can get :)

• trancegemini_wa
    10 years ago

Hi jaspybaby, I'm glad you got a second opinion, it's going to be quite a bit of work I'm sure but as long as your pup is happy and has a good quality of life then that's the important thing. Let us know how thing progress, I'm sure it won't be easy but I would do the same for my dogs, we push ourselves to do more than we think we are capable of when it comes to the ones we love.

• bri28
    9 years ago

I'm having the same problem my dog is on pain medication and on crate rest, did your dog recover how old was your dog mine is 1 it's so hard taking care of him but I will continue because I love him but he can't walk and that hurts me but he try's to get up he does have sensation in both arms and legs he just can't walk

• Nancy in Mich
    9 years ago

Thinking of you and your little boy dog, Bri28, sending thoughts of healing your way.

• maya10delmar
    7 years ago

There are so many wheelchairs nowadays on the market for dogs with hindlimb paralysis..you can look online and see for yourself all the videos of dogs who adapt perfectly to their wheels and go everywhere with them (the beach.. on hikes.. dog parks with other dogs). If you're dog isn't in chronic pain, then a wheelchair is your best option. You can find them new for a couple hundred dollars or you can also find them used for at least half. Here's one custom made wheelchair for dogs by Ortocanis and I think they also sell second-hand ones if you contact them.

Whoever your vet is that told you to put your dog down is an irresponsible professional in my opinion.

• PRO
    Elite Interiors & Furniture Gallery
    7 years ago

Check Facebook pages for Dodgers List & K9backpack; excellent sources for back issue information. You can also get a cart so your dog can be mobile. One of the biggest issues can be bladder and/or bowel issues & vet can teach you to express the bladder & what to do for bowel.

• jfrwright
    7 years ago

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Guess dog's are like humans in that one day everything can be fine and the next you never know what can happen. But don't lose hope! Seems like you're optimistic and love your dog enough to be willing to put in the extra work to keep him happy and comfortable. Like others have said, checking out dog wheelchairs once your dog is ready is going to be a life-saving option for both of you. You can look up videos online of paralysed dogs in wheelchairs and how active and happy they continue to be. You can even look up used wheelchairs if you don't want to spend as much money. Look on eBay or craigslist. But it's important that what you decide to go with is high quality because it's going to be a really important part of your dog's life for the remainder of his days.

• PRO
    Elite Interiors & Furniture Gallery
    7 years ago

It is also important that the wheel cart is the correct size for the dog.

• jfrwright
    7 years ago

I know that there are adjustable wheelchairs on the market where you can adjust it yourself.. don't even have to take it to the manufacturer or your vet.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    7 years ago

One of my dogs lost use of his back legs. He loved his wheelchair and it gave him back his mobility, but there are other issues to consider--bowel and bladder control. We kept him going for 18 more months, and he was happy, but it was a heck of an effort to keep him clean and dry. It was a 24 hour a day watch him every minute job. We learned to how to help him empty his bladder, we learned how to empty his colon. Not everyone can do that. His bladder finally "froze" and we had to say goodbye. We did it, but it was tough.

• jfrwright
    7 years ago

It's never easy taking care of a disabled dog, even more so when there's paralysis or loss of bladder/bowel control... Dog wheelchairs can work wonders for so many pets and there owners but you have to constantly evaluate the quality of life your dog has.. when it gets to the point where it seems like their suffering is inevitable is when it's time to make the toughest decision of them all. So sorry to hear about your loss, it's one of the toughest things to have to experience in this life.