Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toothpaste and dental spray for dogs?

Posted by ms_minnamouse (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 23, 11 at 1:32

I've been looking at what's out there in terms of toothpaste and dental sprays and there's so much to choose from.

For the last few years, I've been using Petco brand baking soda toothpaste but I recently noticed that it has artificial sweeteners in it and I don't like that.

So what's a good toothpaste that doesn't have artificial sweeteners in it? I'm not big on holistic stuff, I prefer proven ingredients like Chlorhexidine and baking soda, and Ginger can't have corn, wheat, soy, chicken, or beef. So that leaves out a lot of the meat flavored ones.

I also want to step up her dental care and start two rescue dogs off by adding a dental spray. Again, a lot that I've seen have artificial sweeteners or are hollistic. Again, I prefer without any artificial sweeteners and I prefer proven ingredients like Chlorhexidine, etc.

Thanks a bunch for any suggestions!! Please don't make this a debate about hollistics. I have a right to my opinion, please respect that.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toothpaste and dental spray for dogs?

I started using PetzLife Oral Care Gel after reading numerous good reviews. It does a very good job of softening and removing tartar. The ingredients are distilled water, grain alcohol, grapefruit seed extract, and a proprietary blend of herbs and natural oils (whatever that means). I don't know whether your dog would have trouble with the grain alcohol if he has allergies, but you only use a small amount.

You could just use grapefruit seed extract mixed with glycerin as described in the article I linked.

Here is a link that might be useful: graperuit seed extract

o

Use baking soda on a piece of cotton gauze

o

I'm not a big fan of alcohol.

Ginger can't have grapefruit because of a medication she's on (I realize it's not a large amount but she would be consuming some, I'd think).

And grapefruit seed extract is a very weak disinfectant at best. I've done research on it when looking for a cleaner for my parrots' stuff.

Thanks Mazer. She hates the taste of baking soda, I don't blame her. It's so salty. I may go with Drsfosterandsmith baking soda toothpaste because the ingredients are so limited, with no alcohol, artificial sweeteners, or alcohol. I hate paying more for s&h than for the actual toothpaste though. Seems odd.

o

I forgot to say that PetZlife sounds hollistic, which I'm not a big fan of. I want something clinically proven to remove plaque and tartar.

The ingredients in PetZlife aren't proven. The results people could be seeing could just be the abrasive action of the brushing. Plus, the prices for this product are ridiculously high.

o

Our vet told me to try this after teeth cleaning visit. It seems to help. I just give a pump into the dogs drinking water every morning.
I can buy it from the vet or online. I've gotten it cheaper than Amazon shows it right now. I think I paid $13/bottle. It lasts quite awhile for the 2 Chihuahua's that live here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Biotene Water Additives

o

If you find one check out the label for xylitol. It's used heavily in toothpastes and is toxic to dogs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here