Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linds14_gw

Sudden dog urination on bed

Linds14
13 years ago

I have a one year old Poodle mix puppy..I love him to death, but am so frustrated with him. He has been potty-trained pretty well since we got him when he was about 5 months old with only an occasional accident in the house when he didn't get to go outside for a while.

Suddenly, however, he has been pottying in the house, and is going on our bed. The other night I took him out to potty about an hour before bed and he went pee, then when we went to bed he jumped down and pee'd all over the floor. I cleaned it up and we went back to bed, then he went above my pillow (he likes to lay there occasionally) and started peeing all over my pillow right above my head (luckily I jumped up quickly and he didn't get any on me!) That was two nights ago. Today I took him out right away when we woke up (which is what I do every morning) and he pee'd right away, then came in the house and 10 minutes later pee'd on the living room floor. Now tonight I was all excited because I bought a new bed-set and put it on the bed, so my hubby was laying on the bed and I was standing next to it and I was literally saying "I hope the dog doesn't potty on the bed with our new comforter on it!" when the dog jumped up and pee'd right in front of us on it. He has never done anything like this before. As soon as he was done he ran right to his kennel because he knew he was in trouble.

I don't know what to do with him! I do plan on taking in a urine sample to the vet in the next day or so, as soon as I get a chance. But could this be a problem besides an infection?

He ALWAYS pee's on my moms bed at her house too. We can't get him to stop doing that either. Does he just have a thing for beds? And I hate to admit it, but I get very upset and yell at him and give him a spanking...I probably shouldn't do that..but I get so frustrated and am not sure how to handle this...HELP!

Comments (7)

• mazer415
    13 years ago

Your pup is still pretty young, and it sounds like it is not getting the "message" his bladder is full.
    Question - when you take your dog out for its potty duty, do you just let it outside.. do you walk it to the curb? do you walk it around the block? What is your routine?
    Just so you know your dog may not be able to help itself, your getting frustrated and hitting your dog may end up making things worse, some dogs will urinate when feeling afraid or upset..
    So take your dog out for 15 minute leash walks every 2 hours and see if that helps. When you are out walking tell him to pp outside or whatever term you want to use. When he is in the actual ACT of peeing, use the term again and praise him for peeing. DO this every time he pees outside on walks, it wont take long before he realizes that to pee outside is a great thing and he is getting treated well for doing it outside.

• mazer415
    13 years ago

Your pup is still pretty young, and it sounds like it is not getting the "message" his bladder is full.
    Question - when you take your dog out for its potty duty, do you just let it outside.. do you walk it to the curb? do you walk it around the block? What is your routine?
    Just so you know your dog may not be able to help itself, your getting frustrated and hitting your dog may end up making things worse, some dogs will urinate when feeling afraid or upset..
    So take your dog out for 15 minute leash walks every 2 hours and see if that helps. When you are out walking tell him to pp outside or whatever term you want to use. When he is in the actual ACT of peeing, use the term again and praise him for peeing. DO this every time he pees outside on walks, it wont take long before he realizes that to pee outside is a great thing and he is getting treated well for doing it outside.

• carmen_grower_2007
    13 years ago

Sounds like a puppy who should still be crated at night until he learns that peeing is for outdoors only.

• annzgw
    13 years ago

If he were peeing only on the bed I'd say it's a training/behavior problem, but now that he's going in the house shortly after walking him I'd definitely have him checked out by the vet.

First, I'd start by not allowing him on ANY furniture in the house. Then I suggest you google one of the many articles on the web to learn the correct way to crate train your dog. If you can't make him stay off the bed by command, then you need to keep a collar & leash on him until you feel he's house trained. Do the same at your Mom's house.....always have control of him.
    Scolding and hitting only makes matters worse so you'll do better to only allow him to sleep beside your bed in his crate until his behavior changes. Personally, I'd buy another crate for the bedroom and do some re-training with the other crate so that he doesn't associate it with punishment.

Poodles are very intelligent & house train easily, but they're also very sensitive. As you're already seeing, negative reinforcement during discipline will always work against you and create even more problems.

Is the pup neutered? If not, neutering him will help with some of the alpha signs he's showing.

• eandhl
    13 years ago

"I get very upset and yell at him and give him a spanking". This is making matters worse.
    He needs to be checked by a vet for possible UTI. If negative you need to start the housebreaking procedure again. If he was housbroken once it shouldn't take long.

• calliope
    13 years ago

It sounds to me like you are taking the appropriate first steps in ruling out a urinary problem. Urinary problems aren't always infections, however. There is a condition called overflow incontinence, and it was displayed by a schnauzer we had years ago. He went out to pee frequently, but we weren't watching how much urine he was passing when he did, evidently. I found him on our couch peeing one day and he rarely, if ever, had accidents in the house. His bladder was full to nearly bursting, and he had a stone blockage and the pressure of the urine in his bladder was forcing it out. I doubt this is the case in a dog as young as your's however.

I had another little schnauzer/poodle mix who was very good with his house-training and knew he was not to defecate on the floor. He got creative then when he needed to go and nobody was around to let him out. He deposited a pile on the woodwork, carefully balanced.......on top of a floor waxer and in my daughter's ballet slipper. Technically he did not poop on the floor, or at least I suspect this is how his thinking process worked. Peeing on beds, well that's not the same as floors. LOL. Maybe your dog is thinking this too.

First off, is he urinating or marking? There is a distinct difference and you can usually tell by the amount passed. Secondly........marking is reduced if a male dog is neutered young enough. Has he been? Thirdly, dogs learn best by positive reinforcement. Not negative. I understand your frustration and desire to punish him, but it's self defeating.

Poodles are very intelligent animals and usually pick up on house-training quickly and easily. I think as others have said, you may need to go back to square one and re-train him and do it by the book.

Dogs do display behavioral problems too. I'm not qualified to even discuss that, but there is a chance it's intentional if he is.

I wish you luck, but if you rule out physical problems, it's solvable with a lot of patience and doing it right.

• Elly_NJ
    13 years ago

Don't hit your dog.