Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
femalebauz

Momma Cat Sick

Femalebauz
10 years ago

Our cat gave birth a week ago today. She has since gotten very sick. She won't eat, drink, or use the litter box. We took her to the vet and they did a lot of expensive tests that revealed nothing. We have started giving her water in a syringe but that only works for so long. THey sent her home on an antibiotic saying she had an infection in her uterus.
We are not sure what else to do with her. She looks very sad and it is breaking our hearts waiting for the antibiotic to take effect. If anyone else out there has had this happen or has any ideas on what to do please help. I have searched the message boards and have not found any other suggestions.
Thank you

Comments (4)

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

Sounds like hospitalization on IV fluids and antibiotics would be best... that not an option? Then removal of the uterus would be a good idea, too, if it's actively infected. May be costly, but could save her life.

Did the kittens die, or she trying to feed them? She will run out of milk soon if she hasn't already, being sick like that, so if she's still trying to nurse, probably best to take kittens away and feed them with bottles/kitten milk replacer so mother cat can spend all her energy trying to heal.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

I'm surprised the vet sent home such a sick cat. IV fluids and antibiotics are what she needs. Did they do an ultrasound?

• bkydrose
    10 years ago

I'm sorry to be an alarmist, but a cat that doesn't eat for a few days can develop Feline Hepatic Lipidosis which left untreated can be fatal. The best treatment is IV fluids, etc at the vets. But if that is not available to you then the next best is to syringe feed your cat at home using A/D canned food. You get this food at the vets and the feeding syringes also. If her liver is already impaired, then a feeding tube is recommended. Antibotics can make a cat feel nauseous and reduce her appetite further. You can look up syringe feeding on the internet to see the various ways people have coped with a cat that isn't eating.

I won't go on any further because I don't know if you are checking for responses. I have three cats who all have, at some time or another, been syringe fed. If you want more details I can supply more info about syringe feeding (also called assisted feeding).

• aurorawa
    9 years ago

I know this is an old post, but I do think it is worth mentioning that cats who have recently had kittens are at risk for puerperal tetany (aka. milk fever, and aka eclampsia).
    Symptoms are:
    anorexia (loss of appetite)
    stiff gait
    lethargy
    fever
    panting
    neuromusclular excitability/irritability (twitching of whiskers, involuntary muscle spasms)
    restlessnes
    increased respiratory rate (breathing)
    convulsions
    Eclampsia in cats is caused by a rapid decrease in calcium levels of the momma cat. It is VERY treatable and VERY preventable. You can prevent eclampsia by feeding stray pregnant cats a high quality kitten food. If the pregnant cat is not a stray, wait until her kittens are born, then feed her kitten food. Momma cats, stray or not, should continue to eat the kitten food until a week after they have fully weaned their kittens.
    If you have a momma cat with eclampsia, EMERGENCY treatment is needed and it is EASY. The vet first do blood work, and if low blood calcium levels are found, s/he will administer calcium gluconate via IV.
    Once kitty is stabilized, she will have oral calcium gluconate, as well as a vitamin D pill to take. The vet may want to do an EKG to check for cardiac (heart) arrhythmias.
    I am sure that OP's momma cat did not have this (expensive tests were done, and I will assume that the vets included calcium levels), but I do want to bring this to everyone's attention, just in case!

This post was edited by AuroraWA on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 23:27