Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunshinetm

painting & dog scratching it off ???

sunshinetm
14 years ago

I have very low window sills in some of the rooms in my house. We are in the process of painting them & repainting some of the doors in the house. We have painted all of these things in the past & have had a problem with the dogs getting excited by the windows & scratching up the window sill paint. Also they will scratch a door if the door is closed & they want in it. Has anyone found anything to prevent the paint from getting so scratched up looking, other than to keep touching it all up or not painting them at all? I was thinking of trying to put a piece of Plexiglas over the window sills & if they began to look bad I could just replace them. This is the only idea I come come up with so far. Anyone have any ideas about this? Thanks, Terri

Comments (7)

• petaloid
    14 years ago

I have hung a soda can with some coins in it on the knob of a door I didn't want my dog to scratch. That worked pretty well, because he hated the coin jingling noise.

Using a really good primer (not the quick-dry kind) is important in painting window trim.

Wish I had more suggestions, but that's all I can think of.

• mazer415
    14 years ago

Go get yourself a piece of acrylic, measured to the size you want and make a way to attach it to the wall where you need the area protected. Or you can train your dogs to stay off.....either way will work

• Dtkaty
    14 years ago

I heard about the following product on the Home Decorating forum. Maybe it'w worth a try.

I no not work for this company!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sill Shield

• eccentric
    14 years ago

We also have this problem - and I also thought of Plexiglass. But I went to Staples and bought some Bristol Board which I then proceeded to tape against the wall under the "favoured" window - using 3Ms blue tape - the one that can be used for 14 days without taking off paint - and then I put pieces of tape across the sill where the claws of death grip. Doesn't look great but it works. We have a 22 lb. American Eskimo - with long legs. But he has to hold on to the window sill in order to look out - and bark. This is Plan A - and probably Plans B - Z. So far so good.

• greengirlreba
    14 years ago

When my dog was scratching the door I put some sheets of really rough sandpaper right where she scratched, she quit within a couple days and didn't start again even after I took the sandpaper down.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Leafgreen............I hope the producers make a mint on this one. It's an idea whose time has come. I can't even imagine how difficult it must be for renters, who have animals and how they must live in fear of that kind of damage.