Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisonls_gw

Cat irritable bowel

alisonlS
9 years ago

Hi, I'm hoping to connect with others dealing with this problem. I have an older cat who has had irritable bowel and triad syndrome that we've been dealing with for many years. She's doing well. A couple of years ago a year old stray showed up living in our crawl space, so naturally we took her in too. She's now been diagnosed with irritable bowel also, although presenting very differently than my older kitty. Our young one seems quite healthy and happy but vomits liquid chronically. She eats well and rarely vomits any food; usually it's during the night and it's all very bad smelling liquid. Our vet, who is excellent, has recommended a variety of very expensive tests which we simply can't afford at this point, especially since care for the older cat is not cheap. Our younger kitty was eating a diet of about half raw and half high quality canned. Grain free. On our vets advice we took her off chicken about six weeks ago. Two weeks ago we went to a single protein raw diet; pheasant. She gets nothing else. The vomiting decreased at first but is getting worse again. I'm very reluctant to go directly to steroids, but we may have no choice. I wonder how much of this is stress since she's not happy being in a household with another cat. I've tried to find her a home where she would be happier, but I've had no success. We're about at our wits end trying to manage this situation. I'd love to hear other people's experiences with this condition; what has worked, what hasn't, and how to manage. Thanks for any perspective anyone can offer!
Alison

Comment (1)