Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boystown

Blue Buffalo dry dog food

boystown
12 years ago

I recently changed my 20 lb dog to Blue Buffalo bits. I am noticing an increase in his thirst. He has only been on this food for 2 days. I am hesitant to give him more of the Blue Buffalo. If you have any experience with Blue Buffalo, please comment. Thank you

Comments (17)

• annzgw
    12 years ago

My dog had problems with it. The groomer claimed his coat looked great but he started throwing up a yellow slime about once a day. And now that you've mentioned it, his water intake did increase compared to what he drinks now. He also would pick out and not eat the small dark nuggets that are mixed in the food.

I switched him to Nutro Ultra Adult and he hasn't thrown up since. Plus, he eats it best of any dry food I've ever offered. For a treat he gets canned Nutro Ultra Weight Management every 2-3 days.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    12 years ago

I feed my two dogs BB and have not noticed any increase in thirst. Make sure you aren't overfeeding.

Mine are doing very well on it.

• boystown
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you both for your kind replies. I have not noticed any vomit and I did reread the bag of Blue and it does mention to be sure and keep fresh water available for the pet of which I do. I give him 1/4 cup of the Blue twice a day. He is a Brussels Griffon with hip displasia and we have to watch his weight.

• animallover32
    12 years ago

I read somewhere once that dry food for cats or dogs will increase water consumption, and that the best food to feed them would be a wet or moist food. I've been giving my little ones Purina's Moist and Meaty. They seem to like it. But I have little guys/gals.

• User
    12 years ago

I had my 7 month old puppy on the lamb and rice for puppies and she didn't do well on it. The vet said some of the higher end foods don't have all the "stuff" they need and are too rich for their systems. I ended up mixing Iams with Eukanuba rice and lamb but am stumped about what I'll feed her once she matures. So many of the foods on market have experienced recalls it's hard to trust any of them.

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

Check out this site for some reviews..

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

• cocontom
    12 years ago

Our dogs had horrible (like we were on the interstate with the windows down when it was below freezing horrible) gas with it.

• lucygoose
    12 years ago

I love Dog Food Advisor!! Go read!! Think grain free....Dogs are carnivores... Good Luck!!

• cocontom
    12 years ago

Dogs ARE NOT carnivores. They're omnivores, just like people. Cats are carnivores, but we're not talking about cats here.

• User
    12 years ago

Forboystoo: Thanks for the link! I will!

"Our dogs had horrible (like we were on the interstate with the windows down when it was below freezing horrible) gas with it."

LOL OMG! so did our poor puppy! It was so bad we'd have to vacate the room! LOL

• lucygoose
    12 years ago

Excuse me cocontom.....you are so right, they do eat both meat and plants.... and cats are the carnivores...true!!...but I do tell people I run into who usually know nothing, about what is on the back of a grain based food they might be reading at the grocery store, that dogs want meat....not saying this poster is that person but anyone I run into ....so sorry....I forgot how forum people can jump on you if your not totally perfect! But yeah, dogs need high meat....not that a carrot or apple wouldn't hurt.....

• User
    12 years ago

No worries, cocontom was sort of harsh with her response and there's really no need for that, but dogs do need more than protein in their diet. I would also like to say that I think those articles can be somewhat misleading and caution should be taken when changing your dogs food.

When we got our puppy I was all gun ho about providing her the best food possible. She came to us on IAMs but after reading all those articles, I was convinced that was not a good food for her and started to gradually switch her over to Wellness Lamb & Rice instead. Well, within days it made her sick. Our Vet said it was too strong for her tummy and suggested that I try something different and something with LESS protein in it because heavy protein can cause rapid growth which can contribute to hip dysplasia later in life. So once again, I slowly switched her over to Blue Diamond Rice & Lamb Puppy kibble which other than heavy gas, seemed to do okay for her....at first; but after a month or so, she got sick again not once but twice. At that point the Vet asked me why I wanted to change from IAMS and when I explained what the articles said about hybred foods being better for the dogs, she said it was somewhat misleading. Yes some some dogs require a no grain diet due to allergies, but for dogs and especially puppies without allergies, there are actually some benefits that can come from having some grain in their diet and it's the ALL grain filler foods that should be avoided. She said that these hybred foods and too much protein have their own set of problems as well especially with puppies and larger dogs.

On the Vets recommendation, she now eats a 50/50 mix of Eukanuba Puppy Rice and Lamb & IAM's Puppy Smart, which seems to be a perfect balance for her. She's not been sick once, her growth and weight are perfect for her age and her coat has gotten very soft.

I would say that while these articles can be very informative, you have no way of knowing if they also leave out pertinent information and before changing anything in your dogs diet, you should really talk to your Vet first. I thought I was doing the absolute best for our new puppy because of what I had read and in the end, it wasn't the best at all.

• montana800
    12 years ago

I would change to a different dog food that doesn't bother them so much. There are many very good dog foods that might be kinder on your dog's system. You do have to make sure they have plenty of water no matter what dog food you are feeding them.

• lindac
    12 years ago

I am currently in kibble limbo too. I have an 18 month toy poodle. She was on Royal Canin small breed kibble....but they changed the formula to include corn and my store won't carry it. So we tried Blue Buffalo, which agreed with her....but she sorted the dark stuff and left it all over the floor.
    It all seems to agree with her....but the issue is will she eat it....you know poodles.
    Glad to hear that my little brat isn't the only one to sort out those dark bits in the Blue Buffalo.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    12 years ago

As I said above, I feed my two dogs Blue Buffalo. My little Havanese has been my picky eater, but with adding a little warm water to the dry food, she sits behind me crying for me to hurry up. She loves it that way.

My mini schnauzer eats anything, but seems to enjoy having it watered down a bit too.

• abnormalspring
    11 years ago

Hello I was googling around when I found this thread so I signed up just to post to it.

Around the date you guys were all posting this blue buffola was switching to a new manufacturing company because of problems with said company. I have personly seen every ingredient that goes into a lot of the high end dog foods.

The black pieces/bits you were talking a out is we're the meat is at in the dog food the kibble/light collared pieces have no meat In them at all. So if your dog is not eating the bits your dog is missing a lot of the nutrients that are in the food and you should switch diets.

Profession extruder operator.

• ilmbg
    11 years ago

Just a comment..
    I thought I was doing a good thing by putting my miniature dachshund om BB.
    To my horror, when her teeth got worse and worse.
    My vet said he does not like BB because it it too soft and tends to stick to the tooth and gum line. My dog had 4 bottom teeth pulled.
    She is now on SDOral care...huge chunks that she has to work at to eat it.
    Cleaner teeth and better breath.
    I now try to brush teeth daily. Sometimes it is 2-3 times a week.