Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christineanne_2009

Dog rolled in a dead animal

christineanne_2009
15 years ago

My minature schnauzer rolled in a dead animal (squirrel) and smells horrible. I have bathed him twice, but he still smells! It so so bad that I can hardly stand to have him in the house. What should I do?

Comments (19)

• trinigemini
    15 years ago

Have you tried washing him with a vinegar water mixture?

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

Peroxide and baking soda...

1 quart of peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda and a drop of liquid dish soap... mix together in a large bucket... its going to foam up - so be care full. And you want to get this mixture on the dog while it is still foaming... rub it in real good.... don't get it in his eyes or mouth.

After you work the foam in all over, rinse him really well and smell.

You can repeat it if he still smells. You may to follow up with his regular dog shampoo.

• mazer415
    15 years ago

Snort - ahhh a dog being a dog. Bear poop is the worst!!! Good luck.

• housefairy
    15 years ago

They usually go in head first. So they slide up their snout and around their neck. So check the head, you may not be getting him clean around the nose.

I'm sure he thinks he smells wonderful!

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

I never thought of coffee before, but it is a natural deodorizer. I use a homemade coffee soap that works great getting the fish smell off my hands... after I've cleaned fish. I've never thought about using it on my dogs...

Though my worst stink lover has passed away. He loved to roll in dead fish... Its been a while since I've had to destink a dog.

• mazer415
    15 years ago

Actually your dog can die from a caffeine overdose just like people can so be careful about them licking the coffee.

• Damboluv_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I use essential oil called Purification ( for anyting that mskes my dog smell like sh** . Just one drop on their neck after bath does wonders. Ur dog will smell sooo good :)

• Kristen Mariposa
    8 years ago

Be careful with essential oils on your dogs too. There are some that are dangerous to them. Essential oils should be treated just like medicines. They are much stronger for them than they are for humans. I urge you to find out which essential oils are in that blend and if they are essential oils or just fragrance oils. If they are EOs , look them up to see of they are safe or not and/or ask your vet.

• User
    8 years ago

I've heard of the peroxide/dawn soap mixture before. I don't have a dog, but I want to extend my sympathy! And as another poster pointed out, I'm sure your dawg thinks he smells divine. Hang in there...

• josephene_gw
    8 years ago

Someone recommended a douce (sp) product to get rid

of skunk smell. Can you imagining buying enough for a

large dog? Lol

• User
    8 years ago

I recently purchased Drs. Foster & Smith Deodorant Shampoo, which is vet-approved and specially formulated to rid odors and keep dogs fresh.

• SaltiDawg
    8 years ago

The dog has been smelling bad for six years?

• socks
    8 years ago

It's always good to get additional ideas for a problem we hope we never have!!!

• SaltiDawg
    8 years ago

Thank you for the helpful instruction. Are you a Moderator?

Wait a minute, I know you are not a Moderator based on the helpfulness of your posts.

• Brandi Brandi
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

My dog just went out to potty and came back smelling like rotten something.i can't bathe her right now,what can I do/rub her with! Thanks!!

• Brandi Brandi
    6 years ago

I can't do the coffee or peroxide bath.

• Lauren
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Try a paste of baking soda (mix baking soda with water-- not too thick not to runny).

A couple months ago, my dog got vomit all over herself. I tried everything. Only the baking soda paste worked. Let it sit for a while to work its magic.

Today, my dog has a stink spot on her face even after a bath, so I just applied some. I'm going to leave it overnight.

• petslove2022 p12
    2 years ago

Hey ! Perhaps I have an answer to this question.

Causes

Before dealing with any unpleasant action of your pet, you need to consider the features that can lead to such action. There are several reasons for wallowing in moldy stuff and garbage.

Nice Smell

It may seem strange, but dogs perceive scents in a very different way than humans. The pleasant smell of flowers for us may not cause them any emotions, but the smell of garbage is just as pleasant for them as perfume. Therefore, the desire to fall in rotten meat can be dictated by pleasant sensations.

Instinct

They inherited this habit from their ancient relatives – wolves. Before hunting, they often smear themselves in such things to disguise their scent. When the prey does not smell the predator, it is much easier to catch it. That is why the desire to wallow in the trash is often more acutely felt by hunting dogs.

Stress, Strong Emotional Upheavals

Sometimes dogs want to avoid unpleasant situations in this way (in this case, the procedure of dumping in the garbage acts as a disguise). The pet may be trying to avoid encountering an unpleasant animal or going to the veterinary clinic.