Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

how to get rid of skunk smell

doucanoe
17 years ago

Well, the recent surge in temps here in MN has apparently brought the skunks out of hibernation. My German Shepherd got sprayed by one last night and WHOOOOOEEY does he stink!

From past experience, tomato juice, Febreeze and the other remedies I have tried do not work. I had a recipe for a concoction that was a quart of peroxide, along with a couple of other thing (maybe baking soda? I don't remember) that helped a bit, but I could not find the paper I had it written down on.

Anyone have a tried and true remedy to get rid of skunk musk on a poor, unfortunate dog?

I can't believe in all the years that dogs and skunks have been cohabitating on this planet that someone hasn't come up with a sure fire product!

Linda

Comments (17)

• annzgw
    17 years ago

The link below has the recipe. The key is to let the solution set on the fur for about 5 minutes before rinsing. Buy enough for the size of your dog. For a GS you may need 3 times the amount shown in the recipe.

For the face area, I always saturated a small rag and carefully worked it around the mouth and eyes. Do not get this stuff on any mucus membranes!

Here is a link that might be useful: skunk remedy

• dobesrule
    17 years ago

Be sure and use all the solution, don't try to store it... it'll blow up.

Lisa

• cnetter
    17 years ago

I've had real good luck in the past using white vinegar. It also worked well at getting the smell out of my clothes, the carpet and off of me.

• measure_twice
    17 years ago

the skunk formula works very well, but not perfectly. Nothing works perfectly against skunk odor!

1 qt hydrogen peroxide
    1/4 cup baking soda
    1 tsp liquid soap

Don't fret too much about the exact quantities. Any soap or shampoo will help the water penetrate down to the skin. The peroxide breaks down the chemical. The baking soda helps absorb odors, too.

Stormy and Avalanche both got sprayed some months ago. We got them a few hours after being sprayed, and used 3 quarts of the skunk solution on each dog. It really helped, but their face and head still stink if they get damp and you put your nose in their fur!

Our black lab got skunked a few years ago in the summer. We used the skunk solution and sent him out in the sun to dry. The peroxide and sun frosted the tips of all his hairs! [grin]

• oddity
    17 years ago

In addition to the other remedies posted above, get doggie toothpaste and brush his teeth regularly (don't use people toothpaste because it can be harmful to pets).

• annzgw
    17 years ago

Forgot to mention to use some eye drops/eye wash (soothing types) in his eyes if he got sprayed in the face. It may also be worth a call to your vet to have his eyes checked afterward.
    I've read that a direct spray to the eyes can lead to blindness.

• mamabear_on
    17 years ago

LOL....Linda, my golden got sprayed in the face just before Christmas so I know what you are going thru. The recipe mentioned above is the one that I used and it worked fairly well....we had to redo twice and it was suggested here on the forum to use Dawn liquid because is helps break down the oils in the skunk spray.

We also made the mistake of bringing her in the house right away......what a smell......we boiled vinegar in a pot and opened all the windows to get rid of the smell.

Good Luck

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the recipe and info, everyone. That is the recipe I had lost, and it's the only thing I have used that works even a little bit! Mo seems to tangle with a skunk every spring for some reason. Guess he doesn't want them in "his yard"! LOL
    Annz, I had never heard that skunk spray can cause blindness. I will be calling my vet right away!

Linda

• annzgw
    17 years ago

Linda,
    It can cause temporary blindness if sprayed directly in the eyes and the burning sensation is painful. If the dog rubs his face a lot (like my dog!) on the ground after being sprayed, he can scratch the cornea which could lead to infection if untreated.

It's claimed the spray won't permanently blind the dog at the time he's sprayed, but I know that one summer my dog took 'hits' to the face on a weekly basis. It could have been from age but he lost his sight a couple years later. In his case, I believe being sprayed directly in the face didn't help any! He did suffer a scratched cornea a few times.

I still recommend watching him carefully or having the eyes check by a vet.

• klimkm
    17 years ago

There is stuff you can buy in stores, but I have heard vinegar works.

• spiritual_gardner
    17 years ago

I adopted a 9 month old Lab/? a few years ago. She was severely skunked the day I rescued her from a shelter, got it right in the face.

I tried tomato juice and white vinegar, with some degree of success. I also purchased something (sorry can't remember) from the pet shop. Neither of these things worked completely. I have a groomer that I have used for years. She said that there was nothing she was aware of that would totally get rid of the stink. It was worse when the dog got wet from the rain.

I took about 4-5 months, numerous regular baths to get rid of the smell.

Good luck!

SG

• mazer415
    17 years ago

You may have to use the peroxide solution a couple of times on your pet. Be sure not to mix the ingredients and put them in a bottle - they will blow up...Good luck

• Terrapots
    17 years ago

Yes, watch the eyes. Our friends dog was sprayed while they were out of town and no one to clean her eyes or rest of her, she came in and out the doggie door until they came home (WOW). She lost her sight gradually right after that, it was so sad. The vet said he was sure it was from the skunk spraying her eyes.

• acorn
    17 years ago

Skunks are like cats and the spring is their breeding season. From Feb 'till May they wander looking for mates, after that they stay by themselves. Here it is so sad because we see them dead on the highway. I happen to like skunks

• foosacub
    17 years ago

Linda, how did the anti-skunk mix work for you? Hope it went well. (this coming from someone who has been lucky enough to avoid getting a whiff of a skunk spray thus far, thank goodness!)

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, he still has some odor on his neck, but other than that, he's getting "sweeter" by the day! He is sneezing a lot, tho, and he never sneezes. Wonder if the spray can cause irritation of the nose (it sure does irritate MY nose!)

Linda

• chmpgntst
    17 years ago

First of all, what constitutes a surge in temps in MN? Highs in the 20s? ;-)

Our Shelby dog got sprayed numerous times when we lived in CA. Let's see: 4:35 a.m,. when I was due to leave for a HUGE work event at 4:45; 2:30 a.m. on a Tuesday (my husband and I both smelled so much from washing her that both of our workplaces smelled like skunk that day); and pre-dawn on Mother's day.

If you suspect it's going to happen, you can stock up on Nature's Miracle skunk remover. It instructs you to apply it before you wet the dog. It works on the oil. Once you wet the dog, you're in an oil-and-water situation and that's nothing but trouble.

Truly though, only time will take away the smell. Lots and lots of time. :-)

Amy