Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it OK to give cats canned sardines in tomato sauce?

Posted by pranjal (kpanman@eim.ae) on
Sun, Feb 25, 07 at 15:35

Hi All

Was just wondering, is it OK to give cats sardines in tomato sauce - just as a treat, once in a while? Our cats were very interested in a can we opened today. I've never given them anything except canned cat food (and cooked chicken and rice when they were younger) until now. And they've never been interested in any other food until today.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it OK to give cats canned sardines in tomato sauce?

It probably wouldn't hurt to give them a little bit as a treat on rare occasions, but do make sure there is no garlic or onion in the ingredients (both are toxic to cats and dogs).

Laurie

o

Sardines are a great source of Omega 3 for dogs and cats. Maybe rinse off the tomato sauce (it's not bad for them, but it might be spicy). You can buy sardines in water just for the kitties. My cats and dogs eat them once a week. The nice thing about sardines is that they are immature fish so they haven't been around long enough to pick up the contaminants in the water that other fish have.

o

Thanks Laurie and Cynthia! The cats loved it (there was no onion/garlic in the ingredients, and they wanted the tomato sauce too!). They aren't interested in any other food besides canned cat food (they're fussy about the brand too), and I'm happy they liked this for a change. Good nutritional value, too. I'll try sardines in water for them next week.

o

My dogs love canned sardines for a treat too.Have never tried sardines with tomato sauce.It might be good if i could find some.
vickie

o

Thanks for starting this thread. I was thinking of getting some for our cats, but never thought of giving them to our dog too, so she'll appreciate it!
My childhood cat had raw liver with tomato juice for kidney issues and he loved it. The vet suggested it. I don't remember the details, though, it was a long time ago and my folks took care of him most of the time.

o

I gave my cats sardines in water for Christmas lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here