Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trace of blood in puppy's poop

Posted by debbiep (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 28, 10 at 14:03

The puppies will be 4 weeks old this Wed.,after just cleaning out their area I put down a clean sheet and turn around and saw a trace of blood in poop.I've no idea which one did it and there are nine of them.Could this be parasites?They are not eating food yet only nursing.We wormed them at 3 weeks but I used over the counter worming medicine for puppies and did not use the recommended dosage(i was worried it would harm them)as I had no way to weigh them.Any advice,other than go to the vet?If one gets visibly sick or I'm able to narrow it down to which one maybe sick then I can take it to the vet.Debbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trace of blood in puppy's poop

ahhh..Debbie..sorry you have one more worry with the pups. I know that hookworm can cause a bloody stool, but imagine there are other things that would too. sorry I can't give you advice, hopefully someone more experienced in puppydom can help you out with that. I have mail on the way to you by the way....

o

if you find it again, take the stool to the vet and have them do a fecal exam. shouldn't be necessary to take the puppy. chances are, if one pup is affected (coccidia, parasites, etc.), they will all be affected and your vet can determine the proper treatment.

o

Its very common for pups to need multiple doses of dewormer over a period of time.

I would take the stool sample to the vet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here