Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sprained chicken leg?!

Posted by jenibeth (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 18, 12 at 13:57

I have a very small belgian d'uccle (5months old, 12oz) recently a very young, but rather large silkie rooster (4months old, 3+lbs) became obsessed with this particular hen and began to jump on her as if to mate, even though neither are of breeding age! The d'uccle's leg went out from under her when the roo jumped on her, and now often slips when walking. We have seperated the birds, leaving the d'uccle with a couple month old birds. Do we need to treat the leg like we would for a splayed leg hatchling or should we just allow time to heal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sprained chicken leg?!

LOL Oh boy. Sorry for having a chuckle Jenibeth, I know this is serious for you because they are your birds, but reading the thread topics today was pretty funny. Dislocated cat tails and sprained chicken legs was just not what I was expecting to see.

We have birds and if one had a sprained leg, I would put it in secluded area, where none of the other birds can bother it and give it time to heal. If it's not doing even marginally better in a couple of weeks, I'd take it to the vet to have it checked. The question is, are you sure it's just a sprain and not dislocated? If you're not sure, a trip to an avian vet for an xray would probably be wise as the care to heal it may be different.

If you do put it in a secluded area, please be sure it has what it needs to nest and be comfortable. For our birds, we have a plastic bin that has perches for them and room for them to stretch their wings. You want your hen to have enough room that she can both nest and walk around a few times a day to exercise the leg.

o
RE: Sprained chicken leg?!

Try posting on the forum linked below. Great group of folks and someone there will know what's happening with your hen.

Here is a link that might be useful: chickens

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here