Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbiep_gw

Reasons for trembling

debbiep_gw
14 years ago

Is there a way to tell what reason a dog is trembling?Is it pain,cold,anxiety?My 7 yr old female basset Lucy started trembling again.She does not do it all the time.She does not appear to be in pain.She trembles when we leave or when she thinks we are going to leave.I just noticed her trembling laying on the couch and I covered her and was talking to her and she starts trembling even more.I walk around and glance at her when she doesn't know I'm looking and she is not trembling.She was at the vets overnight before Christmas and they say she was not trembling then.She does have a spine problem but she does not seem in pain like before when she was diagnosed.She does not jump more than two feet now.Doesn't run much either.I can give her tramadol but I hate to if its not pain related.She does not tolerate medicines very well.Any ideas other than a suggestion to go to the vet?TIA.Debbie

Comments (8)

• quasifish
    14 years ago

Do you think it's possible that she trembles to get attention/ comfort from you?- you mentioned that she was not trembling when she didn't know you were looking at her, we had a lab that did something similar.

It started when our dog was young and we lived in a cold climate. One time when it snowed and she had to go outside, she came back quickly and was shaking from cold. DH let her in and gave her all sorts of attention. After the cold weather passed, she would still do this- but only with DH. With me, she would not tremble, but the moment she saw DH she would start shaking violently- we think she knew she would get some sympathy and loving from him if she did that. OTOH, I would just let her inside without much fuss, so she didn't make a fuss either.

Later when we lived where is could be 100 degrees outside, she would still do the same thing when she got done outside and wanted to come in. Again, she apparently didn't associate that specific comfort with me, so she wouldn't tremble for me. She also did this at bath time, I remember one particular time after she went deaf that DH was walking around the backyard while I was washing her and she did not realize he was there. The moment she caught sight of him, she began to tremble violently and acting very much the victim. With her, once she caught site of DH and started trembling, she would become very visually fixated on DH- clearly she had an agenda even if it was unconscious. I wonder if Lucy might have somehow been conditioned to tremble for attention much like our girl did? From what you wrote, it sounds to me like anxiety (especially in regards to you leaving) might trigger the response.

• debbiep_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I actually do think its anxiety/attention.I left right after I wrote this and she walked me to the door and I looked back and she was trembling.I just went on out the door.She demands a lot of attention it seems.If you shut her out of a room she cries,etc.I'm sure I have contributed to this behavior as she is our first inside dog and I've probably treated her like a child.At any rate I don't want to ignore it if she is in pain...Debbie

• mazer415
    14 years ago

If you can set up a camcorder to tape her it would be best. Her trembling might just be anxiety - if so a small daily dose of Rescue Remedy might help -ask the vet first.

• joepyeweed
    14 years ago

You rewarded the trembling behavior with positive attention on your part.

• debbiep_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I know.I've been watching her since I posted this and it may not be all anxiety.I've noticed trembling in her back end slightly while sleeping.

• snikcilla
    14 years ago

This may sound crazy, but have you ever had your dog's blood pressure tested?

My dog used to tremble, I had no idea what it was. But a time later when she had health problems and was given lots of tests, etc. Her bp was high. Once on the bp medicine, the trembling seemed to reduce greatly. Don't know if there was a connection or not, but it certainly seemed so to me.

Good luck.

• amyta
    14 years ago

Why don't you consult your vet?

• debbiep_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

She has been to the vet many times and has been treated when they think its pain related.Sometimes its not pain related though.I use my judegement as to when to give her meds for pain as she does not tolerate meds well.