Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Allergic to cats?

Posted by socks12345 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 13:17

A dear friend wants to adopt a cat, but she is allergic to cats. Is there any way she could have a cat? Is there anyone here dealing with this problem, and if so how have you dealt with it?

Her symptoms around cats are sneezing, running nose, itchy eyes, sinus distress--pretty bad.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Allergic to cats?

I'm not allergic to cats but I think I've heard of a shot she can get for that?

o

I'm allergic to cats and various other things ... I was on allergy shots for many, many years ... they helped. I have 4 cats these days and am no longer on allergy shots. I do take an over-the-counter generic Claritin daily ... it also helps.

But it sounds like your friends symptoms are pretty severe if she suffers just from being around other peoples cats ..

There are numerous ways to cut down on the allergans that a cat would produce, frequent bathing (if you can get the cat to allow that), frequent vaccuming, etc.

She should really google "allergic to cats" and read the info that comes up. There are tons of links ...

o

Thank you both. How wonderful to hear of your success, Pam. We have both done some reading on the internet, but I wanted to check here for success stories. Sounds like the "multi-pronged" approach works the best. Try everything.

o

Before she adopts a cat, she should get the de-sensitization, have the results tested, and have her allergies field-tested by some heavy exposure to cats that aren't hers.

She could stay with someone who has cats, borrow a cat for a couple of weeks, etc.

But don't get the cat and then try to control the allergies.

o

lazygardens, what great advice !!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here