Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
getting littermates !!

Posted by vnuala (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 11:38

has anyone had any problems with getting 2 pups from the same litter ?? i am getting 2 female shihtzu's in 8 weeks time as i have 5 children ages 2,5,10,15,18,and it saves the fighting over one pup,i also know they will be spoilt rotten especially by my 10 and 15yr old daughters.I am getting a crate with a devider and will train them seperate as this is what it says on the net when trying to find out a little about 2 pups.Has anyone done this and has it worked.Thanks in advance Vicky. (the crate is only for sleeping) i am also at home all day and have owned a shihtzu before ,she passed away 4 yrs ago age 13.

This post was edited by vnuala on Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 11:47

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: getting littermates !!

Got to be a troll. Registered today. And no one is that foolish. 2 small breed puppies, with a 2 year old and a 5 year old in the house? Of a breed that is particularly difficult to housebreak? Got to be a troll.

o

& she doesn't want to get only one because the children would fight over it.

o

And littermates? Never a good idea. They will bond with each other and won't be good pets for children, especially not that young. And you're right, a lot of them never get housebroken. If this isn't a troll, those pups are aimed at a rescue in a year or so. If you aren't a troll, please get only ONE of those pups and work with it for a year or so. It will be a lot of work, and if you get littermates you'll have to put 3 or 4 times the amount of work and energy into raising them. Not a good idea at all. Better yet, wait until your youngest is 5 or 6. It's hard to have the time and energy and attention needed to raise a puppy under the bets of circumstances, and you have 2 kids that need at least as much of your time and energy as one pup would need.

Oh, and toy breeds need to be with mother and littermates until they are 10-12 weeks old. They don't mature as fast as most larger dogs, and need the learning and socialization they get from their mother and littermates. Yes, they will be weaned at 4 or 5 weeks, but weaning has NOTHING to do with a pup being ready to leave home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here