Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenandgold_gw

brittle dog nails

greenandgold
16 years ago

Has anyone else had problems with their dog's nails becoming extremely brittle?

I have a 4 year old lab who has always been extremely alergic/sensitive to many things. She had demodectic mites when she was a puppy, can't eat most dog foods, and was released from her service dog training because something at the training center was giving her extreme respitory problems.

About 4 months ago, we noticed that one of her nails had split up the middle. We took her to the vet, and they removed most of the nail. Within two weeks, another did the same thing. Shortly, all of her nails started flaking away and growing in hollow. If you look at the underside of her nails, you can literaly see a hollow effect where there is a large open gap between the hard cover of the nail and the nail bed. So far at least 9 of her nails have either fallen off on thier own, or had to be removed by the vet (I don't mean completley removed, but the hard part comes off nearly to the farthest point of where the nail starts.)

Our vet is at a loss. He doesn't think it's fungal, and he doesen't think it is diet related. His guess at this point is something genetic. We've got her eating 3 packets of Knox jello every day to try to strengthen the nails, but I think the reasearch on this is anecdotal at best. We've just started switching her food around.

Has anyone else had anything resembling this happen to their dog?

Comments (8)