Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cat eating the dog food

Posted by jwahlton (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 29, 12 at 9:04

I have a cat that "adopted" me. When he was outside, he would eat the cat food, no matter what. But now that we have allowed him in the house, he is only eating my dog's food. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cat eating the dog food

Feed your dog separately so that the cat can't access his food. Dog food does not contain enough protein and even more importantly, taurine, for cats. Taurine deficiency can cause cardiac disease and blindness in cats.

Laurie

o

I have tried that but Jerry doesn't eat his food, only when he is starving. He's a beagle! He only eats when I immediately put it down is if I mix it with wet food. This morning there was no dog food and I put cat food in Zumbo's dish. He went over, sniffed it, and walked away!

o

What laurie said.

No one will stave, and without taurine, the cat will go blind.

o

Canned foods are healthier for your animals, anyway, so why not just switch to canned so that they'll actually want to eat what you offer them?

Laurie

o

Two of my cats love dog food. Cats are fed up high away from dogs and every night when I give the dogs some wet food in their dry, two of my cats run over. I put a small teaspoon of the wet in a dish for them as a treat. No worries as that's only a tiny fraction of their diet. All of them eat Purina ONE and Beyond.

o

I have the same problem with a couple of my cats, too, who are offered Wellness wet, but prefer the dog's dry (Fromm). I solved this by buying wet dog food and using it to make "gravy." I mix a small amt of dog wet with water to form the gravy and poor it over dog dry. The dogs will then eat their food right away at mealtime, instead of nibbling at it all day, so it's no longer sitting out all day and available to the cats. One suggestion tho, I store the wet dog in the fridge, of course, but take it out of the can and put it in a different cont'r. Seems like the can makes it gross after it's opened. I feed everyone at the same time, and the cat food is not available to the dogs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here